RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 350 window tint (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 05:29 PM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

35% is what you're looking for, 50% is barely noticeable as a tint and 20 and 5% are really dark.
Old 01-22-19, 06:00 PM
Wilzzonn
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProwlerRC
I'm looking to get my windows tinted for the first time ever, and I was curious if people could post some examples of what they have. I have an atomic silver exterior and I'm looking to go dark enough to still see a silhouette, but not so dark that I'll get pulled over instantly. Truthfully I don't know much about tinting so any information that can be provided is appreciated - I've heard ceramic tinting is the way to go? What percentage do you all recommend? In the state I live the law states "Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in". ...so legally going super dark is a stretch.. though most cops don't really care that much.
I always recommend "following the law" but my state is 35% so its nothing I've ever had to worry with as that is plenty, but 70% is nothing. That sucks. Ceramic lets less heat in, so it depends if you're in it for cosmetic or function.
Old 01-23-19, 01:19 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I have Atomic Silver and struggled with this myself as I hadn't tinted in decades.
I decided on 30-35% range for sides and rear. 80 for the front. I didn't change the roof.
Sounded risky dark to me, but after sitting in a few cars, I realized this was the right spot for me.
Having lived with it for a year, I can say I don't think I'd ever go lighter than this. It's just not as dark as you might think. Looking out is way different than looking in.
I also rarely (if ever) wear sunglasses in the RC. In my un-tinted truck, I wear them pretty regularly.
I think this range gives you that silhouette type privacy you mentioned. I wave at neighbors and things. They don't really see me unless I make a point of doing it through the front window.

I could barely tell the difference out the front. I doubt anyone would know unless they knew to look.
The sides are great for me. Not too dark at night, in the rain, etc.
I could see an argument for darker if you want to be super cool or maybe in a super sunny climate. I'll leave that to others. 30-35 is good for me.

I'll post some pics soon. Some with, some without.
Old 01-23-19, 01:34 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

I'm pretty sure when inside tinted cars pupils open up a bit and make the difference seem less than it really is.

No extra tint. See the red back seat and through the side/front window clearly.

Pretty sure this is with the tint. Note drive side door happens to be open so you can see front window isn't tinted much. Passenger side is darker. The angle of the light gives less apparent privacy.

Angle of light makes tint appear almost black

Good typical example of exterior privacy. Shadow only.

See diff between white car through driver window tint and no windows.
The following users liked this post:
ProwlerRC (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 05:22 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

what state are you in and maybe I can help you. I tint for a living. so I can see what is legal and what ain't. also, definitely go with ceramic film, no matter how dark you do it. it will reject way more heat than regular dyed film. my wife's RC with SunTek CXP45 on the sides and rear window and CIR70 on the full windshield.
Old 01-23-19, 05:28 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

OP here ya go. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/RI/

unfortunately you can't go with anything legally. if you were to put a light meter on your car right now, it will gauge somewhere around 78-73% from the factory. which means any film you put on it you will basically be illegal. if I am not mistaken NY passed this same law last year. if you have to pass state inspection each year, you will fail if you tint it. if you don't, then you can roll the dice and maybe be ok. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, each state is different.
The following users liked this post:
ProwlerRC (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 05:48 PM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just found out that if you get a signed document from your physician saying you have a valid medical reason for needing darkened windows, they can designate the percentage of allowable light to come through the windshield on the paperwork, and as long as you present said paperwork to an officer, it's legal. Might be worth looking into haha
Old 01-23-19, 06:16 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by ProwlerRC
I just found out that if you get a signed document from your physician saying you have a valid medical reason for needing darkened windows, they can designate the percentage of allowable light to come through the windshield on the paperwork, and as long as you present said paperwork to an officer, it's legal. Might be worth looking into haha
again, each state is different in that aspect as well. best to ask your local inspection stations if they can tell you. also, most states require you to install an UGLY 2"x3" sticker under the film in the corner of the the glass if you are getting a medical exemption. so another thing to consider.

are you looking to do the windshield? if so, I think the most for any medical exemption on the windshield is 70%, but again, your factory untinted windshield will gauge close to that before you do anything. I tinted my wife's in a 70% film, but unless I told you it was on it, you'd never know it. we tint a lot of windshields in our shop, and 70% is what people get. all of our windshields are done that way, even our daughter's Jeep.
Old 01-23-19, 08:35 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Some more views. Low light garage. Window partial down so can see out front/side/no window.
Comparisons I wish I had when I was looking.
I agree with Ceramic.
My installer talked me OUT of the top of the line ceramic he carried for one slightly more affordable. His best seller. He seemed honest to me and I'm happy after a year. Who knows, maybe his margins are higher on that brand.

Old 04-08-19, 09:59 AM
jhn76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting windows

I plan on tinting my windows on my white 2017 RC AWD 300 F Sport. 35% side windows is legal limit. Back and rear sides can be whatever. Should I tint all 35% or just do 35% on sides and 25% on rear and back? I don't want to get any tickets and don't want to drive if it's too hard to see. Any body have pics or advice?
Old 04-08-19, 10:47 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

In my area any tint is illegal on the front and windshield. I think the 35% is a forgivable (but not legal). By saying this, i still put 50% on the front windows.

If I'm gonna get a ticket, I'd rather get it from a 50% and not from a forgivable 35%. I think what cops hate are tints on the windshield.
Old 04-08-19, 12:10 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

This is really a good question and the rules seem to differ from state to state. I was really nervous about getting my car tinted but I learned from a few others what the rules in PA were. The nice thing is almost all this information can be found online.

Funny thing is, I think law enforcement exploits our under education on this topic from time to time because I know I have been pulled over for tint in the early 90's and told front windows aren't allowed to have any tint...which is clearly not mentioned anywhere now. That said, its clear laws are always changing so it may be better to check with your local DMV or law enforcement.

I'd be curious to know what the other state laws are. Primarily the neighboring ones to PA.
Old 04-08-19, 01:01 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

At least you can put 30% or can get away with 35% in your area. NJ does not allow it all on fronts and windshield.

Old 04-08-19, 01:23 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Laws about tints are stupid. It's for safety of the officers. They don't want to claim poor training of the officers.
Old 04-08-19, 01:24 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Website with links to all States: https://www.tinting-laws.com/

Quick Reply: RC 350 window tint (merged threads)