RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Tinted daytime running lights illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 01:32 AM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tinted daytime running lights illegal?

Today I got my daytime running lights tinted red,
I've seen a multiple RC's owners online get them tinted various colors but after getting mine done I'm paranoid that I'll be pulled over, has anyone who's had them tinted had any problems with getting pulling over/tickets? In the daytime they look red, at night they're a bit lighter in color and look more of a pink, I've heard you can get away with having colored fog lights on a vehicle but they can't be blue, red or green so I'm wondering if these would fall under that category?
Is yellow,pink,purple,green colors you think they would let slide and not enforce as illegal?
Thanks in advance for any help regarding this I wasn't able to find anything out in my state laws about daytime running lights specifically.

Last edited by RCF303; 03-03-18 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 04:36 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Any red lights on the front of any non-emergency vehicle are illegal in every state.
In GA, blue lights are also illegal, anywhere on the vehicle.
Old 03-04-18, 07:56 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

What were you thinking? Red lights on the front of a car? In low visibility, this can be mistaken for the rear of a car, which is the purpose of the
statute. Also, in the event of an accident, this could be horrible evidence that you would not want to justify on the grounds that it looked cool.
Change them back.
The following 2 users liked this post by tfischer:
Hidalgo03 (03-04-18), scooky (09-04-18)
Old 03-05-18, 10:36 PM
Crown7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting film over a forward lighting device that is not clear is illegal (at least here in WA). However, I run neon yellow DRLs on the RC and yellow headlights on my motorcycles and have not been harassed. If it comes down to it, I'll just take off the film then and there to avoid the ticket and get new ones when I get home.
Old 03-06-18, 08:52 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I would think that if you put a yellow film over lights on the front of a vehicle, you will not get stopped, as the mobile law enforcement authorities, like the other drivers on the road, will just think that you have old, crappy lights.
Those running lights are one thing, but the most frequent complaint about headlights is that they are not bright enough, so I, for one, would certainly not put any kind of a film over them. You see less, and oncoming drivers don't see you as soon.
Old 09-02-18, 05:55 AM
Thicccluna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF303
I've seen a multiple RC's owners online get them tinted various colors but after getting mine done I'm paranoid that I'll be pulled over, has anyone who's had them tinted had any problems with getting pulling over/tickets? In the daytime they look red, at night they're a bit lighter in color and look more of a pink, I've heard you can get away with having colored fog lights on a vehicle but they can't be blue, red or green so I'm wondering if these would fall under that category?
Is yellow,pink,purple,green colors you think they would let slide and not enforce as illegal?
Thanks in advance for any help regarding this I wasn't able to find anything out in my state laws about daytime running lights specifically.
no matter where you go, red and blue are reserved for emergency vehicles. It just depends if the cops near you actually enforce it or not
Old 09-04-18, 02:00 PM
JSean21
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RCF303
If you are in California, Yes it is illegal to tint your front lights (Headlight or Day time running lights) Section 26708 (a) (2)
Old 09-04-18, 02:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Crown7
Putting film over a forward lighting device that is not clear is illegal (at least here in WA). However, I run neon yellow DRLs on the RC and yellow headlights on my motorcycles and have not been harassed. If it comes down to it, I'll just take off the film then and there to avoid the ticket and get new ones when I get home.
amber DRL and Amber Fog lights are legal. several years back GM used the parking/turn lights most of their vehicles as the DRL, yellow fog lights make a lost more sense than white, as white reflects back in snow and fog. . I know back in the 70s my parents would swap out the high beams for yellow "snow lights" in the winter time in upstate NY.