Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS Hi Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 03:31 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking HKS Hi Power Question

Hi,

I am buying a 2 year old used HKS exhaust, and was told to get new gaskets. Can I reuse the two gaskets that is currently on the HKS? (It seems the OEM is a one piece catback while the HKS has 3 pieces, hence the two additional gaskets)

As for the big gasket connecting the mid-pipe to the catback, is it worth buying one from the dealer or should I reuse the one on the OEM exhaust?

Thanks
Old 01-07-15, 08:44 PM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jst17
Hi,

I am buying a 2 year old used HKS exhaust, and was told to get new gaskets. Can I reuse the two gaskets that is currently on the HKS? (It seems the OEM is a one piece catback while the HKS has 3 pieces, hence the two additional gaskets)

As for the big gasket connecting the mid-pipe to the catback, is it worth buying one from the dealer or should I reuse the one on the OEM exhaust?

Thanks
You should replace all your gaskets whenever you take apart pressure containing components, the integrity of the old gasket breaks down entirely. When you torque up your bolt ons, the pressure created by that makes a perfect seal for the two flanged ends that have imperfections built into them because of the machining process.

If you reuse your gaskets, you will have some level of gapping, which will lead leaks.
Old 01-07-15, 09:38 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
You should replace all your gaskets whenever you take apart pressure containing components,
Ok, I will replace the big gasket between the axelback(HKS) and the midpipe.

However, I do not need to replace the two gasket on the axel back since I am buying the HKS exhaust used from another car, and the gasket has already been sealed. I am assuming the swap does not require me to disassemble the HKS into its original 3 pieces, correct? I can just disconnect it from the mid-pipe and put the entire hks onto my current car?
Old 01-07-15, 11:12 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In short yes.