Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust recommendation needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 07:11 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Exhaust recommendation needed.

Hey guys, just recently got an '18 350 F Sport, and the stock exhaust leaves much to be desired. I've been reading exhaust threads since day one, and listening to YouTube videos as well. Unfortunately, I'm just as confused as when I started. I know you've seen a million of these threads, so I'll make this easy for you...

Given these parameters, what would your recommendation be?

1. Axle-back only.
2. More volume would be good, but not boy-racer loud, and as little drone as possible.
3. Deep, warm tone, not bright and raspy.
4. Price is not a consideration.
5. Lexus quality or better.
6. Power gains not a consideration at all.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

-Andrew
Old 11-09-18, 07:37 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Drone exists, but I'd say its only bad at hwy speeds. If you're by yourself, you'll prolly wont mind it. You can compensate by downshifting into 6th to get out of the drone. Also, ZERO rasp. I personally dislike rasp as well.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 11-09-18 at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VisualEcho (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 07:38 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Made these videos. Would like to emphasize the use of headphones. My recording skills suck and couldnt capture the true depth of the exhaust. Hopefully it comes out well.
VisualEcho (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 12:24 AM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Magnaflow!
Magnaflow (11-21-18)
Old 11-10-18, 11:32 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Replied to your PM!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
VisualEcho (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 12:50 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Go F-Sport Axle-back if they will fit your 2018. Probably more of the quiet exhausts but little to no drone. Has a light deep tone with no rasp.
VisualEcho (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 12:52 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Go F-Sport Axle-back if they will fit your 2018. Probably more of the quiet exhausts but little to no drone. Has a light deep tone with no rasp.
This is what I've been hearing. It's really coming down to the JoeZ, F-Sport, or Tanabe Touring. Just have to figure out which now.
Old 11-10-18, 07:47 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you should watch videos from within the cabin. while you're driving, it's not going to sound like the clips where somebody's got a camera staring at the exhausts.
VisualEcho (11-11-18)
Old 11-11-18, 01:26 AM
jeronberna
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally i'm driving a 3IS 2014 RWD F Sport

Originally the car had a invidia axle back with quad tips welded on, i replaced it with a RC350 Tanabe Medallion because i was told it was quieter (93db?) than the invidia axle back.

Personally I believe the invidia was quieter at lower rpms, with the Tanabe, after about 1.5k to 2.2k the inside cabin noise is very loud compared to the invidia.

Outside of the car it isn't too bad, it's just in the cabin it's becoming almost unbearable at every light that it's so loud in-cabin. I was hoping more for a quieter low rpm, and loud when i open her up, but its only quiet mostly when coasting.

May switch back to the invidia, after getting better quad tips welded on. the RC350 Tanabe quad tips are perfect for the 2017+ diffuser. The sound volume may lead me to get rid of it though. i will test run the invidia again here shortly, and i will attempt to make a in-cabin sound video for you. outside-car as well if i can get someone to record.

hope that helps a little.
VisualEcho (11-11-18)
Old 11-11-18, 06:19 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeronberna

Originally the car had a invidia axle back with quad tips welded on, i replaced it with a RC350 Tanabe Medallion because i was told it was quieter (93db?) than the invidia axle back.

Personally I believe the invidia was quieter at lower rpms, with the Tanabe, after about 1.5k to 2.2k the inside cabin noise is very loud compared to the invidia.

Outside of the car it isn't too bad, it's just in the cabin it's becoming almost unbearable at every light that it's so loud in-cabin. I was hoping more for a quieter low rpm, and loud when i open her up, but its only quiet mostly when coasting.

May switch back to the invidia, after getting better quad tips welded on. the RC350 Tanabe quad tips are perfect for the 2017+ diffuser. The sound volume may lead me to get rid of it though. i will test run the invidia again here shortly, and i will attempt to make a in-cabin sound video for you. outside-car as well if i can get someone to record.

Man, that sucks, I was hoping for better reviews. Sounds great outside the car.
Old 11-12-18, 09:06 AM
sirdizzle
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeronberna

Strange. I got my Tanabe Medallion because I wanted a bit more sound than stock --didn't want anything too loud. At idle, you do not hear it at all in cabin or outside. I do agree that at about 1.5k-2.3k rpm, during freeway driving, the drone is there. After about 5.5k rpm, you hear engine, and no exhaust note in cabin.
Old 11-12-18, 09:09 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirdizzle
I do agree that at about 1.5k-2.3k rpm, during freeway driving, the drone is there.
Which is the worst design possible, seeing as how most Interstates are 70 mph, and most people are going between 75 & 79 (1900 to 2300 rpm)...right where the drone rpm is.
Old 11-12-18, 09:17 AM
sirdizzle
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree, not great there, but I'm not too annoyed with it... yet. The sound does change, I've only had it for 2 weeks or so.
VisualEcho (11-12-18)
Old 11-12-18, 09:21 AM
jeronberna
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdizzle
Strange. I got my Tanabe Medallion because I wanted a bit more sound than stock --didn't want anything too loud. At idle, you do not hear it at all in cabin or outside. I do agree that at about 1.5k-2.3k rpm, during freeway driving, the drone is there. After about 5.5k rpm, you hear engine, and no exhaust note in cabin.
ahh, sorry about that I might have worded it wrong. At a stop light I have no issue, but on take off , in eco, normal or sport+ it’s loud no matter what. Only time that I’m moving and it’s quiet is when I let go of the gas and am coasting pretty much.

somewhere I read, adding a/or changing the resonator, or relocating the exhaust a little farther out from the bumper may help? I’m pretty desperate at this point I was going to go to a muffler shop today and see if they can emulate the exhaust tips on the tanabe onto the Invidias single tip with single to dual tips.

i like the tanabe rc350 angled quad tips I’ll give it that, I don’t think anything else I’ve found for the 3is is more to my liking visually. Just a shame the in cabin noise is just... meh

i tried dynamatting the trunk, that didn’t help too much.

Old 11-12-18, 10:04 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Just like the car itself, there just isn't any right answer here. I'm back to thinking OEM F-Sport is the way to go. Probably too quiet for most, but it's better than droning like crazy every time I have to take a trip.

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendation needed.