Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OrangVirus vs. RR Racing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 09:54 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default OrangVirus vs. RR Racing Tune

So I have a 2014 IS350 AWD, and just bought the RR Racing handheld. I won't be able to install it on my vehicle for another week, but I'm wondering if I picked the right tuner.

It seems RR has a good reputation, but the OV tune looks to be more in-depth (more parameters changed?)...

In all I'm just looking to get faster shifts/ less shift lag (since all tunes change rpm limit). Can anyone give input if the RR tune effects it, or if OV effects the 6 speed, I think I found a video on an RC350 (OV tune), but unsure if it had an 8 speed or 6.

Maybe some reviews on respective tunes?
I think they are both the same programmers now, so maybe I can get both tunes, install and compare?
Old 09-18-17, 01:17 AM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been looking to get the OV tune but still not sure..will it mess up my engine if I'm running everything stock??(still a noob in the car game lol xD)
Old 09-19-17, 06:37 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Last i knew the RR tune was specifically done and tested on the AWD model therefore it handles the 6 speed tranny fine. In fact I am pretty sure if you have an RWD model the tune will work however can cause the tranny to slip....people have been asking RR for a tranny ecu flash to fix this issue in the RWD models.

Personally i have the RR tune on my '16 RC300 AWD. It was by far the best thing i have done and made a huge difference in how the car feels. I have around 3000 accumulated miles since the tune and have had zero issues but more fun driving it
Old 09-20-17, 01:18 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i did look at both websites for the tune. could more people chime in for more info ect?
it does seem like OV has more parameters than RR ecu tune. but RR is known for their builds ect.
Old 09-24-17, 12:53 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
Last i knew the RR tune was specifically done and tested on the AWD model therefore it handles the 6 speed tranny fine. In fact I am pretty sure if you have an RWD model the tune will work however can cause the tranny to slip....people have been asking RR for a tranny ecu flash to fix this issue in the RWD models.

Personally i have the RR tune on my '16 RC300 AWD. It was by far the best thing i have done and made a huge difference in how the car feels. I have around 3000 accumulated miles since the tune and have had zero issues but more fun driving it
You have the greatest gain with a 300 model, bringing it up to 350 models. I have a IS350 so the power gains will be noticeable but not as much as how you felt. I'm just wondering if they tuned the shift lag like OV. Have you noticed faster shifts? or reduced delay between pulling the paddles and the transmission doing anything?

Im still waiting for my tune, since my unit pulled a "calibration file not found".
Old 10-02-17, 10:52 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Hoping someone with the OV tune could chime in.
RR racings tune allows for the high rev limiter when only in manual mode, and apparently if i floor it in automatic i have to manual up shift. My current state of tune is that when i floor it in Auto it will go to 7200 and shift, I would like to keep it this way... since i dont want to change it to manual mode just to shift when i want to WOT. So really my tune seems half-baked... not sure if its the limitations of tuning a Lexus, hoping someone with the OV tune can tell me how their tune is...
Old 10-02-17, 07:10 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Hoping someone with the OV tune could chime in.
RR racings tune allows for the high rev limiter when only in manual mode, and apparently if i floor it in automatic i have to manual up shift. My current state of tune is that when i floor it in Auto it will go to 7200 and shift, I would like to keep it this way... since i dont want to change it to manual mode just to shift when i want to WOT. So really my tune seems half-baked... not sure if its the limitations of tuning a Lexus, hoping someone with the OV tune can tell me how their tune is...
i have the tune for the is200t. I got it on a little over a weeks ago but I'm still waiting on the raised 7k rpm. Once I've tested mine I'll try help
Old 10-02-17, 07:13 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

whats the deal with the transmission slip on RR tune?
Old 10-02-17, 07:22 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Something about the 8 speed that has that problem. I have the 6 speed so I never read up on it.
Old 10-02-17, 07:24 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

I can't return the RR Racing unit, it's past the return date. I may bite the bullet and get the OV tune, once I have some spare change... Doubling on tunes was never in the books. Currently in talks with OV to see if they have what I want.
Old 10-02-17, 09:05 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

I think Rafi still working to fix this slip. Once he have the TCU Tune, this slip will go away.
Old 10-03-17, 07:45 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

What is it doing exactly?
Old 10-07-17, 06:13 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

What is it doing exactly?
I believe at the higher RPMs (think 6800+?) It slips...

Anyway, from hearing from OV tune, I think it might be the better tune. They both raise rev limit, and both forces you to manually shift in Automatic mode when you are WOT.

OV tune Pros:
Transmission Torque output and gearbox load changes makes for less delay in shifts

RR Racing Pros:
Comes with free Carbon Fiber intake
Sweet RR Racing sticker

Maybe RR Racing will tune the TCU like OV... But I think they are more focused on the super charger kit for the car, which I look forward to.
Old 10-07-17, 04:29 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

does the OV Racing tune work with IS AWD models? because of the 6 speed transmission i’m torn between the 2 if they both offer the AWD versions
Old 10-08-17, 10:02 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmull3r
does the OV Racing tune work with IS AWD models? because of the 6 speed transmission i’m torn between the 2 if they both offer the AWD versions
Yes they both work on the AWD. the RR racing one was developed with their own shop is350 AWD. Bonus to going with RR racing is a discount on their future SC kit that brings it to ~350 whp when its released.

Quick Reply: OrangVirus vs. RR Racing Tune