Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 05:56 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I hadn't really considered this. I'll give it a try next time I'm in the garage. I know the power steering pump might be in the way.

I did see cheap ebay block huggers for a little over 100 bucks.

Originally Posted by badblackgs
I know you already cut up the stock exhaust manifolds but how bout you flip them around and point them forwards and down than just route the exhaust under the front of the subframe. no clearance issues than. thats
how the turbo ls truck guys do it.
Old 08-29-16, 08:35 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Good luck with this. looks intresting..
Old 09-03-16, 06:36 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

So! My hood will close with no throttle body and one simple hood mod. I intend on keeping and using the truck intake. If this works ok eventually the TBSS intake would be my next one.

Small sacrifice

The plan is to relocate my throttle body on a 90 degree elbow. I did this on the 3800 swap for my pickup but with steel.

45 dollars got me an eBay alternator bracket. Stock mount put the alternator way too high.

However they sent me the wrong kit. Was supposed to have 2 more long spacers and longer bolts to match the truck pulley spacing...

Power steering mount. Modified via Sawzall

Boom alternator and power steering! Can't check the fluid like this though...

And made a couple throttle body plates. Still selecting my elbow. Inside diameter of the elbow is kind of important.

So there's where I'm at. Got my clutch kit and a starter so bell housing mods may come this weekend yet.

Old 09-03-16, 07:54 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

fyi im glued to this thread. i love this kinda ****.
Old 09-03-16, 03:59 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

fyi im glued to this thread. i love this kinda ****.
I appreciate your interest considering your gs would very likely spank this one! SC whine must never get old...

Today i picked up what may be considered a steal. Set of is300 5 spoke wheels with 3 very good tires. They need to be stripped and recovered but i couldn't pass at $70 for the set.

Also finished up my serpentine belt setup. BARELY stretched the factory belt on but i think i got the alignment VERY close.

To make up the 1 5/8" difference between corvette and truck pulleys, i used 1 1/2x5/8" spacers and a single 7/16" washer(1/8 ish) on each bolt. I intentionally left one bracket plate up against the cylinder head for extra surface area clamping against the head.

For only 2 bolts, it's actually very sturdy.

5 spoke oh yea!

Can check my fluid now...

Close enough!

Old 09-03-16, 07:30 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

great choice on the wheels. those will look really good. thy to go for some fat tires in the rear. wide and tall.
Old 09-04-16, 04:22 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Here's my throttle body elbow. I'll save your eyes and not zoom in on the welds...

Failed the first time and throttle hit my serpentine belt. Lucky i bought plenty of 1/4 plate aluminum

Just enough radiator clearance.

With two in the top i will have a total of 6 bell bolts. Making use of that plate aluminum!

This is how you add bell housing bolts! I'll get this tigged tomorrow

Starter notch

Kro-molly flywheel

Old 09-05-16, 07:32 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Can i just say that welding to cast sucks giant donkey *****?! When welding the plate to plate it melts easy. But plate to cast? What a PAIN! My torch is just air cooled so i can't turn it up too far

Old 09-07-16, 07:30 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

wow Monk... thanks for all the pics and updates... welding is one thing i hope i can learn very soon...

great deal on those wheels... IIRC they are a bit skinnier than our OEM wheels so you may need some spacers to bring them out a bit... that all doesn't matter though if you plan on running huge slicks on them!!!
Old 09-07-16, 04:18 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kamlung
wow Monk... thanks for all the pics and updates... welding is one thing i hope i can learn very soon...

great deal on those wheels... IIRC they are a bit skinnier than our OEM wheels so you may need some spacers to bring them out a bit... that all doesn't matter though if you plan on running huge slicks on them!!!
Hey welding is definitely a great skill to have. Can only learn it by doing it. This GS won't see any drag radials until i burn up what i got. The goal here is fun fast daily baby hauler.

On another important AR5-LSX swap related note....

FINDING THE CORRECT PILOT BEARING!!!

PART NUMBER 6302-vsp43 is an SKF bearing and the one i need. ONLY AVAILABLE FROM NAPA OR ONLINE. Not advance auto, not O'Reilly auto, not carquest, NAPA. It is 15MM ID and 43.3 OD. It is NOT the large gm pilot bearing from what i can tell.

I will update with verification when i get said bearing.
Old 09-07-16, 06:13 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IS wheels will fit, but they sit soooo far in the guards. Tyre size is a fair bit smaller too (same profile, less width -> small diameter)
Old 09-07-16, 06:59 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bhubb18
IS wheels will fit, but they sit soooo far in the guards. Tyre size is a fair bit smaller too (same profile, less width -> small diameter)
I didn't realize this. Just assumed all Toyota rwd cars would be similar. I like how they look, but I'm not crazy about spacers. My original plan was these 10 spoke ES300 16" wheels but i assume they will be far in as well. Eh, least i didn't spend much on it all. That's why this thread is geared for CHEAP ASSES!
Old 09-13-16, 04:40 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Pass side manifold. Cake

Driver side figured out. Less than cake

Landcruiser clutch master seems to disengage the clutch ok

Brazed a female 3/16 brake fitting to the gm slave quick attach line.

Had to space the slave out 3/4"

Little by little!

Old 09-13-16, 06:13 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

before its all said and done, please use header wrap on all the exhaust piping. for the sake of all the wiring and the steering column shaft u joint. heat kills. period.
Old 09-13-16, 07:16 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

In the few builds I've done I've never tried it. Being my fancy Lexus and all, 20 bucks is cheap insurance i guess.

Question now is fiberglass or titanium??

before its all said and done, please use header wrap on all the exhaust piping. for the sake of all the wiring and the steering column shaft u joint. heat kills. period.

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!