Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Real Exhaust Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 04:11 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Real Exhaust Opinion

I know that there are countless threads about the noise levels/sounds of certain exhausts but I have been unable to find decent information that answers my question in particular. To start off, I am not looking for outrageous performance gains. I am looking for an axle back system only for an is350 f sport. I have two young kids that ride in the back of the car as well as a wife that doesn't need to feel like she is riding shotgun in a race car. I have a 70 minute commute each day that is 80% highway. I do NOT want a system that drones too loudly. I understand that any increase to the noise that an exhaust makes will increase the amount of droning that will be present in the cabin. I am looking for the least invasive system. ideally it will be an exhaust that is close to the sound of stock under normal driving conditions but higher in the rev range, or when pinning the throttle would produce a little more bark. Something that does this would be an ideal situation. I am not looking for a raspy "rice" sound. I love the sound of my Takada intake and love something to compliment that. As a start, I was looking at either the Joe Z or Invidia. As much as I am interested in the idea of the F-sport exhaust I do not want to drop 1300-1500 for an axle back system.
What I am looking for is some real work advice from people that have run systems that are light on the drone.
Thank you in advance!

Cheers!
Old 02-14-17, 09:33 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I heard magnaflows & tanabes are pretty quite. Similar to FSPORT I believe & cost way less.
Old 02-15-17, 09:02 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

The invidia exhaust is a great exhaust.. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-15-17, 11:31 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would go with the Invidia as it is quieter than the JoeZ and has minimal drone (I only get drone at 2000 which I cannot notice when I have music going). The only downsize to the Invidia is the ugly mufflers.
Old 02-16-17, 08:56 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat as you, I'm thinking of getting the Tanabe Medalion!
Old 02-17-17, 10:49 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
I'm in the exact same boat as you, I'm thinking of getting the Tanabe Medalion!
Let us get it..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-17-17, 03:35 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
I would go with the Invidia as it is quieter than the JoeZ and has minimal drone (I only get drone at 2000 which I cannot notice when I have music going). The only downsize to the Invidia is the ugly mufflers.
I do a lot of highway driving and the car likes sitting right around 2000 rpm. This is what worries me. I don't want to ruin the relatively quiet cruising cabin with a drone. Will the Invidia pride a growl upon stepping on the throttle as opposed to a rasp?
Old 02-17-17, 04:05 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I just got the Fsport exhaust installed yesterday. I got it used from a CL member (ediaz87, chill guy btw &sick build).

I did notice a drone while cruising around 70-75mph @2k-3k rpm. Once you get over 3.5K, the intake kicks in and drowns the drone of the exhaust.

Im gonna have to get use to the drone, but I do have both my seats down atm. I'm hoping once I put the seats back up it would block some exhaust noise.

If I play music at ~ vol. 20 it helps drowns to droning.
Old 02-17-17, 04:09 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

So anyone in the know... which exhaust has more drone, the F-sport, Joe-Z, or the Invidia? I am ruling out the Tanabe. I had a good friend with the same brand on an Acura and it was way too raspy for my liking.
Old 02-17-17, 04:18 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmoses77
So anyone in the know... which exhaust has more drone, the F-sport, Joe-Z, or the Invidia? I am ruling out the Tanabe. I had a good friend with the same brand on an Acura and it was way too raspy for my liking.
You could probably rule out Joe z, it would be more loud than the other two.

Fsport vs invidia? I'm not sure about invidia, it might be more or less the same as the fsport
Old 02-17-17, 06:30 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoses77
I do a lot of highway driving and the car likes sitting right around 2000 rpm. This is what worries me. I don't want to ruin the relatively quiet cruising cabin with a drone. Will the Invidia pride a growl upon stepping on the throttle as opposed to a rasp?
It will be minimally drone-y at first, but when the exhaust breaks in, it's not drone-y. It has a semblance of drone, but even I wouldn't call it drone compared to even it in the brand new stage. I get a growl, but I am inside the car and have yet to hear my car do a fly by. Perhaps look up sound clips.
Old 02-17-17, 09:24 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Here is one of the best sound clips for the FSPORT if you're interested. Not sure if the guy upgraded the intake or mid pipe tho. Someone chime in if they know!

The following users liked this post:
IreneIS350 (06-04-17)
Old 02-27-17, 08:47 AM
350EfSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw your other thread about the custom sub box you are having installed. Looks like the finished product is on the same timing I have planned for getting my Joe-Z axleback installed. I am also in southern NH so if you want to meet up in a couple weeks you can hear the Joe-Z in person and I'd love to hear the upgraded soundsystem as I am leaning towards making a move.
Old 02-27-17, 01:43 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by 350EfSport
I saw your other thread about the custom sub box you are having installed. Looks like the finished product is on the same timing I have planned for getting my Joe-Z axleback installed. I am also in southern NH so if you want to meet up in a couple weeks you can hear the Joe-Z in person and I'd love to hear the upgraded soundsystem as I am leaning towards making a move.

Perhaps we could work out a meeting time and place. I'm definitely interested to hear what the Joe-Z exhaust sounds like. Pm me and we can try to figure something out.

Cheers
Old 03-10-17, 02:40 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

I think that I've narrowed it down to either the Invidia q300 axle back or the JoeZ axle back. Anyone have any experience with the two that can let me know which one is throatier, deeper in tone? That is what I am looking for.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Real Exhaust Opinion