RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

mod for Rain Sense Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 04:21 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mod for Rain Sense Wipers?

I've got a 2016 RC300 AWD .. with everything except Rain Sense Wipers ... is there a way to DIY and Add these? Has ne1 ever done it,... if so, easy, hard?

thanks
Legion
Old 04-04-16, 05:26 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

There are two good reasons why this is not a readily available owner-operator mod. (1) it's complex and expensive; (2) there is no commensurate advantage.
As for parts, there is a large IR sensor against the glass at the top center of the windshield (so the system does not sense the rain, but recognizes the refraction from droplets on the exterior of the windshield, at the top center), and the stalk is different as it has a control to adjust the sensitivity, a button to shift into automatic mode and a green light to show that "auto" is engaged. (I don't think the regular wipers have a green light in the stalk, but they may have for the intermittent setting, which the auto wipers don't have since auto mode replaces intermittent.) My suggestion is for you to continue to turn on the wipers when it starts to rain, and turn them off when it stops. Hundreds of drivers do this daily and report no ill effects. Until I got this car, I did that for 50 years and didn't think a thing of it.
In other words, it's not worth the cost or effort, and when you go to sell the car, the absence of rain sensing wipers is not a deal breaker.
Old 04-04-16, 07:10 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

well, ..... thanks for the info!
Old 04-05-16, 08:23 AM
tfischer

By the way, Legion, I find you statement that your RC has "everything except Rain Sense Wipers" hard to figure out. (The correct term is Rain-sensing windshield wipers.) The RSWW is not a stand-alone option, like the foglamps. It's only available on the "Luxury Package," which includes many other options, including everything in the "Premium Package." If your car has the heated steering wheel, the memory seat buttons, the power settings for the steering wheel, then you surely have the Luxury Pkg and should have the RSWW also. When I look at the options and the packages, I do not think that I could configure and RC to have everything but the RSWW.
Old 04-06-16, 05:49 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 2015 F sport with foglamps, heated steering wheel, memory seats, power settings for steering wheel and more, but no RSWW.
Old 04-06-16, 06:56 PM
tfischer

Poq: that looks pretty much like what Lexus calls "The Luxury Package," which includes RSWW. I would say that perhaps you got screwed in some way, but honestly, RSWW is a feature nobody would really miss.
Old 04-06-16, 08:18 PM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
Poq: that looks pretty much like what Lexus calls "The Luxury Package," which includes RSWW. I would say that perhaps you got screwed in some way, but honestly, RSWW is a feature nobody would really miss.
I'm not sure why you would say that..I have them on my Cadillac CTS and I love the feature. The RC doesn't have them and I wish it did.

It's nice to set it and have it come on when it needs to..sometimes even the lowest intermittent setting is too frequent.
Old 04-07-16, 05:47 AM
tfischer

I said that because, although it's a nice feature to have, it's one we can pretty well get along without. Real Car Guys are just now starting to accept the automatic transmission.
Old 04-07-16, 03:48 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
By the way, Legion, I find you statement that your RC has "everything except Rain Sense Wipers" hard to figure out. (The correct term is Rain-sensing windshield wipers.) The RSWW is not a stand-alone option, like the foglamps. It's only available on the "Luxury Package," which includes many other options, including everything in the "Premium Package." If your car has the heated steering wheel, the memory seat buttons, the power settings for the steering wheel, then you surely have the Luxury Pkg and should have the RSWW also. When I look at the options and the packages, I do not think that I could configure and RC to have everything but the RSWW.
Tim, my car did not come with the RSWW nor the heated steering wheel, but it does have memory seat buttons, power button for the steering wheel, Fog lights, front/rear parking sensors, cross traffic alert, power Moonroof, ML stereo, and a lot of other items that are parts of other packages. My car came from Lexus already configured in late November of 2014. Maybe where the car was destined to go determined what general options the car would come with.

Peter
Old 04-07-16, 04:08 PM
legion455
Driver School Candidate

uhhhhh, let's see guys, this is how it goes .... you leased a new Cadillac CTS Coupe with just about all options (also had rain sensing wipers) (also had automatic door locks, plus the memory positions worked correctly) 3 years ago,....
the wife loved that car,... but Cadillac discontinued the coupe, ... so I get her a RC300 F-Sport, Nav, Parking assist, all weather package, beautiful ride .... so what does she ***** about? "Where are my damn rain sensing wipers?" lol and she'll be tweeking me about that one for the next 3 years ... ahem.. "and why don't the doors lock properly????? huh??"