Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Making Custom Quad Exhaust Tips?

Old 06-28-14, 07:10 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making Custom Quad Exhaust Tips?

I'm currently in the process of placing an order for the Lexon diffuser kit. I really want the quad exhaust appearance, but I haven't found any aftermarket quad exhaust systems for our car.

I could purchase the Lexon quad exhaust (not sure if it's cat-back or axle-back), but I don't know if I want to spend $1700 on it (+$200 tax & shipping = ~$1900 total).

I'm content with the factory sound for now because I don't have to deal with cabin drone or having the exhaust be too obnoxiously loud.

Anyways, my question is how hard would it be for a muffler shop to custom make the quad tips to fit the Lexon diffuser OR should I just pony up the $1900 for the exhaust?

Any advice is greatly appreciated because I want to place my order soon!
Old 06-28-14, 10:29 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

First thing you have to do is decide which diffuser you are going with. Seems you have that figured out. Next is decide whether you are going to just add quad tips to your existing exhaust or get a new one. If you are going to stick with your current one, it will be really easy once your diffuser gets in and you take it to a body shop. They will be able to measure the diffusers opening and should just be able to but off the exhaust tip from the stock one down close to the muffler and weld or bolt on some tips to fit.

IF you decide to get an aftermarket exhaust, well things get a bit more difficult being that the exhaust company has no idea what diffuser you have or the dimensions of where the diffuser openings are. You can't just go to Magnaflow or invidia and ask them to make a quad tip exhaust. They will have no clue how big the tips should be, 80mm/86mm/etc.and how far apart they should be placed. MOST good exhaust companies MIGHT be able to make your custom quad tip exhaust if you let them know which diffuser you are going with and if they can get or you can provide the dimensions to it. If you cant provide it, then you will probably just have to get it shipped the way it is, dual tips, and go to body shop to cut them down and weld or bolt on tips like stated previously, being you have the diffuser on hand for them to measure.
Old 06-29-14, 12:16 AM
SCSurf
Driver

Originally Posted by bucanero
First thing you have to do is decide which diffuser you are going with. Seems you have that figured out. Next is decide whether you are going to just add quad tips to your existing exhaust or get a new one. If you are going to stick with your current one, it will be really easy once your diffuser gets in and you take it to a body shop. They will be able to measure the diffusers opening and should just be able to but off the exhaust tip from the stock one down close to the muffler and weld or bolt on some tips to fit.

IF you decide to get an aftermarket exhaust, well things get a bit more difficult being that the exhaust company has no idea what diffuser you have or the dimensions of where the diffuser openings are. You can't just go to Magnaflow or invidia and ask them to make a quad tip exhaust. They will have no clue how big the tips should be, 80mm/86mm/etc.and how far apart they should be placed. MOST good exhaust companies MIGHT be able to make your custom quad tip exhaust if you let them know which diffuser you are going with and if they can get or you can provide the dimensions to it. If you cant provide it, then you will probably just have to get it shipped the way it is, dual tips, and go to body shop to cut them down and weld or bolt on tips like stated previously, being you have the diffuser on hand for them to measure.
I would preferably like to use the stock muffler right now, but do you think it's possible to modify the factory exhausts to incorporate two exhaust tips per muffler? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quad exhausts have wider mufflers?

Thanks! Sorry - I'm new to modifying cars.
Old 06-29-14, 01:56 AM
Jack1995
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCSurf
I would preferably like to use the stock muffler right now, but do you think it's possible to modify the factory exhausts to incorporate two exhaust tips per muffler? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quad exhausts have wider mufflers?

it is not only possible but fairly easy! any exhaust shops should be able to do it, like the above said, all they have to do is measure the opening, cut the tip, either weld on the quad tip or bolt on hope it helps!
Old 06-29-14, 01:19 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCSurf

Quad exhaust do have wider mufflers and hence couldn't fit on the stock rear diffuser. But having already the Lexon diffuser, they can measure how wide to make the tips to fill in the gaps accordingly.

Lets say # is your muffler
and -- is the stock exhaust tips

#-- being the stock set up

A shop will just have to cut the stock exhaust tips, making it

#-

and then weld on or bolt on dual tips on each exhaust

#-=
Old 06-29-14, 04:57 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Quad exhaust do have wider mufflers and hence couldn't fit on the stock rear diffuser. But having already the Lexon diffuser, they can measure how wide to make the tips to fill in the gaps accordingly.

Lets say # is your muffler
and -- is the stock exhaust tips

#-- being the stock set up

A shop will just have to cut the stock exhaust tips, making it

#-

and then weld on or bolt on dual tips on each exhaust

#-=
Such a useful sketch!

Would adding a quad exhaust change the sound or the performance of the stock exhaust system? I could leave one tip as a dummy tip, but I'd much much rather not do that.
Old 06-29-14, 06:29 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

My understanding of it is, if the opening from the muffler to the tips stays the same, the sound should as well. Which essentially what is being done in the first place. I dont know of many who would be willing to cut out the whole back portion of the muffler, weld a new back on there, and then cut out 2 exhaust exits for quads. More work, and you are altering it a bit too much:
Old 06-29-14, 09:57 PM
SCSurf
Driver

My understanding of it is, if the opening from the muffler to the tips stays the same, the sound should as well. Which essentially what is being done in the first place. I dont know of many who would be willing to cut out the whole back portion of the muffler, weld a new back on there, and then cut out 2 exhaust exits for quads. More work, and you are altering it a bit too much:
Thanks. Would a muffler shop typically suggest brands/styles of tips or is that something I have to buy and bring in?

If so, do I have to buy tips specifically made for quad exhausts?
Old 06-30-14, 04:56 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

shops can make them to specs or order some for you. if you go to a tuner shop they may have them in stock
Old 06-30-14, 03:43 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Don't listen to Larry, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Old 06-30-14, 04:47 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Serious or sarcastic? Lol
Old 06-30-14, 04:56 PM
larry13
Lead Lap

lol he is kidding...i hope :-)