RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

DIY Custom Phone Mount RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 10:37 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Hmm, I use a Kuda Mount in my ISF. Very similar mounting position. Kuda doesn't make one for the RC. A pict from years ago.

Lou
Old 04-02-19, 02:04 AM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
Thats unfortunate but thanks for your feedback. Could you share what model car you have and which phone mount you attempted the mod with? Additionally pictures would be best to show the gap if you took any. I have been using the last few days and haven't had any issues even though I haven't had a chance to use a dremel tool to thin down the mounting bracket.

You can see that the phone holder is the same as yours. As for my 2016 RC, in efforts to reduce the gap created by the phone holder, I sanded down as much as I could. You can even see that my sanding was limited by the metal bracket, as indicated by the red arrow.

This is how it looked after installing the shaved phone holder with the panels screwed in and snapped into place. The gap, indicated by the red arrows, is totally unacceptable. Not only was it ugly, the holder didn't feel secure enough which would mean it would eventually work its way out of position.
Old 04-02-19, 06:37 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

I agree with Clightning. I thinned out the phone holder piece, and even removed the center piece by knocking out the hinge pin. Even then the phone holder did not fit well, the gap between the console pieces was pretty large, and the phone was not very secure. I think thinning down the holder pieces will not work.
Better would be to take your Dremel tool and cut a notch into the horizontal part of the plastic frame directly under the seam where the console piece meets the upholstered side trim piece. If done just right, that could give a pretty snug fit and avoid the gap because the phone holder piece would be going straight down, and not at an angle.
Old 04-04-19, 08:42 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CLightning

You can see that the phone holder is the same as yours. As for my 2016 RC, in efforts to reduce the gap created by the phone holder, I sanded down as much as I could. You can even see that my sanding was limited by the metal bracket, as indicated by the red arrow.

This is how it looked after installing the shaved phone holder with the panels screwed in and snapped into place. The gap, indicated by the red arrows, is totally unacceptable. Not only was it ugly, the holder didn't feel secure enough which would mean it would eventually work its way out of position.
I will share some more pics after I use a dremel to customize this a bit more but even though you are using what looks to be the same mount as me, I don't feel like my pictures match the size of the gap you have. Even from the pictures most of the gap looks like a shadow if anything but I do acknowledge that it is there. Mine seems to exist at the upper part near the glove box and not so badly where yours is. In terms of how secure the actual mounting is, I can guarantee it is secure and snug. I have been using this every day frequently for about two weeks to both mount the phone and swivel and it works great every time. The only reason I haven't tried to rectify this mod so quickly is because:
1. I don't own a dremel and haven't found a friend that has it just yet.
2. The current installation even if a bit sloppy is working out fine in terms of asthetics or functionality IMO. Agree to disagree but I dont think anyone can even see the gap created in current state...atleast with mine.

My last comment and something I will work on would be to obtain a measure of the gap created with both with the original and dremeled mount installed. Secondly, a count of how many clips did not re-seat after the installation. In my case with the original mount not dremeled down, that number is 1. It pertains to the upper clip located by the glove box as previously mentioned.
Old 04-04-19, 08:46 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by flowrider
Hmm, I use a Kuda Mount in my ISF. Very similar mounting position. Kuda doesn't make one for the RC. A pict from years ago.

Lou
Definitely the same idea and approach I used. Looks like some very minor gap is unavoidable. This certainly makes for the best location for a phone mount hands down in the RC.
Old 04-11-19, 07:59 AM
lexual_rc

So I ended up buying a dremel since it makes a good addition to the tool collection and have anyway. A link to the tool if anyone wants below. Seems to be a good quality dremel at an even better price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXQYNHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXQYNHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After thinning down the mount inserts, this completely removed the very minor gap which existed and everything is 100% flush. Stability and construction of the mount is still great. I have used it every day since the revision to test and found no inclination that it will break or bend. Nor does it shake around though its certainly not as solid as it was before. Still its secure which is what matters.

Some points I also need to clarify from my previous post that I was mistaken about. One, there was never any clips which did not seat after the mount was added. I initially thought that was the reason the upper most part of the trim by the glove box sat out further. After using the dremel, this piece went back to its original location because I was able to tighten the bolts that hold the inner trim just a turn or two further. Below is a screenshot of the where the inserts meet the trim after everything was thinned down and was tightened up and you can see there no visible gap.

Old 04-12-19, 03:06 PM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

@suvi2k I really like it. In the end it looks very OEM. Thanks for taking the time to post the process and the parts. I think I will go this route (I have a dremel :-)
I find I have to use my phone more than I want to because the Lexus navigation system is so bad.
The following users liked this post:
lexual_rc (04-15-19)
Old 04-24-19, 11:16 AM
lexual_rc

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
@suvi2k I really like it. In the end it looks very OEM. Thanks for taking the time to post the process and the parts. I think I will go this route (I have a dremel :-)
I find I have to use my phone more than I want to because the Lexus navigation system is so bad.
I find the OEM voice controls are pretty decent once you get used to them and the Navigation isn't awful....BUT after using ANY other navigation system/app like waze , the factory navigation becomes useless! I definitely understand where you are coming and am glad you found it useful! A small tip when you use the dremel is that you will only need to thin down the piece being inserted into the car. The picture I shared below from another user sanding down the entire top part is a bit misleading to those who haven't done this. None of that part is needed to be sanded at all. I've highlighted in his picture the only part that needed to be reduced. Also, you can see the rivets at the base of his are still intact...which is probably why the fitment issues persisted.

Good luck and let me know how if it turned out ok!