RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

"0-60 in less than 4.6 seconds"

Old 02-19-14, 05:02 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Motor trend clocked isf 4.2 zero to 60 and mid 12.5. I had my F at track 12.4 and a 1.9 60 foot. I put that zero to 60 at closer to 3.9-4.0. These numbers on all season performance tires.

The rcf has to be in the 3's and low 12s.
Old 02-19-14, 05:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Motor trend clocked isf 4.2 zero to 60 and mid 12.5. I had my F at track 12.4 and a 1.9 60 foot. I put that zero to 60 at closer to 3.9-4.0. These numbers on all season performance tires.

The rcf has to be in the 3's and low 12s.
MotorTrend did 0 - 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and 1/4 mile 12.9@111 mph in the IS-F. The RC-F should be in the 3.9 - 4.1 seconds and 1/4 mile in 12.2 - 12.4 second range.

Old 02-19-14, 06:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
And I would be willing to pay 85K for this kind of GT-Rish performance...
Bingo…. When I met with Lexus it was crystal clear they know what they are doing with this car and they put a TON of effort into it and they are not worried about non enthusiasts making up whatever they want on the internet. I mean they created the LFA for goodness sakes which is now regarded as one of the best cars of all time.

Wait until y'all see the launch for this car.

There is no other car from Asia in this realm. The GT-R is a full blown freak of nature but not a luxury car and costs way more. There is nothing else like the RC F and like the IS F will find buyers.

In regards to the IS F..Lexus is hard on work on new engines….
Old 02-19-14, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Don't compare the IS F to the M3? Do you realize how you sound right now to everyone?

The forum is dead? Its a brand new model for crying out loud not to mention this site isn't ran like a BMW site.

Then you ask "where is the GS F" Can you go taunt elsewhere? Again we are not boasting about the LFA as BMW has no answer for it (as you CONVENIENTLY IGNORE).

If this is the level of posts in the RC F forum, it will remain dead. No one wants to see this over and over.
So true. The M3 has been out for so many years, and I'm sure many in the M4 forums are current or former M3 owners. The RC-F has no predecessor so we are building from scratch. This forum will be busy once the car is available. Now it's just speculation, so not a lot is going on.
Old 02-19-14, 09:02 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Bingo…. When I met with Lexus it was crystal clear they know what they are doing with this car and they put a TON of effort into it and they are not worried about non enthusiasts making up whatever they want on the internet. I mean they created the LFA for goodness sakes which is now regarded as one of the best cars of all time.

There is no other car from Asia in this realm. The GT-R is a full blown freak of nature but not a luxury car and costs way more. There is nothing else like the RC F and like the IS F will find buyers.

I agree with you Lex but I am cross shopping the RC-F with the M4. I am one of the buyers that Lexus is hoping to lure into the RC-F. Right now I can tell you that the M4 is ahead of the game because of the pricing. BMW guessed it correctly that by making some options standard and increasing price ( official prices are now announced) minimally, they will lure us. Honestly, the M4 was not in my shopping list but when I heard about the base price, I was surprised and started to appreciate this offering. I can assure you one thing. If Lexus matches the pricing, I will not be going to the dark side.
Old 02-19-14, 09:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
It took Audi about 15 years of S and RS models to get some kind of respect in Europe, and they they lost every single comparison against M and AMG the first 10 years, and they still do sometimes.

The major problem is of course the models S and RS were based on. The 2002 Audi A6 ( RS6 ) was a boring and heavy car in every way, not even God could make something fun out of this. Same with the RS4.

Lexus is different. The upcoming F models are all based on very good and balanced chassis.It will take them much less time to really compete with the germans.
Stop making sense and having perspective!

This is the internet!!!!
Old 02-20-14, 12:18 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
08 isf vs 08 m3? yes i might agree. it wasn't much of a comparison at all, m3 won hands down

2012 isf vs 2012 m3, i don't agree. the isf has come a long way and the isf drives well and pretty neck to neck. i can see the progress there. granted i agree it was a lot of patch work here and there mostly because the car wasn't planned since day one, but i think lexus is progressing
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Exactly, look how far the F came in 6 years, the M has been honing its craft for many more than that. Props to Lexus
Originally Posted by Mr Bond
It took Audi about 15 years of S and RS models to get some kind of respect in Europe, and they they lost every single comparison against M and AMG the first 10 years, and they still do sometimes.

The major problem is of course the models S and RS were based on. The 2002 Audi A6 ( RS6 ) was a boring and heavy car in every way, not even God could make something fun out of this. Same with the RS4.

Lexus is different. The upcoming F models are all based on very good and balanced chassis.It will take them much less time to really compete with the germans.

I have agree with the above statements. Lexus is just now really diving into the performance car sector so time has to be given for them to perfect it. Its not really fair to compare the BMW M series when that brand has been around for decades now. Lexus came on as a luxury car brand, not a performance brand. Thats what the toyota side of the house was for, thats where all the sports cars lived(supra, mr2, celica, corolla,etc).

So yes its easy to say the BMW forums are more popping than here, but at the same time they have alot more fan boys as well. So yes i can give BMW their due but those cars have been establishing a legacy for a long time. thats one of the biggest selling points to those cars. Like said, they can slap an "M" badge on anything and it garner respect. Had the F brand been around as long this whole debate would be in a whole different direction. The only downside to BMW models to me is they all have the same boring interior in every car and it all looks the same from as far back as the E36. Same boring orange interior lighting and all(even though i do kind of want an E9x M3 lol).

But as far as the LFA being one of the greatest cars of all time, that i wont agree on. That was car is cool in every right but it under performed to everything it was put up against so that doesnt say greatest to me for the price tag on that car. But thats just me
Old 02-20-14, 06:40 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
But as far as the LFA being one of the greatest cars of all time, that i wont agree on. That was car is cool in every right but it under performed to everything it was put up against so that doesnt say greatest to me for the price tag on that car. But thats just me
You clearly have missed a lot. I could put a lot of charts where LFA comparatively overperformed next to other cars. He is stating what very consistently the actual drivers (including Lexus haters) have said including race car drivers and professional drivers It had beaten Ferraris, Mercedes, Audis and Lambos in multiple comparos (also beat them in the Evo UK "best engine of the year 2011" comparison).

All in Lexus' first try. It performed better than anyone who was driving it expected. Some European professional race car drivers placed it in the top 5 best cars they have ever driven.

Top Gear ranked it in the top 10 greatest cars (and they usually place all Lexus cars near the bottom typically). It won on the merit of sheer driving excitement, balance, exclusivity, technology and an incomparable 9500 rpm F1 V10 sound. Oracle CEO calls his LFA as the best car he has ever owned (over his Enzo Ferrari, Porsche Carrera GT, McLaren SLR).

Regarding "underperforming", that is absolutely ridiculous. The car was on street tires because Lexus wanted it to break loose and oversteer rather easily. It was not on racing slick tires for maximum grip all the time unlike all the other supercars today.

In Top Gear USA it still has the 2nd quickest stock El Torro lap time ever recorded with the Stig. Ranked MotorTrend's top 10 fastest cars ever tested. Was second quickest in a group of 30 cars tested in the lightning lap (they admitted they went easy because it was Roy Mallady's LFA).

Still,it consistently pulled a best of 1.10 g on the skidpad, had a slalom speed of 75.4 mph, hit 60 - 163 mph in only 16 seconds on street tires. Even if it was not a numbers car, these are still numbers in the very top range even 5 years after LFA first went into production.

It also still holds the record of the quickest production Nurburgring lap time on street tires.

Sure you can disagree as much as you like, but it has been consistently hailed by a big majoirty as one of the very greatest of all times and certainly the greatest car to ever come out Japan.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-20-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
So true. The M3 has been out for so many years, and I'm sure many in the M4 forums are current or former M3 owners. The RC-F has no predecessor so we are building from scratch. This forum will be busy once the car is available. Now it's just speculation, so not a lot is going on.
Even so we are talking 200-300 a month in the USA! Say even half join (which would be an insanely high number) well maybe 5 are active in the first year as actual owners. Then there are other forums as well.

BMW's, even a base one is historically going to attract a younger buyer more likely to join a forum compared to a Lexus. Then the BMW forums are ran by actual BMW owners and enthusiasts which trickles down the rest of the forum. I've met the owner of Bimmerfest for example a couple of times and he is a diehard BMW owner and guy and you can see it on his forum.

Picking this place apart when the car hasn't even been sold yet is preposterous and to leverage it as some sort of failure on Lexus part is just really grasping for straws.

I agree with you Lex but I am cross shopping the RC-F with the M4. I am one of the buyers that Lexus is hoping to lure into the RC-F. Right now I can tell you that the M4 is ahead of the game because of the pricing. BMW guessed it correctly that by making some options standard and increasing price ( official prices are now announced) minimally, they will lure us. Honestly, the M4 was not in my shopping list but when I heard about the base price, I was surprised and started to appreciate this offering. I can assure you one thing. If Lexus matches the pricing, I will not be going to the dark side.
I am 100% with you that the RC F and M4 are competition and amazing and you can't go wrong with either one, even before I've driven either Still looking at the IS F forum and LFA forum, many owners are die-hard Toyota/Lexus guys/gals who finally had an option to move up to. I agree there are those that cross-shop.
Old 02-20-14, 12:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youll get nickel and dimed on everything else like the typical German pricing model. Comparable 335 to my car was $56k, $8k higher than MSRP of my car.
Old 02-20-14, 05:36 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread.

My only gripe with the RC-F is weight. Other than that the car looks great, and hopefully will perform great. Also hoping for <4.2 sec 60s
Old 02-21-14, 08:44 AM
rgr555
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the weight.

I don't really care for being .3 seconds faster than the next guy more so than feeling substantial in a luxurious sports car.

Hopefully Lexus learned something from the GTR and it's weight. The vectoring and power delivery should make up for some of the weight too.
Old 02-21-14, 04:51 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm sorry it's road and track 4.2. 0-60.
Old 02-21-14, 05:17 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You clearly have missed a lot. I could put a lot of charts where LFA comparatively overperformed next to other cars. He is stating what very consistently the actual drivers (including Lexus haters) have said including race car drivers and professional drivers It had beaten Ferraris, Mercedes, Audis and Lambos in multiple comparos (also beat them in the Evo UK "best engine of the year 2011" comparison).

All in Lexus' first try. It performed better than anyone who was driving it expected. Some European professional race car drivers placed it in the top 5 best cars they have ever driven.

Top Gear ranked it in the top 10 greatest cars (and they usually place all Lexus cars near the bottom typically). It won on the merit of sheer driving excitement, balance, exclusivity, technology and an incomparable 9500 rpm F1 V10 sound. Oracle CEO calls his LFA as the best car he has ever owned (over his Enzo Ferrari, Porsche Carrera GT, McLaren SLR).

Regarding "underperforming", that is absolutely ridiculous. The car was on street tires because Lexus wanted it to break loose and oversteer rather easily. It was not on racing slick tires for maximum grip all the time unlike all the other supercars today.

In Top Gear USA it still has the 2nd quickest stock El Torro lap time ever recorded with the Stig. Ranked MotorTrend's top 10 fastest cars ever tested. Was second quickest in a group of 30 cars tested in the lightning lap (they admitted they went easy because it was Roy Mallady's LFA).

Still,it consistently pulled a best of 1.10 g on the skidpad, had a slalom speed of 75.4 mph, hit 60 - 163 mph in only 16 seconds on street tires. Even if it was not a numbers car, these are still numbers in the very top range even 5 years after LFA first went into production.

It also still holds the record of the quickest production Nurburgring lap time on street tires.

Sure you can disagree as much as you like, but it has been consistently hailed by a big majoirty as one of the very greatest of all times and certainly the greatest car to ever come out Japan.
i wont dispute some of that but the nurburgring part is not true. the LFA(with the nurburgring package) was behind even the SRT-10 ACR Viper.....

I didnt say the car was a slouch but it performed on the same level with the GTR and its about roughly 5x more expensive. now i would take an LFA over the GTR just on how common you see the GTR nowadays. one of the greatest cars to come out of japan, sure. but saying its the greatest car ever, no

Last edited by jdmSW20; 02-21-14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 07:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
i wont dispute some of that but the nurburgring part is not true. the LFA(with the nurburgring package) was behind even the SRT-10 ACR Viper.....

I didnt say the car was a slouch but it performed on the same level with the GTR and its about roughly 5x more expensive. now i would take an LFA over the GTR just on how common you see the GTR nowadays. one of the greatest cars to come out of japan, sure. but saying its the greatest car ever, no
I said LFA holds the record of the quickest production lap time around Nurburgring on street tires. Viper SRT-10 was wearing Michelin Pilot Cup 2 racing slick compound tires. (watch national geographic narration in video at 1:31)

Regarding the Nissan GTR, LFA is so much more than just numbers. That is what people only realize when they drive it and ranked it in the top 10 greatest cars ever made (and the only Japanese car in top 10). It is also the only Japanese brand that has beaten Ferraris in comparos. From Jay Leno to Jeremy Clarkson to professional race car champion Sandor Van Ees.

Gazoo LFA has also beaten Nissan GTR by a big margin in N24 endurance racing (same SP8 and SP8T class). This year LFA will be competing with a bigger 5.3 L V10 and a 4.8L V10.

Why do you think GTR sales plummeted by almost 80% since 2009 despite incremental improvements every year? Even if we take out the carbon fiber aspect of LFA, I see used Nissan GTRs now selling fo $50K etc. on autotrader, but all of the used LFAs still go for over $300K. NASCAR owner Rob Kauffman auctioned his LFA for $505,000. The history of 2000 GT tells it best. Most likely after 20 years, it will be selling for $1.5 million+.

Roy Mallady who owned both a modified 700 HP Nissan GTR and 2 stock LFAs would be the best person for you to ask why he calls his LFAs the best cars he ever owned .

The simple reason is, Nissan GTR is built strictly a robot-like for numbers with a single focus complete with an AWD that practically drives the car and Dunlop DSST GT Maxx are proper semi slick tires would block shoulders. If numbers are what one goes by, the quickest cars on the race track cost a tiny fraction of even $100K.

LFA is a big power supercar with RWD intended for track racing and relatively weak Potenza tire so the 0 - 60 mph had been very inconsistently due to either bogging or too much wheelspin. Still, it could pull 125 - 126 mph trap speed and mid-11s.

In a more real life relevant scenario where power to weight ratio and rolling start is a much bigger factor, 60 - 100 mph, 60 - 125 mph (consistently 7.1 - 7.3 seconds), 60 - 150 mph+, 1 KM or 1 mile, LFA was testing much quicker than GTR. As a matter of fact, GTR loses even to a 500 HP GT3 RS from a rolling start.

p.s. Nissan GTR costs ~ $105,000 when LFA was in production and LFA was $375,000. That is not 5x.

In this video, it is easy to see how quick LFA is from a rolling start compared to a lightweight 3200 lbs 455 HP IS-F CCS-R on slick tires

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-21-14 at 08:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "0-60 in less than 4.6 seconds"