Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU Flash Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 03:41 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ovtune ECU Flash Tune Review

Here's my review of the OVtune ecu flash.
Let's start with my normal driving, maybe 20% throttle. It feels the same to me nothing really changed. It accelerates the same and downshifts the same. But when i pass cars or step the throttle maybe 50-70% thats when you feel the added torque! It's a nice feeling lol. The car has to downshift a gear though but thats okay. I really like the mid torque now. Like 3k-5k rpm. The throttle is much responsive now as well. I tried driving it in sports mode and its too crazy for daily driving; too sensitive i would say. I also tried it in snow mode... all i can say is ew

Then theres WOT! LOL i can definitely feel the added HP all the way to 7200! (I chose the 7200r pm redline) i have to shift properly or else it would just bounce off in there for like a second. But yeah it stays in the power band like most people say when you gas it all the way. Overall it's well worth it. I spent $1100 on my exhaust and intake (joe-z and f sport intake) and i didn't even feel the measly HP gain but this one for $300, i can definitely feel the power!

future plan would be to flush my transmission fluid

Last edited by metaleckz; 12-11-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 03:43 PM
metaleckz
Racer

For those of you who doesnt check the perfomance sub section here's some other people's review of the ovtune ecu reflash

Originally Posted by aventur2
Ok so I am tuned, I had him set the tune for an e30 mix, 70% 91 30% e85 with a 7400 rpm Rev limit. My motor is fully stock with the exception of JoeZ intake and Fsport filter.
All I can say is WOW.
The torque is really improved on the low to midrange. I usually drive fairly aggressive so I know what the car feels like when being pushed.
The Rev limit increase is awesome the car literally keeps pulling all the way to 7400 and the engine is screaming, I really need an exhaust now. The induction noise sounds a bit different too now. It's just great being able to rev like that.
I have not yet been able to record any 0-60 times but I'm sure they will be faster.
Honestly for 300 dollars this is the best thing you can do for your car, it is very noticeable and does feel like the advertised gains if not more. I don't think I'm going to bother with a dyno for now because I'm happy with the way the car feels.
Remember this is only stage 1 tune also, so you guys should just support him and buy it so he has more resources for the further development which I'm sure is going to awesome. Matthew bought a RC350 for the sole purpose of working on the 2gr. It's 100% worth it. He is still working hard on the transmission tune as well but as he explained to me today it is extremely complicated and requires lots of time.
He has overnight shipping options for those who have to mail the ecu for minimal downtime.
So overall I am extremely happy with the way the car feels I will try soon to get some recorded times.
JUST DO IT!!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Tro209
Okay after a few drives (about 35 miles) I can safely say that I LOVE this tune. Well worth the money even if it's not on sale. It's like the more I drive it, the better it feels. Responsiveness is improved, it's like driving in POWER mode all the time but without the downshifting habit of power mode.

​​​​​​And yes, POWER mode still works and doesn't really feel any different than normal mode, other than the down shifting habits of the stock tune. Over all the car feels like it does in fact have a bit more passing power due to the added torque, my exhaust even sounds a tiny bit different I think. A slight bit deeper, but that could be in my head.

​​​​​And OMG the 7400 Rpm rev limit is amazing!! Not only does the car pull harder, but it also keeps to its power band better now. For all of you waiting for feedback, here it is from my short experience. Today is the last day for the sale so if your gonna order it, just do it! But even if you don't get it on sale, it's still worth every penny.

I'm gonna keep driving this and see how I feel about it over the next day or so. Or if I notice anything new, I'll also let you guys know. I'm also thinking of getting a dyno pull done tomorrow as well out of curiosity. I'll keep you guys posted!
​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-16, 05:28 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds awesome, I'm a complete noob to this, can u tell me what this tune is. It's just a software thing no hardware required? How exactly does one get this done? Any negatives to this?
Old 12-11-16, 05:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Do you have a 250 or 350?
Old 12-11-16, 05:45 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by P128sniper
That sounds awesome, I'm a complete noob to this, can u tell me what this tune is. It's just a software thing no hardware required? How exactly does one get this done? Any negatives to this?
Basically make your car faster and more responsive haha. You have to send your ecu to the company. Only negative so far is my MPG. Because im always on WOT Haha
Originally Posted by Gville350
Do you have a 250 or 350?
Old 12-11-16, 11:59 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have the tune and am enjoying it immensely. Torque is up a good amount and it pulls so much harder when I hit it hard. Best $300 I have spent on my car. I only have the Fsport intake but am looking to get PPE headers and True Dual Exhaust to round out the engine performance on my car.
As others have said, this is well worth it and I feel that OVtuning deserve out support. Also they are working on a Transmission tune that should help a bunch as well and if we support them with the fuel tune they will have more resources to work on the Trans tune.
Old 12-12-16, 12:00 AM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Only negative so far is my MPG. Because im always on WOT Haha
I am also having this issue, and it doesn't bother me at all. BFG
Old 12-12-16, 07:35 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay so after about 250 miles on my tune, I can safely say that I LOVE this tune even more now, than I did before. I guess according to OV you have to drive the car quite a bit in order for the engine to fully get used to the tune. A minimum of 50 miles is what Mathew Wilson (OV tuner) said, but I feel like the car got even better the more I drive it. The added responsiveness along with the added torque that really kicks in at about 3k Rpm becomes more and more noticeable the more you drive. I'm actually genuinely curious as to how a non tuned IS350 stacks up now lol. All I can say is nothing but positive things about this tune. I would easily recommend it in a heart beat.

Now I haven't done any dyno pulls or 1/4 mile runs yet but seeing as how I don't have a baseline anyway, I don't think it would be all that helpful to the prospective buyers. Although I do plan on getting it dynoed hopefully this Friday or Saturday anyway (out of curiosity). And possibly a 1/4 mile run next month or so once I raise my car and buy some proper tires since I am currently running 19" aftermarket wheels with a minor stretch on the tires (235 out back) The wheels are actually lighter than stock though before you guys say anything about how they were a bad idea from a performance view. My only issue is tires since I can't hook from a launch lol.

As for comparisons to stock, the only one I have is this. Previously before my tune I would race my brothers G8 GT for fun. And no matter what kind of run we did, I would get dusted lol. About 3 cars from 10-80 ish every time. But just yesterday we decided to run again to test the tune and to my surprise I actually edged him out by a fender in the same run!! The look on his face was hilarious and I was SUPER proud of my car. I knew my car would see an improvement but had no idea I would get this fast lol. And all for $300!!!! Also for further clarification my brother has long tube headers, borla Catback, and a tune. I have a custom 2.5" true dual exhaust, Joe Z intake and OV tune. And I also opted for the 7400 Rpm tune. WELL worth the money LOL.

And that's not even counting the other 4 cars I put a whooping on yesterday lol. Great job OV!!
Old 12-12-16, 07:51 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Oh and I also must say that in general the car posses more passing power. It is much easier to effortlessly speed. The throttle in NORMAL mode is more sensitive, about a tiny bit less sensitive than POWER but it gives the car a more sporty feeling in my opinion. If you do happen to go into POWER mode, however, the gas peddle is tiny bit (not 100% sure) more sensitive than before, and just pressing the pedal 20% will have the car kick into that awesome 3k Rpm or even downshift you into your power band.. It feels awesome.

One more important thing is how well the car picks up at higher speed now. With my stock tune I felt like the car was quick 0-80 and started to fall flat on its face after that, but with tune?? Hehehe. Let's just say it feels like the car almost feels faster up top then it does down low, which is the opposite of how it used to be

I don't know if it's because of the 7400 rev limit, or because of the added power, but this car is a little speed demon now especially for a V6. Every time I say I'm gonna do a pull to 90, I end up keeping it in 3rd and keep throttling to hear that wonderful 7400 Rpm scream. By the time I shift into fourth I'm over 100mph easy (thanks to the new rev limit) and the car feels like it's got a lot more to give haha. I also had my speed limiter removed but I haven't tested that since I'm scared to go any faster LOL

Last edited by Tro209; 12-12-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 09:45 AM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Basically make your car faster and more responsive haha. You have to send your ecu to the company. Only negative so far is my MPG. Because im always on WOT Haha

how low is your mpg now?
Old 12-12-16, 09:48 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 808newbie
how low is your mpg now?
I know your not asking me, but on my way back from Stockton to Modesto I managed to get an average of 28.5 mpg and that was with 2 pulls to 100mph lol. So basically my fuel economy hasn't changed at all if I try. And the fact that I even got 28.5 with those two WOT pulls to 7400 is pretty damn cool

If anything you'll experience lower average Mpg because you'll want to step on it all the time, like me
Old 12-12-16, 10:24 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been off the forums recently due to final exams and such but wow. It seems like it really does change the feel of the car more than I initially thought. From what I keep reading here the engine keeps pulling up to 7400 with almost no problems whatsoever. Curious as to how much time it takes off the 0-60 and 0-100. Probably wrong on this but due to the added power, exhaust bolt ons could add (slightly) more power than advertised. My only worry though is now I have super high expectations of it and I feel like I might just be let down a little bit.

I also had my speed limiter removed but I haven't tested that since I'm scared to go any faster LOL
Didn't realize they could remove the speed limiter. As irrational as it may be, definitely something I'll probably consider lol. Also with the increased redline, at what point on the tachometer do you shift? (because increased redline doesn't work on automatic)
Old 12-12-16, 10:29 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rezno
Didn't realize they could remove the speed limiter. As irrational as it may be, definitely something I'll probably consider lol. Also with the increased redline, at what point on the tachometer do you shift? (because increased redline doesn't work on automatic)
Well I'm still trying to figure out the best points to shift to be honest. But something to keep in mind is that the lower the gear your in, the sooner you should shift due to the lag of the transmission. At WOT In 1st, I shift around 6900-7000, in 2nd around September 7000-7100, in 3rd about 7100-7200. I haven't gone past 110mph yet so WOT in 4th gear and where to shift is still beyond me lol. Remember that in 3rd gear at the Rpm I mentioned above you're over 100mph

Also I'm sure once the transmission tune comes out this whole "lag" thing will be a thing of the past.
Old 12-12-16, 10:35 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I'm still trying to figure out the best points to shift to be honest. But something to keep in mind is that the lower the gear your in, the sooner you should shift due to the lag of the transmission. At WOT In 1st, I shift around 6900-7000, in 2nd around September 7000-7100, in 3rd about 7100-7200. I haven't gone past 110mph yet so WOT in 4th gear and where to shift is still beyond me lol. Remember that in 3rd gear at the Rpm I mentioned above you're over 100mph

Also I'm sure once the transmission tune comes out this whole "lag" thing will be a thing of the past.
Makes sense. I'll keep this in mind hopefully when I get my tune (maybe spring/summer. Its been snowing here and the last thing I need for my car is the ability to go faster lol)

Keep us informed! Its great to hear how wonderful this tune is.
Old 12-12-16, 10:38 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rezno
Makes sense. I'll keep this in mind hopefully when I get my tune (maybe spring/summer. Its been snowing here and the last thing I need for my car is the ability to go faster lol)

Keep us informed! Its great to hear how wonderful this tune is.
Will do! I'll keep you guys updated as I learn more. If you or anyone else has any more questions regarding the tune just ask and I'm sure one of us will be able to answer your question.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU Flash Tune Review