RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

DIY Custom Phone Mount RC

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 01:43 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default DIY Custom Phone Mount RC

Just thought I would share a DIY I created caused by one of my major struggles since I bought my car. That is to find a phone mount that is functional and locate it somewhere in the car that is convenient without obstructing the buttons or functions of the car.
Disclaimer: Do not attempt to do any mod, even as simple as this one if you are not comfortable. The following information can be done at your own risk and remember you assume all responsibility.

What you need to do this project, along with links:
  • Pry tool - I purchased a set a while back, link can be found here:
    Amazon Amazon
  • CD style Phone mount - I purchased this one, link can found here:
    Amazon Amazon
  • 8MM Socket - I purchased a socket set, linked can be found here:
    Amazon Amazon

First thing which needs to be done is(if you purchase the same cd phone mount I have) is to apply a small piece of thick tape right behind the button which triggers the open/close mechanism. The only reason this is needed is because after driving with this particular phone mount, I noticed there is a rattle caused by only this button shaking. Believe it or not, this was very annoying and actually what prompted me to start the whole project! I am not sure if the same issue exists with other phone mounts or if the rattle from the button is caused by car power or suspension. Once the tape is applied, you can hold the mount from the CD insert piece and shake it and you should not hear any noise to validate. The picture below illustrates how I added a small piece of 3M double sided tape:

Next, we move to the car and remove the panel closest to the center console on the passenger side. Only a little pressure using the pry tool was needed to pop this off quickly. The following screenshot highlights the two 8 MM screws which will need to be removed after you pop off the cover.

After the bolts have been removed, you can pull back on the other trim piece leading to the rear of the car until you have enough space to insert the CD mount vertically.

Next make sure, that the CD insert piece being inserted has been reset to be aligned straight with rest of the phone mount and position it in the space created close to the top of the center console. The mechanism (Spinning screw handle piece of the mount) which would be normally be used to insert into the CD player is no longer needed and can be unscrewed out completely.

Snap the trim pieces leading to back in, and re-insert the screws. Make sure to hand tighten these screws only so you don't strip them. Because the CD insert piece was rather thick, there is still room to improve this mod for a more flush fit. That said, there was literally no gap or space created where the mount was inserted all the way down the center console but I did feel (not see, since it isn't visible) a gap created at the highest point of the trim located near the glove box. Later on I will plan to shave the insert piece alone down to eliminate that. The following pics show the finished product after putting everything back together.

The mount is able to swivel so passenger control is not a problem either!

It's important to note that you need to place phone into the mount and leave enough space to shift gears if planning to view horizontally as I have shown. That said, in most cases, since the mount can swivel, you can adjust on the fly. Some pics with a Iphone X mounted in different positions and in different gear positions to show clearance was not an issue.

Final thoughts:
  • The mount looks and feels great, provides cushioning for the phone.
  • This DIY makes the important car buttons still accessible.
  • The only buttons which become harder to access but not impossible is the heated and cooled seats for the passenger...but hey who cares about them anyway. I should initiate those features for them when they ask me only lol.
  • Total cost since I had the tools already was less than 10 bucks since I bought the mount a while back at a cheaper cost.
  • Not certain, but maybe this method can be used on other Lexus cars.
  • I did not proof read this post, so excuse my grammar. Too lazy to correct anything now.

Hope someone finds this DIY useful for their RC. Additionally, if you want to check out my build where I have posted other random and sometimes useful information about my car (Roxanne) specifically, follow the link here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...xanne-3-a.html

Cheers!
The following 5 users liked this post by lexual_rc:
15RC350F (03-27-19), CLightning (03-27-19), DaveGS4 (03-26-19), louczar (04-02-19), tfischer (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 05:36 PM
Roobarb
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks cool.
Nice DIY thread. Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
lexual_rc (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 10:46 PM
Jay hall
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a nice DIY, thanks for sharing bro.. i've tried many phone mounts but this is way cooler, will def be trying it over the weekend.
BTW you have done the same mods that i've been wanting to do...
1) Could you please share more pics on the interior carpet design
2) the center clock you changed to Digital or is that something else??
3) the center console and gear shifter; is it carbon fiber vinyl ?

Thanks in advance..
lexual_rc (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 05:22 AM
mpugeda
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Creative! Thanks for sharing your DIY.
lexual_rc (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 07:14 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a windshield mount that I like a lot, but I do hate having a wire from my center console up to it. I really need to find someone who can run a USB charging port (or lightning cable) up to the mirror area. Not much of a DIYer here.
Old 03-27-19, 07:53 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by Jay hall
That's a nice DIY, thanks for sharing bro.. i've tried many phone mounts but this is way cooler, will def be trying it over the weekend.
BTW you have done the same mods that i've been wanting to do...
1) Could you please share more pics on the interior carpet design
2) the center clock you changed to Digital or is that something else??
3) the center console and gear shifter; is it carbon fiber vinyl ?

Thanks in advance..
Good luck with the DIY and thank you! That would be a boost gauge and the shift **** is a carbon fiber overlay. There are more pics of the carpet and other mods found on my build page which I mentioned in the initial post. The link is listed again for you below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...xanne-3-a.html
Old 03-27-19, 08:03 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by 15RC350F
I have a windshield mount that I like a lot, but I do hate having a wire from my center console up to it. I really need to find someone who can run a USB charging port (or lightning cable) up to the mirror area. Not much of a DIYer here.
It is fairly simple to run the wire down the pillar on the drivers side but the painful part is that you still have to run it all the way to USB port near your seats. I prefer to have a wire easily accessible for when I chose not to use the mount but still want to use the phone with wire attached. Looks like Lexus intentionally designed the cover of that arm rest to allow space for this wire to come out. In any case, good luck with your set up!
Old 03-27-19, 08:26 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That's a very neat install, and an elegant use of the CD type mount. I see that phone-holding part can be removed from the base part by releasing the ball and socket, which I may do from time to time, as I don't need the phone for nav, but I do use it for podcasts and music via Bluetooth.
There is a newer version of the mount which costs a dollar more; the difference seems to be that the new one uses a spring loaded grip on the right to hold the phone in place, instead of having both sides slide open and closed. So the new one has no button to rattle. Unfortunately, it's not available in red. The CD insert part looks to be the same, so the project will present me with a chance to use my Dremel Tool to taper the ends, to avoid unseemly bulges.
Finally, the Forum Grammar Police have reviewed the text and you have nothing to worry about, having used the contraction "it's" correctly.
I think I'm going to order the mount today, and I will follow your excellent directions and photos.
Well done, suvi2k.
lexual_rc (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 08:40 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by tfischer
That's a very neat install, and an elegant use of the CD type mount. I see that phone-holding part can be removed from the base part by releasing the ball and socket, which I may do from time to time, as I don't need the phone for nav, but I do use it for podcasts and music via Bluetooth.
There is a newer version of the mount which costs a dollar more; the difference seems to be that the new one uses a spring loaded grip on the right to hold the phone in place, instead of having both sides slide open and closed. So the new one has no button to rattle. Unfortunately, it's not available in red. The CD insert part looks to be the same, so the project will present me with a chance to use my Dremel Tool to taper the ends, to avoid unseemly bulges.
Finally, the Forum Grammar Police have reviewed the text and you have nothing to worry about, having used the contraction "it's" correctly.
I think I'm going to order the mount today, and I will follow your excellent directions and photos.
Well done, suvi2k.
Thanks so much! Since you are attempting to improve the mod, I did want to mention I saw some other CD mounts online which use magnetic phone mounting that may be even better. Just an FYI but someone would have to try to be sure. I agree that using a dremel tool (is the best tool) to reduce thickness of the CD inserting piece for this mod. Good luck and please share pics of the finished product with us!
Old 03-27-19, 09:27 AM
tfischer

The magnet mounts require me to glue a magnet to the back of my phone and have it there all the time, for the only slightly marginal convenience of inserting it quickly onto the mount. I carry my phone in my pocket all the time and don't want that extra weight and bulk on it, not to mention that a magnet would probably interfere with the wireless charging pad I use.
I ordered the newer version of the one you have, as I think the spring loaded clamp on one side looks to be neat, quick and a one-handed operation.
When I use the phone for audio via bluetooth only, and the occasional phone call, the battery will last all day, so I don't use a charging cord at all. Those who use it for maps, navigation, waze, etc, may want to consider running a charging cable to this location. If charging is not used much, just having the cable run from the console to the phone for long drives is easy; there is a space for the cables to exit the console toward the right, allowing the console top to snap shut.
Old 03-27-19, 07:29 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I tried this mod today (thank you suvi2k for the idea). Unfortunately the part of the phone holder that wedges between the plastic center console and the Nuluxe covered panel left a gap WAY too large for my liking. ...and this was after sanding down the phone holder (using a belt sander) as much as I could without ruining its structural integrity. Pretty sure this gap would permanently warp the panel if left it that way. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a different route.

Last edited by CLightning; 03-27-19 at 08:43 PM.
blackbond (04-08-23)
Old 03-28-19, 07:34 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by CLightning
I tried this mod today (thank you suvi2k for the idea). Unfortunately the part of the phone holder that wedges between the plastic center console and the Nuluxe covered panel left a gap WAY too large for my liking. ...and this was after sanding down the phone holder (using a belt sander) as much as I could without ruining its structural integrity. Pretty sure this gap would permanently warp the panel if left it that way. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a different route.
Thats unfortunate but thanks for your feedback. Could you share what model car you have and which phone mount you attempted the mod with? Additionally pictures would be best to show the gap if you took any. I have been using the last few days and haven't had any issues even though I haven't had a chance to use a dremel tool to thin down the mounting bracket.
Old 03-28-19, 06:52 PM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
The magnet mounts require me to glue a magnet to the back of my phone and have it there all the time, for the only slightly marginal convenience of inserting it quickly onto the mount. I carry my phone in my pocket all the time and don't want that extra weight and bulk on it, not to mention that a magnet would probably interfere with the wireless charging pad I use.
I ordered the newer version of the one you have, as I think the spring loaded clamp on one side looks to be neat, quick and a one-handed operation.
When I use the phone for audio via bluetooth only, and the occasional phone call, the battery will last all day, so I don't use a charging cord at all. Those who use it for maps, navigation, waze, etc, may want to consider running a charging cable to this location. If charging is not used much, just having the cable run from the console to the phone for long drives is easy; there is a space for the cables to exit the console toward the right, allowing the console top to snap shut.
If you use a case you just stick place it behind the case, mine work fine that way. Nothing stuck to my phone and you can position the metal pad where it would work best for the mount.
Old 03-29-19, 09:05 AM
tfischer

Well, now you see the problem. If I stick the magnet to the case, then I have to take off the case to charge it (every day), and put it into the case to use it in the car. For the additional, two second advantage, it's just not worth all the trouble. In other words, the "convenience tax" is too high.
After I install my swell new CD holder adaptation, I'll let you know how the newer one sided spring clip works.
Old 03-29-19, 05:11 PM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I dont use wireless charging because it takes too long when using a case.

Quick Reply: DIY Custom Phone Mount RC