Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t - Boost issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 11:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

cant wait to see videos of your car running full boost with the tune. I want to see how high the boost needle goes. how many bars? does it go beyond the red line? VERY curious about this.
Old 10-31-16, 09:11 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anyone know if there's a way to check for this in a non F-Sport car? I don't have the boost guage because I have a base package but I noticed today after installing an intake that my turbo noise fluctuates so I'm a little paranoid. I didn't notice any power decrease after the intake so I'm speculating it was like this before too and it's just more noticeable now with the intake because the turbo noises are louder.
Old 11-01-16, 09:13 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
Does anyone know if there's a way to check for this in a non F-Sport car? I don't have the boost guage because I have a base package but I noticed today after installing an intake that my turbo noise fluctuates so I'm a little paranoid. I didn't notice any power decrease after the intake so I'm speculating it was like this before too and it's just more noticeable now with the intake because the turbo noises are louder.
you're just noticing the sound with your intake now. it's normal.
Old 11-17-16, 09:28 PM
Chrispies
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Took my car in this past Monday for this boost regulator issue. Head service mechanic took it for a test drive and immediately noticed the problem. He said he received an email from corporate regarding the regulator but mine was the first car they've encountered that needed the service. Received a call on Tuesday from the service rep, and he told me that their system was flagged when they ordered the boost regulator. They wanted to keep my car a couple extra days because corporate was sending out engineers to make sure the boost regulator was the actual issue. Needless to say, it was indeed the issue. Got my car back tonight and it now accelerates like when I first got the car with solid/stable boost pressure.

Fyi it was serviced at Longo.
Old 11-19-16, 11:09 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrispies
Took my car in this past Monday for this boost regulator issue. Head service mechanic took it for a test drive and immediately noticed the problem. He said he received an email from corporate regarding the regulator but mine was the first car they've encountered that needed the service. Received a call on Tuesday from the service rep, and he told me that their system was flagged when they ordered the boost regulator. They wanted to keep my car a couple extra days because corporate was sending out engineers to make sure the boost regulator was the actual issue. Needless to say, it was indeed the issue. Got my car back tonight and it now accelerates like when I first got the car with solid/stable boost pressure.

Fyi it was serviced at Longo.
Thanks for getting back at us with the information. appreciate it.
Old 12-05-16, 04:58 PM
GTO714
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheddy
https://youtu.be/xsVN80qE3hM

This is the issue I am experiencing.
This was the issue I had. Take it to the dealer and ask them to replace the same part they did in my car and you'll be back to normal.
Old 12-05-16, 05:01 PM
GTO714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miintt
You won't be able to see the boost. But you can feel it cause a jerky acceleration. The easiest way I was able to reproduce the problem was taking a left turn and then accelerating out of the left. Once the car dropped into second, I would give it some good gas to build up the boost and then the needle would fluctuate and you could feel the car's acceleration go very jerky as if someone was pumping the gas instead of even acceleration.
Old 12-24-16, 08:52 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

The part is kind of tricky to get out so I decided to do a quick "ghetto" install that makes it easily accessible in case the problem arises again. Car works like normal again!!

Old 02-08-17, 04:04 AM
cbus
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine just started doing this. 16 200t non-F. Taking it in Saturday....it's pretty damn annoying, and does it under pretty much all moderate acceleration.
The following users liked this post:
mcarter45 (02-08-17)
Old 04-03-17, 10:22 PM
pandatroop
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It happened to my car last week. I brought it in and got Lexus to order the part. I will drop my car off tomorrow for them to replace the part. I wonder if the engineers at Lexus actually made revision on this part because I hope it won't come back in the future.
Old 05-20-17, 05:40 PM
Is200tnc
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pandatroop
It happened to my car last week. I brought it in and got Lexus to order the part. I will drop my car off tomorrow for them to replace the part. I wonder if the engineers at Lexus actually made revision on this part because I hope it won't come back in the future.
will having an aftermarket intake installed void the warranty for this repair? I have an Injen intake and Ark exhaust installed and today this same issue started. Going to take car in Monday just wondered if they would refuse to cover this issue under warranty since I have an after market intake.
Old 05-20-17, 06:07 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Is200tnc
will having an aftermarket intake installed void the warranty for this repair? I have an Injen intake and Ark exhaust installed and today this same issue started. Going to take car in Monday just wondered if they would refuse to cover this issue under warranty since I have an after market intake.
I would put back the stock intake. This way it wouldn't give them a reason to blame the modification for the issue.
Old 05-21-17, 12:06 AM
Is200tnc
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy
I would put back the stock intake. This way it wouldn't give them a reason to blame the modification for the issue.
car has been in for service about 1500 miles ago and intake and exhaust were on the car at the time. So they know I have the after market installed. Still change back to stock intake or just ride it out and see what happens?
Old 05-21-17, 08:14 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Is200tnc
car has been in for service about 1500 miles ago and intake and exhaust were on the car at the time. So they know I have the after market installed. Still change back to stock intake or just ride it out and see what happens?
If you have a good relationship with your advisor then I'm sure you will be fine. I don't know if any other IS200T's were taken in for the same issue at your dealer, but I'll just take the intake off just in case since this is a mechanical issue not regular maintenance. Up to you!
Old 05-22-17, 10:09 AM
GTO714
Driver School Candidate

Default Repeat offender.....

Happened AGAIN to my car about 2 weeks ago now at 10k miles. First time it happened was about 5k.

I had to take it in twice this time for them to actually replicate the problem for them. When they did the final diagnosis and pulled the value (wastegate) they found it was just stuck open. I was a little annoyed because if it was stuck open they should have still been able to determine something was wrong even if I couldn't get the boost to jump as consistently as the first time I brought it in. I also noticed this time around I heard a lot of chatter when idling, sounds like very extreme engine knock. The Lexus mechanic said it was noise coming from the wastegate.....another reason they should have automatically gone in an replaced it. So if you hear a lot of chatter at idle and even an additional auxiliary fan noise, chances are you're experiencing the boost problem. I heard both chatter and an auxiliary fan I never heard running at a constant speed and noticeably audible.

They replaced my value with another one of the same type. It doesn't look like they've upgraded the valve yet. So I anticipate it will happen again in about 5,000 miles. STOP BEING DUMB LEXUS!

Quick Reply: IS200t - Boost issue