RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC 350 window tint (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 05:21 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

The window goes down about a 1/4 inch to allow the window to clear the rubber seal that seats the windows. If the battery is disconnected while the door is closed and the window is up all the way it may make it a little more difficult to open the door and at worst you might have to re-index the windows.
Old 12-12-15, 05:30 PM
letsgofast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thanks for the info. I'll definitely let them know.

I talked to the owner and he definitely doesnt want me to have a bad experience with his shop, so they are def gonna redo it and they said they'd completely detail my car as well.

They were asking if i wanted to do clearbra but i'm definitely not going to do it there.. or any other work.
Old 12-13-15, 12:15 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are not suppose to disconnect the battery at all. Clearly this shop is inexperienced and they will probably add swirls if you get detailed from them. All you need to do is open the door and tape the black button that is on the door jam. This will cause the window to go up. You might as well go to another shop.
Old 01-23-16, 05:27 PM
aavq85
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint- ceramic tint need it?

do i really need to get the ceramic tint? one of the shops down here highly recommended it at least for the rear window, something to do with the radio antenna.
does the RC has any antennas on the back window? or all the antennas terminate on the roof antenna?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-16, 09:23 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see how regular tint would mess with the radio ant.
Old 01-23-16, 11:24 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 5% metallic tints on all the windows and 30% on the front windshield with zero issues. I also have this same setup on a Cadillac with no issues. I think ceramic tints are used as a marketing scam. And our radio antennas are on the roof! lol. I would just go with a shop that has a good warranty and rep.
Old 01-24-16, 07:08 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAM
I have 5% metallic tints on all the windows and 30% on the front windshield with zero issues. I also have this same setup on a Cadillac with no issues. I think ceramic tints are used as a marketing scam. And our radio antennas are on the roof! lol. I would just go with a shop that has a good warranty and rep.
Totally agree. I've had ceramic, and non-ceramic, and have found no difference in radio reception or limiting heat from the sun into the car. In fact, the only difference I noticed was that ceramic was priced considerably higher, and for these reasons will not get ceramic again.
Old 01-24-16, 08:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

It's not non-ceramic that is the issue, it's metallic (non-ceramic) tint that sometimes causes problems. Most of our members don't have any issues but from time to time there are threads where folks have problems that go away when it's removed. I suspect for most that use it reception still works fine but is slightly diminished

Old 01-24-16, 10:11 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It's not non-ceramic that is the issue, it's metallic (non-ceramic) tint that sometimes causes problems. Most of our members don't have any issues but from time to time there are threads where folks have problems that go away when it's removed. I suspect for most that use it reception still works fine but is slightly diminished

Metalized window film vs metal free cell phone reception (window tint) - YouTube
This is good to know.
Old 01-25-16, 11:14 AM
radcoupe
Driver

I was watching a video on YouTube on the RC-F where the guy was saying that the RC-F has special Infrared glass all around that is new technology that blocks out heat which keeps the inside cool...Not sure if the RC's glass uses the same technology or not.
Old 01-25-16, 11:56 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

According to Lexus Product Info brochure the Shark fin is for NAV,HD radio, and Enform, but for normal radio the AM/FM the antenna is in the back window. If you use metallic tint that could effect your radio reception, and the reason ceramic tint is recommended. This info is on page 6 under the section of Standard Audio System, and is the same even if you have the ML Stereo option.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
Old 02-17-16, 01:08 PM
aavq85
8th Gear

thanks for all your replies, i end it going with a non ceramic 3M window tint. Their Premium line it was only a few more dollars at my installer and they promise not to interfere with any signals

"3M's newest automotive window film addition, FX Premium offers an economical alternative without sacrificing quality. Because FX Premium is non-metallized, you will enjoy no signal interference on your cell phone, satellite radio or GPS system"

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive-Films/
Old 04-18-16, 12:04 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I did 3M color stable and the radio/ XM seems to work fine in mine.
Old 04-19-16, 07:22 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by letsgofast
might be a noobish question.

anyone have problems getting their window tinted? Just got my RC 350 and i took it to one of the most referred places in town for tints. (small town )

anyways, they are having trouble with the drivers side window bc that little autoroll down feature when you open the door keeps on messing up the bottom edge of the tint. I've already taken it back to the shop for them to fix it and now I have to take it back on Monday to get it fixed again.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this auto roll down feature on the rc 350?
Like everyone else is saying, any good shop will know how to do this right. Just do yourself a favor and get some good quality tint like 3m color stable or suntek or cystaline. Also once done, do not roll your windows down for atleast a day!
Old 01-22-19, 05:18 PM
ProwlerRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tint %

I'm looking to get my windows tinted for the first time ever, and I was curious if people could post some examples of what they have. I have an atomic silver exterior and I'm looking to go dark enough to still see a silhouette, but not so dark that I'll get pulled over instantly. Truthfully I don't know much about tinting so any information that can be provided is appreciated - I've heard ceramic tinting is the way to go? What percentage do you all recommend? In the state I live the law states "Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in". ...so legally going super dark is a stretch.. though most cops don't really care that much.

Quick Reply: RC 350 window tint (merged threads)