Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 11:04 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm only showing the driver side manifold being that the passenger side was easy. This side made me work for it!

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 09-15-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 11:08 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Got my manifolds welded up with a mig. They should flow well enough considering they will dump into dual 2.5 exhaust.
Old 09-15-16, 05:13 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

dude, that is ridiculous. awesome for making it work no matter what obstacle. but ridiculous. but awesome. keep the pics coming.
Old 09-15-16, 05:18 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Ha thanks! This is actually a pretty easy swap compared to the previous 4x4 swaps I've done, one turbo diesel, one 3800.

Picking up my drive shaft tomorrow, 265 dollars and will stay with the rubber coupler in rear.

Up next is wiring! The gm side is gravy but the Toyota side I'm a bit more concerned about.

Pics will continue!
Old 09-15-16, 07:06 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

I haven't done too much research on the ls swaps but I do recall reading about people leaving the stock ecu .in play to control the abs and climate control and the ls computer doing the drive train. I'm curious to see how it
plays out. get detailed once you figure it out.
Old 09-16-16, 11:54 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

BOOM DRIVE SHAFT! 3 day turnaround too!

Drive line guy says these new fangled rubber u-joints aren't that bad. Might as well stick with it...

Old 09-17-16, 09:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
dude, that is ridiculous. awesome for making it work no matter what obstacle. but ridiculous. but awesome. keep the pics coming.
i dunno if thats quite the word i would use for it.... i love the macguyver style attitude but i wouldnt want you working on anything i own. i am also glad i learned to weld in high school those look more like arc weld beads (by how thick it is and no stray aluminum from the mig burnt on) and even then the flow is really bad. Mig's are IMHO one of the easiest and cleanest things to weld with, so i am surprised your bead is so thick/bad if that is a MIG. im not hating on you or this "build" you just cannot weld worth a damn lol

i have also been following this build and will continue to
Old 09-17-16, 11:37 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

I'll assume you're referring to my exhaust welds. I'll be honest, i really don't put tons of time into exhaust welding, considering its job isn't supporting much weight. My number one goal with exhaust welding is no leaks. Ive got real projects I've made much better welds on.

I don't think anyone is a professional "cast iron mig welder" and i certainly don't claim to be. When you refer to the welds being "thick" i did that intentionally. My theory on cast is weld to as large an area as possible to ensure it doesn't Crack or just break away. It held up on my 3800 swap so maybe that has some validity? Idk...

I weld good enough. But not good enough to go weld as a full time job. THAT would suck!

Thanks for the interest, this will be on the road soon.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i dunno if thats quite the word i would use for it.... i love the macguyver style attitude but i wouldnt want you working on anything i own. i am also glad i learned to weld in high school those look more like arc weld beads (by how thick it is and no stray aluminum from the mig burnt on) and even then the flow is really bad. Mig's are IMHO one of the easiest and cleanest things to weld with, so i am surprised your bead is so thick/bad if that is a MIG. im not hating on you or this "build" you just cannot weld worth a damn lol

i have also been following this build and will continue to
Old 09-17-16, 04:13 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

All the Internet forums are the same. Everyone is a professional fabricator. Everyone has Xray eyes and can 100% determine when welds are "bad".... Everyone's a critic! LOL!

Well I'll be the first to admit, I'm NOT a professional fabricator or welder. But I CAN weld worth a damn lol.

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 09-17-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-18-16, 03:37 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Sorry you guys will need to clock your heads 90 degrees...

Sounds like crap, but it's My first V8!! Lots of clean up before this is on the road, but I'm pretty stoked.

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 09-18-16 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JBrady (04-22-19)
Old 09-18-16, 04:06 PM
stressed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link ain't working
Old 09-18-16, 04:09 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

its gonna idle and run alot smoother once you get an air filter on that maf sensor. the little metal screen is not enough to even out the air across it so itll run like crap. but, yes you have made a big leap. is it maintaining operating temp?
Old 09-18-16, 04:41 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Link should work now. Must have quit when i edited my post.
Old 09-18-16, 04:44 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Since i didn't have all the air out of the cooling system, I didn't run it any longer than 2 minutes. Lots of things to tidy up before i can pull er out of the garage.

2 good bits of info are the hood closes 100% and the clutch disengages and engages like it should. For that i am grateful!

Originally Posted by badblackgs
its gonna idle and run alot smoother once you get an air filter on that maf sensor. the little metal screen is not enough to even out the air across it so itll run like crap. but, yes you have made a big leap. is it maintaining operating temp?
Old 09-22-16, 06:04 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Got my manifolds wrapped where it mattered. Also welded in some oxygen sensor bungs.

Man I love that V8 sound! I have my local exhaust guy copying the back half of the stock exhaust in 2.5 inch and will be actual mufflers that are quiet. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust on a daily driver.

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!