Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem with Magnaflow axle back / installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 01:11 PM
kennyboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Magnaflow axle back / installation

Purchased new online then installed at a local exhaust shop, both stores were reputable. After installation (bolt on for $100), the tips are no longer balanced visually like stock tips (ie. one tip comes out further and closer to the bumper than the other). Exhaust shop explained that it happens sometimes since it is aftermarket versus custom made. It will cost extra to go back to adjust and etc.

Thoughts?
Old 11-11-17, 03:56 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same problem with my JoeZ axle back and I've had 3 people try to adjust it with no luck. I think the problem with mine is a manufacturing problem and not an install issue. They should be able to adjust it and make it even unless you have the same problem as me
Old 11-13-17, 09:32 AM
kennyboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
I have the same problem with my JoeZ axle back and I've had 3 people try to adjust it with no luck. I think the problem with mine is a manufacturing problem and not an install issue. They should be able to adjust it and make it even unless you have the same problem as me
What did you end up doing, just left the way it is?

One of the tips is actually quite close to the black bumper (probably half a cm or less), aside from visual, it can also get hot and potentially start melting the black plastics? It sounds like quite a bit of work to get it adjusted with cutting and welding of parts.
Old 11-13-17, 10:11 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately all cars with dual mufflers will have some degree of fitment problems.

From experience, the key is to unbolt the the mufflers as well as the mid pipe, wiggle things around until you are happy with the fitment, than carefully bolt everything back down tight again. As for how high the mufflers hang, you can go and get a bunch of hanger bushings of various lengths and mix and match those until you get things to sit the way you like. My current setup I have 5 different types/lengths of hanger bushings to get the tips to sit at the same level on both sides.
Old 11-13-17, 10:25 AM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyboi
What did you end up doing, just left the way it is?

One of the tips is actually quite close to the black bumper (probably half a cm or less), aside from visual, it can also get hot and potentially start melting the black plastics? It sounds like quite a bit of work to get it adjusted with cutting and welding of parts.
I just left it as is. The right side tip on my car is really close to the bumper too but there’s no damage or excessive wear on it from the heat after 8 months so I think it should be ok.
Old 11-13-17, 02:00 PM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by otakusan
Unfortunately all cars with dual mufflers will have some degree of fitment problems.

From experience, the key is to unbolt the the mufflers as well as the mid pipe, wiggle things around until you are happy with the fitment, than carefully bolt everything back down tight again. As for how high the mufflers hang, you can go and get a bunch of hanger bushings of various lengths and mix and match those until you get things to sit the way you like. My current setup I have 5 different types/lengths of hanger bushings to get the tips to sit at the same level on both sides.
That is very true. But my Stillen axle back and apexi midpipes sit perfect. Didn’t have to do any adjustments. It’s kind of weird.