Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just installed my Tanabe Medallion Touring, Fitment Issues!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 07:26 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just installed my Tanabe Medallion Touring, Fitment Issues!?!?

I did a bit of research and settled on the Tanabe Medallion Touring for the IS350, seems to look real nice in the pictures yet not too loud. Ordered it on Amazon and installed it a couple days ago.

I noticed the exhaust tips are pretty out of alignment after the initial install, so I removed and reinstalled it about 4 times already and there is no way the tips are going to align perfectly without some kind of modifications to the rubber hangers or the hangers themselves.

I used zip ties to get pull the hangers to left to get the tips to align with the holes but the problem now is the driver side tip sticks out about 1/2" longer than the passenger side. From the rear it looks real nice and aligned but once you look at it from the side or any other angles you can clearly see the driverside tip extend much more beyond the bumper compared to the passenger side.

Tanabe owners, are your tips like this? It sounds great but my OCD is really kicking into overdrive every time I look at the tips.

Old 03-07-14, 11:20 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is common issue with many exhaust including the F Sport one. One tip is sticking out more than the other. By the picture, the fitment is very nice already. I know that many with Tanabe and M2 have the issue of left side hanging lower than the right side but you seem not have that problem.
Old 03-13-14, 09:30 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Update: I fixed the alignment issue!

So turns out to fix the uneven tips on the Tanabe, this was what worked for me.

I must have uninstalled and reinstalled the exhaust at least 7 or 8 times. To get the tips to become even on my car, it all has to do with the spring bolts connecting the axleback to the midpipe. I had to tighten spring bolt closest to the passenger side all the way down, go to the back and make sure the tips are perfectly aligned, then slowly tighten the bolt closest to the driver side down to spec. I had somebody keep an eye on the tips while I tighten down to make sure it doesn't go out of alignment. I'm thinking the way it sits on the donut gasket affects the tip alignment outcome.

Been driving around for a couple days now and the tips are perfect so far!

Hope this helps somebody with alignment issues.
Old 03-13-14, 09:44 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Interesting, the picture looks pretty good. Clean car! How do you like the sound so far?
Old 03-13-14, 12:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Guessing from that angle it would be hard to tell though.
Old 03-13-14, 01:00 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Interesting, the picture looks pretty good. Clean car! How do you like the sound so far?
Thanks FSport, I really like this exhaust because it looks almost something OEM. Not too flashy but fills in the bumper cutouts nicely compared to the ugly stock tips.

As far as sound, it's VERY quiet, but then that's what I was going for. There is a very slight hint of drone at about 2000 rpms, you can hear it while cruising on the highway but turn up your radio a little and it will drown out.

If you get on it half throttle, you can hear it very nicely. Sounds really good, deep and smooth, but give it anymore gas and my F-Sport intake takes over and sounds louder than the exhaust.

Overall very good exhaust if you want to keep it low key, I reckon most non-owners won't even know it's aftermarket.
Old 03-13-14, 05:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

From your description of sound, it sounds very similar to M2 which is also quiet and grows at 2500 RPM +. There is little drone at 2000-2500 especially driving at 80 MPH. You are right, my family don't even notice the sound difference between this and the stock lol.

I have F Sport exhaust on another car and it sounds way cleaner and sportier than the M2. I like this better but could be too loud for some people.

Somehow the louder the sound gets, the slower i feel, I feel fastest running on stock exhaust because i can rev up to red line easily while with M2 or F Sport, I can feel where my RPM is especially at 2500 and I keep it at that to hear the growl haha.