RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Text Messaging????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 05:31 PM
stevez2
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Text Messaging????

OK I try to read the manuals and the forums. Do we or do we not have the ability to get text messages. (2015 rc - f sport). The manuals seem to say yes. But when I try to set up or read the line on the nav screen does not highlight. (My phone is a iphone 6plus.)
Old 09-21-15, 05:36 PM
kymbakitty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine does....

Originally Posted by stevez2
OK I try to read the manuals and the forums. Do we or do we not have the ability to get text messages. (2015 rc - f sport). The manuals seem to say yes. But when I try to set up or read the line on the nav screen does not highlight. (My phone is a iphone 6plus.)
I have Galaxy 5 and it reads my texts. It's kind of funny to hear some of them read. I believe if you are stopped, you can actually read the text on the screen, but if you are moving, they are read to you.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-15, 07:34 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have experienced different results, across different mobile phone models, some features worked with some and not with others and vice versa. I haven't any experience with the iPhone 6Plus.

Anyone have experience with iPhone 6Plus Paring and or Phone settings?
Old 09-21-15, 08:06 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

try this link to see if compatible and for help

http://www.lexus.com/mobilelink/
Old 09-21-15, 09:19 PM
keithrc350
Driver School Candidate

I got it to work with my iPhone 6
Old 09-22-15, 04:37 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

works with my iPhone 5S.
Old 09-22-15, 08:29 AM
AZSkippy
Driver School Candidate

I have an iPhone 6 Plus as well. It didn't work until I did this..

On your phone go to -----> settings ----> Bluetooth ----> Lexus RC (click the i) ------ > Show Notifications needs to be set to on.

It should then read/show your text messages.
Old 09-23-15, 07:06 AM
stevez2
Driver School Candidate

Default text messaging

thanks. changed my i phone setting as noted. still not seeing messages however. guess I will let the dealer figure it out. am due for 5000 mile servicing anyway.
Old 09-23-15, 10:15 AM
IdahoRC
Driver School Candidate

To get my the car to recognize new texts I had to erase all my old texts, then it started working. I had a galaxy s3.
Old 09-23-15, 03:02 PM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a galaxy s4 and it never reads my text. Do I have to use the default messaging app? I currently use go SMS
Old 09-23-15, 06:00 PM
stevez2
Driver School Candidate

Default text figured out - what about email??

Ok text actually popped up in car and was "read to me". A small victory.
WHAT ABOUT EMAILS??
Old 09-23-15, 11:42 PM
keithrc350
Driver School Candidate

No emails with an iPhone.
Old 09-24-15, 11:10 AM
Padrino
Driver School Candidate

Note 4 here. Confirmed that it reads texts and can display the text when you're stopped. Coming from a BMW, i hate that pretty much everything stops working the moment you start moving but i guess that's for safety reasons. I havent tested this but does it work if you have a passenger?
Old 09-24-15, 03:07 PM
Nightcrawl
Driver

Originally Posted by Padrino
Note 4 here. Confirmed that it reads texts and can display the text when you're stopped. Coming from a BMW, i hate that pretty much everything stops working the moment you start moving but i guess that's for safety reasons. I havent tested this but does it work if you have a passenger?
It doesn't care whether you have a passenger or not, unfortunately. The seatbelt indicator knows whether there is a passenger or not, so the seat obviously has a sensor in it - a shame they don't link it to all the other systems.

I suppose it would be too easy to circumvent. You could just put a bag of shopping on the seat and the car would think you have a passenger.

Last edited by Nightcrawl; 09-24-15 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added last para
Old 10-10-15, 12:46 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steps for making this work are fairly simple.

iPhones: Just make sure that after you have paired everything you click the blue icon next to where it says connected in the BT menu on your phone, then turn on show notifications. Once the vehicle is shut off and then restarted, you will then have text messages coming through the Nav screen. If you have too many texts stored in your phone and you have an iPhone with a lower capacity, you may have issues receiving your messages. You can also reply by using Siri Eyes Free if you are in a 2015+ Gen8 vehicle, or activate the Siri function through your device and speak to her through the microphone in your vehicle.

Android: Pair the phone to the vehicle normally. There should be 3 prompts; one asking if it is ok to pair and confirming the device key and passcode; one asking if it is ok to sync for messaging, then the last is for syncing of contacts and call history. I have noticed that it only asks the last 2 questions when pairing phones that are not yet running Lollipop or have a reduced version because of dated hardware. With Androids you will also have the ability to read emails if there are coming from the default mail app (not Gmail) and there will also be about 15 quick reply messages you are able to respond with, which you can edit to suit your own style. Like the iPhone, you will have to shut the vehicle off and restart to activate the messaging.

Quick Reply: Text Messaging????