Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Magnaflow catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 02:12 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
Maybe you should start with just the axle back, or maybe just the mufflers like I used. Then if you want more sound, add the midpipe.

Out of curiosity which mufflers did you order/use? I think eventually I'd like to go with the magnaflow muffler route
Old 03-25-19, 06:44 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
Out of curiosity which mufflers did you order/use? I think eventually I'd like to go with the magnaflow muffler route
Magnaflow part# 11235
Old 03-25-19, 08:58 PM
Neat
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the video. I see that the part # you mentioned is indeed a muffler. Is that the same as what comes on the axelback? Just curious. It sounded really nice.. thinking I’m leaning more towards the magnaflow than invidia
Old 03-25-19, 09:37 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

I can get the MagnaFlow Exhaust. It's $945

Website: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15227

Personally I would recommend Tanabe or Invidia for a Lexus, but the choice is yours.
Old 03-26-19, 04:44 AM
Neat
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
I can get the MagnaFlow Exhaust. It's $945

Website: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15227

Personally I would recommend Tanabe or Invidia for a Lexus, but the choice is yours.
I’ve been recommended the Tanabe, however it sounds quieter than stock. Invidia sounds good. Just curious as to why you would choose both over magnaflow.
Old 03-26-19, 08:21 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks, it doesn't sound too loud at startup, but when you pulled away it had a nice growl (which I like). Would you say that's correct? I'm thinking of just going with the magnaflow mufflers and keeping the stock resonators. I'm not looking for a huge sound bump, just more of a deeper growl and to keep it nice and quiet at cruising speeds.
Old 03-26-19, 09:15 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Many thanks, it doesn't sound too loud at startup, but when you pulled away it had a nice growl (which I like). Would you say that's correct? I'm thinking of just going with the magnaflow mufflers and keeping the stock resonators. I'm not looking for a huge sound bump, just more of a deeper growl and to keep it nice and quiet at cruising speeds.
From another thread, I'd been discussing with EvilJoker about replicating his setup as I favoured his results as well, but the shops up here were hesitant to use the same components due to durability. Especially with us being in a wet climate here versus much drier in Texas, they figured his resonators and mufflers might last 2 years. Looks like you're in Portland so it's something to consider.

End result, to put in better-quality Vibrant resonators and mufflers in a full mandrel cat-back system would have cost nearly $2K (Can) so I didn't go that route. I will likely change out my Tsudo resonators just to smooth out and maybe quiet the sound, and should end up with a close result to his, albeit at about half the price I was originally quoted for the custom system. If you'd just like a bit louder and lower sound but keeping the same quality of tone, swapping mufflers is probably the best bet, although something like a secondary cat delete could also work as a cheaper option.
Old 03-27-19, 12:06 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neat
Thanks for the video. I see that the part # you mentioned is indeed a muffler. Is that the same as what comes on the axelback? Just curious. It sounded really nice.. thinking I’m leaning more towards the magnaflow than invidia
Not sure what exact part # they used for the polished system. I just didnt see the point on paying almost $1k for something shiny and polished that sits underneath the car that gets water, oil, tar, trash, debris all over it. The muffler and tips I got, cost me less than $200 installed.
Old 03-27-19, 12:13 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

For sure. There is no rule saying you have to do it all at once. You could start with just the mufflers, then decide if you want to change the sound more. Safe that way. I just based my decision on the previous setup on my Acura, and the sound clips I listened to of various IS350 cars.

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
From another thread, I'd been discussing with EvilJoker about replicating his setup as I favoured his results as well, but the shops up here were hesitant to use the same components due to durability. Especially with us being in a wet climate here versus much drier in Texas, they figured his resonators and mufflers might last 2 years. Looks like you're in Portland so it's something to consider.
The mufflers I used are stainless, so shouldnt be a problem. The resonator is galvanized the same as any factory exhaust is.