RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

How to change your oil!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 07:26 PM
Katsumex
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to change your oil!

So I don't have many pictures as I had oil all over my hands after my pan that I was draining the oil into tipped and spilled a bit on me lol. This is for RWD 350

Equipment Needed
x2 Tire Chocks
x2 Jack stands
x1 Jack
Gloves (You don't wanna get your hands dirty)
x1 Oil drain pan (You recycle that ****, most auto places take it for free)
x1 Socket Wrench
x1 Breaker bar (I'm pretty fit, it took quite the workout to untighten the bolt)
x1 10mm socket
x1 14mm socket
x1 Toyota/Lexus oil filter removal tool (It's a weird on) I bought
this one this one
cause I hate dealing with my dealership lol
Shop towels (Clean your ****)
x1 Engine Oil Filter (
I used this one I used this one
) It's the correct oem one and you can obviously use after market ones
x1 Oil Drain Plug Gaskets (
I got them from here I got them from here
) You'll need to replace the old one
6.6 quarts of your preferred oil (I used mobil 1 the extended performance) It was cheapest at walmart (It's OW-20 for RWD 350)

1. Jacking up the car
  • Chock your tires to prevent your car from rolling off the stands and pop the E brake
  • Find the jacking points on the front (I'll include the front jacking point)
  • Start lifting the car
  • After you have enough clearance to be under your car, position jack stands on the front sides of your car and let the car rest on them
  • (Optional) You can remove your jack after you have them on jack stands (I'm very careful so I didn't remove my jack cause I don't want to be squashed by a 4000 pound car lol)

2. Draining the Oil ( awwww yisssss the moment you've been waiting for, You can warm up the car if you want it to come out a bit faster)
  • Locate the drain pan, Here's a picture of what it looks like (It aims horizontal for whatever reason)
  • Position your oil drain pan to catch the oil that is about to flood out
  • Use your 14mm socket to unscrew the bolt or the breaker bar if it's too tight
  • Let the oil all leak out (In the mean time remove the gasket, it's probably stuck to the pan)
  • Clean up the screws and the mess
  • Put on a new gasket onto the screw and screw it back in once the oil has drained completely
Oil pan (My draining screw is removed in this picture)

3. Changing the oil filter (Okay this POS was on really tight)
  • Locate the oil filter cover (It has three screws in a triangle formation, you'll notice it very easily)
  • Use your 10mm socket to remove the three screws
  • You should visibly see the oil filter, it's in a metal housing
  • Position your oil pan to catch what's about to fly out of the oil filter
  • Use the tool to remove that POS (It took a lot of force)
  • Once removed, discard the filter and the O ring in the inside and clean it up from the old oil
  • Put in the new oil filter as well as the O ring, it'll be included in the filter packaging
  • Alright, make sure the oil stopped running and put that sucker back in (Don't put square cover back on just yet)
4. Fillin' her up (Time of reckoning)
  • Grab a funnel
  • Open up the Engine oil cap
  • Put the funnel and funnel 6 quarts of oil (Testing the waters)
  • Check for LEAKS (Make sure nothing is coming out, wait a bit)
  • Alright that's great, now let's put that cover back on the engine filter
  • Lower the car back down, remove the jackstands etc... (Hopefully you know how to do that)
  • Now make sure your car is leveled and check the dipstick and see where you stand on oil
  • I added exactly 6.6 quarts to get a good reading,
  • Turn on the car after all that, make sure no lights are coming up and reset the maintenance indicators.

5. Cookies
  • Give me cookies for this write up

Hopefully this helps someone who wants to do an oil change for the first time or just for this car!
The following users liked this post:
happy1977 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 08:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Excellent write up.

Just to point out (You had made it clear from the beginning that this write up is
For your RWD. RC350.

For other models of the RC series, there will be variations. For example, RCF takes 5W-30 REGULAR OIL(as called for by the Lexus owners manual,. But many use full synthetic 5W-30 oil which is OK). And it will take about 9.8 quarts.

Originally Posted by Katsumex
So I don't have many pictures as I had oil all over my hands after my pan that I was draining the oil into tipped and spilled a bit on me lol. This is for RWD 350

Equipment Needed
x2 Tire Chocks
x2 Jack stands
x1 Jack
Gloves (You don't wanna get your hands dirty)
x1 Oil drain pan (You recycle that ****, most auto places take it for free)
x1 Socket Wrench
x1 Breaker bar (I'm pretty fit, it took quite the workout to untighten the bolt)
x1 10mm socket
x1 14mm socket
x1 Toyota/Lexus oil filter removal tool (It's a weird on) I bought this one cause I hate dealing with my dealership lol
Shop towels (Clean your ****)
x1 Engine Oil Filter (I used this one) It's the correct oem one and you can obviously use after market ones
x1 Oil Drain Plug Gaskets (I got them from here) You'll need to replace the old one
6.6 quarts of your preferred oil (I used mobil 1 the extended performance) It was cheapest at walmart (It's OW-20 for RWD 350)

1. Jacking up the car
  • Chock your tires to prevent your car from rolling off the stands and pop the E brake
  • Find the jacking points on the front (I'll include the front jacking point)
  • Start lifting the car
  • After you have enough clearance to be under your car, position jack stands on the front sides of your car and let the car rest on them
  • (Optional) You can remove your jack after you have them on jack stands (I'm very careful so I didn't remove my jack cause I don't want to be squashed by a 4000 pound car lol)

2. Draining the Oil ( awwww yisssss the moment you've been waiting for, You can warm up the car if you want it to come out a bit faster)
  • Locate the drain pan, Here's a picture of what it looks like (It aims horizontal for whatever reason)
  • Position your oil drain pan to catch the oil that is about to flood out
  • Use your 14mm socket to unscrew the bolt or the breaker bar if it's too tight
  • Let the oil all leak out (In the mean time remove the gasket, it's probably stuck to the pan)
  • Clean up the screws and the mess
  • Put on a new gasket onto the screw and screw it back in once the oil has drained completely
Oil pan (My draining screw is removed in this picture)

3. Changing the oil filter (Okay this POS was on really tight)
  • Locate the oil filter cover (It has three screws in a triangle formation, you'll notice it very easily)
  • Use your 10mm socket to remove the three screws
  • You should visibly see the oil filter, it's in a metal housing
  • Position your oil pan to catch what's about to fly out of the oil filter
  • Use the tool to remove that POS (It took a lot of force)
  • Once removed, discard the filter and the O ring in the inside and clean it up from the old oil
  • Put in the new oil filter as well as the O ring, it'll be included in the filter packaging
  • Alright, make sure the oil stopped running and put that sucker back in (Don't put square cover back on just yet)
4. Fillin' her up (Time of reckoning)
  • Grab a funnel
  • Open up the Engine oil cap
  • Put the funnel and funnel 6 quarts of oil (Testing the waters)
  • Check for LEAKS (Make sure nothing is coming out, wait a bit)
  • Alright that's great, now let's put that cover back on the engine filter
  • Lower the car back down, remove the jackstands etc... (Hopefully you know how to do that)
  • Now make sure your car is leveled and check the dipstick and see where you stand on oil
  • I added exactly 6.6 quarts to get a good reading,
  • Turn on the car after all that, make sure no lights are coming up and reset the maintenance indicators.

5. Cookies
  • Give me cookies for this write up

Hopefully this helps someone who wants to do an oil change for the first time or just for this car!
Katsumex (02-16-17)
Old 04-19-17, 10:08 AM
datbluegrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the part number or the OEM removal tool? Just want to quote it out before placing my amazon order lol
Old 04-19-17, 04:22 PM
Katsumex
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by datbluegrl
Does anyone know the part number or the OEM removal tool? Just want to quote it out before placing my amazon order lol
I forget the part number but I believe it's cheaper at the dealership. You can call them and get the price (I believe it's like 12 dollars).
datbluegrl (04-20-17)
Old 04-19-17, 09:28 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do a write up. Hopefully someone will link this to the DIY thread.
Old 04-20-17, 05:35 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Oh, my God!
I used to change the oil in my cars all the time, and it took 1 wrench and 5 minutes.
I must be an old guy.
Old 04-20-17, 10:09 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Excellent write up.

Just to point out (You had made it clear from the beginning that this write up is
For your RWD. RC350.

For other models of the RC series, there will be variations. For example, RCF takes 5W-30 REGULAR OIL(as called for by the Lexus owners manual,. But many use full synthetic 5W-30 oil which is OK). And it will take about 9.8 quarts.
9.8 quart in the RCF will overfill the engine, as many experienced from dealer oil change.

Overfill happened to me twice by lexus, so I took it to Toyota next door where they had the express oil change station where I can monitor and advise not to overfill. The engine only took 9.5 quarts.

This post is a great write up, but I only paid $85 for a complete Pennsoil synthetic oil (10 quart charged) change by Toyota dealer. I think thats well worth it
Old 04-23-17, 01:11 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice detailed write up. A simple job for the trained person, but definitely helps me since I always go to someone to do this usually. Mobile 1 0-20 every 5K for me too. Car paint looking good!