Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Won't stay running gs300

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 07:14 AM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't stay running gs300

Bought an 01 gs300 with a bad throttle motor. Had all the codes cone up, tps, pedal sensor, and throttle motor malfunction. I found a good one on eBay, so I just changed the whole throttle body. Anyway, car fires up, no codes, but will only idle for about 3-4 min. If I try to give it gas, it hesitates, and pops through the intake. I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, timing belt, fuel pump, etc. car is in really good shape, this is driving me crazy. Timing is dead nuts, and like I said, no codes. If I pull the batt cable off, wait 10 min, it will start again, but does the same thing. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on???
Old 02-28-18, 07:55 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Some basic info on the car please.....Mileage, service done, You need to give the car a little more time to generate the codes instead of disconnecting the battery and restarting. Let the car run....when it dies.....leave it and go back to it later. Try to restart and then check for codes.
Old 02-28-18, 03:29 PM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry, new to all this stuff

The car has 212 thousand miles. New timing belt, new plugs, coil packs, and wires. New crank sensor, new can sensor. New igniter, new fuel pump. The people I purchased the car from also took very good care of the car, and basically threw a bunch of parts at it trying to fix the problem. When I replaced the throttle body, I thought I had it in the bag. The pedal is now working, and all the codes associated with the old throttle body gone. I’ve let the car run, until it dies anyway,and left the battery cable on a few times, and no codes. It will not start again after doing this. Let it set over night even. I’m a pretty good wrench, but when it comes to newer cars, computers, etc, not so much. Sorry again for posting 2 threads, I’m an idiot. Lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 02-28-18, 03:39 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you have anyone nearby that has a similar model that you can borrow/try their computer?
Old 02-28-18, 06:42 PM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

I don't, but I can get one. I have also wondered if the ecu had gone bad. Ive also heard that is rare with Toyota. Think it would be worth it to try? If I take the car to Toyota, I'm going to blow a lot more than buying a used computer. They want 150 bucks an hour to diagnose. Have you heard of this kund of problem before? Thanks for the help by the way!!
Old 02-28-18, 06:46 PM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

Can you change computers in thoses cars without problems? I've heard they don't have to be flashed??
Old 02-28-18, 08:13 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Have you've checked the fuel pump relay? Its by the battery fuse box. Also these cars have a fuel pump ecu in the trunk. It's behind the back seat on your left facing the front. You could check if the relay is on fire while it's started. I think the ECU operates in 3 stages. You can find more information by searching the subject.
Old 02-28-18, 08:40 PM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

I did check, and actually change the relay, but I never checked to see if It got warm. I’ll check it out. Thanks!!
Old 02-28-18, 08:50 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Obie
I did check, and actually change the relay, but I never checked to see if It got warm. I’ll check it out. Thanks!!
The relay will get hot of course. I may add is it possible to mix up the coil pack on the V6?. Since you did replace those too.

I had a bad MAF on my G400. It would back fire through the intake. It wouldn't throw a code either. The car would just run like crap on the freeway. Do you have a OBDII scanner that can see live data?

Last edited by MikeFig82; 02-28-18 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 09:16 PM
Obie
Driver School Candidate

I thought that too. By the way, all or the new parts I listed where put on by previous owner, except the cam sensor, which was fun by the way. Lol. While I had the intake off, I checked all the coil packs, and wires. Everything’s where it’s supposed to be.
Old 02-28-18, 09:35 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I thought that too. By the way, all or the new parts I listed where put on by previous owner, except the cam sensor, which was fun by the way. Lol. While I had the intake off, I checked all the coil packs, and wires. Everything’s where it’s supposed to be.
The last 2 weeks I was dealing with poor performance on my IS250. I had no CEL, and the car was just acting weird. At fist I thought it was bad gas. As upon hard acceleration it was smelling like sulfur like crazy. I decided to go check my air filter, and it was dusty. You really couldn't tell until I added solution to clean it. Then I proceeded to wash it out. To my surprise is was a dark brown water mixture. As of now no more sulfur smell under hard acceleration after a good thorough cleaning. Any how it could be anything for you car.

I would just check the obvious stuff again. Clean the MAF with alcohol if you don't Have CRC MAF cleaner. Check the air filter to see if it's flowing well. Fuel pump could have a kink on the fuel regulator line on the module, or worse it could be disconnected.
Old 10-19-18, 05:27 PM
Iceofcali
Driver School Candidate

Bought an 01 gs300 with a bad throttle motor. Had all the codes cone up, tps, pedal sensor, and throttle motor malfunction. I found a good one on eBay, so I just changed the whole throttle body. Anyway, car fires up, no codes, but will only idle for about 3-4 min. If I try to give it gas, it hesitates, and pops through the intake. I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, timing belt, fuel pump, etc. car is in really good shape, this is driving me crazy. Timing is dead nuts, and like I said, no codes. If I pull the batt cable off, wait 10 min, it will start again, but does the same thing. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on???
check the wiring near the timing belt. There is a clamp that connects directly to your wiring harness... the connection to the ignitor box might be a bad one. Unhook the ignitor and see if that makes it stay started. That was the issue I had all along.
Old 03-09-19, 01:25 AM
KvngTim
Driver School Candidate

Check the TPS see if it needs calibration
Old 04-09-19, 10:11 PM
usmtoymech
Driver School Candidate

My 99 GS300 is doing this exact thing. I've verified timing, fuel pressure, no immediate codes. Vehicle was running just fine but I decided to remove and clean the throttle body. Now it's dong everything Odie described on his. What did you do to fix yours?
Old 08-26-21, 01:43 AM
Xenith
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How Did u guys go fix it ?

So i just got/ bought a gs300 will start sort of . Idle sort of . If i let it go till it dies it only puts heat into 3 and 4 header pipes . Checking the coils it seams as thought it drops the coil for 1 and 6 as soon as u release the key and just worked out it drops the injectors for 2 and 5 also.
so i have tried replacing ECU , coil., ingnitor ,have checked fuel pressure and timing also there are no codes

Any help ?

Last edited by Xenith; 08-27-21 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Won't stay running gs300