Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F Sport Intake Lower Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 08:41 PM
Ben250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport Intake Lower Box Question

Sorry if this has been asked or proven before - I searched and couldn't really find an answer on this.

From what I have read, the F Sport intake kit for my 2011 IS250 is basically a new lower box, air filter, and polished pipe. I also read that the F Sport air filter in this kit can be sold individually and fits the stock air box.

Has anyone installed just the F Sport lower box and F Sport air filter reusing the original rubber intake tube? I know that I can order the lower box by itself but I just want to see if this has been done before. I'm not too interested in performing the DIY mods that I have read, I would rather install the F Sport lower box.
Old 01-10-14, 01:07 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The full intake kit will compliment your exhaust. Personally, I have not seen one with just the lower box and filter and would think the OEM intake tube wouldnt be much different other than sound - which I am sure is what you're going for. I say get the whole kit, but its yours to do with as you please. Some just order the Joe-Z intake (basically the same aluminum tube sans branding) and then purchase the other parts to save money.
Old 02-24-14, 06:46 AM
cdown007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the F sport intake (bought from sewell) and honestly I did it to stay with lexus parts, I am sure there are better options for the car if you don't care about warranty and lexus parts.

First off the Kit dosen't come with a CARB sticker! annoying..

I haven't seen a kit that is sold seperatly but I guess it could happen.

The box really is the same box with a F sport logo on it and a hole cut out of the bottom to pull air behind the passanger headlight, which is "colder".

I am always a big fan of improved filters weather its a K&N or not, to include the improved air movement, but whats really a benefit is the lifetime use of the filter as long as you take care of it.

The aluminium tubing is too improve the flow of the air and keep the air from getting hot.. weather its true or not, whatever.. It looks great when I open the hood up.

All and all you don't have to be good with cars to do this project, very simple and takes 30 mins tops.
It makes a throaty sound when you step on it and if you don't you will never know its there.

Good luck and godspeed.

On a sidenote, I don't notice any gains and I don't notice any improvements on mpg.. its a cosmetic thing and easy thing to do to please my car tuner in me since I upgraded to luxury.
Old 02-26-14, 02:28 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay I think I have your answer.

I have the full F-Sport kit, I've tried running it in almost all possible configurations.

First I ran the full F-sport kit, tube, filter and lower box. The car felt like it lost low end torque for some reason but it sounds the best with the full kit install. Sweet, sweet sound.

Next I ran just the F-sport lower box and filter, using the original OEM rubber tube because at the time it seemed maybe the metal pipe was conducting heat. Well it still sounded loud but it also sounded weird. The sound was not bad but it sounded less refined from what I can describe, almost like what a Subaru with an unequal length header would sound like, not as drastic but it's got that weird sound to it. A deep unrefined rumbling..

After that, I put the stock lower box in, ran it with F-Sport tube and filter. low end power seemed to pick back up but it sounded almost like stock. I didn't spend $300+ for my car to sound exactly like stock, same reason why I didn't want to spend $125 for a JoeZ pipe to sound and behave no different.

I put the whole system back in like how it was designed and I'm sticking with that, it might be in my head but the car feels the same or maybe even slower than stock, the sound on the other hand makes it all worth it to have the full kit installed.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (10-01-23)
Old 02-26-14, 04:55 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

I have the full F-Sport kit, I've tried running it in almost all possible configurations.

First I ran the full F-sport kit, tube, filter and lower box. The car felt like it lost low end torque for some reason but it sounds the best with the full kit install. Sweet, sweet sound.

Next I ran just the F-sport lower box and filter, using the original OEM rubber tube because at the time it seemed maybe the metal pipe was conducting heat. Well it still sounded loud but it also sounded weird. The sound was not bad but it sounded less refined from what I can describe, almost like what a Subaru with an unequal length header would sound like, not as drastic but it's got that weird sound to it. A deep unrefined rumbling..

After that, I put the stock lower box in, ran it with F-Sport tube and filter. low end power seemed to pick back up but it sounded almost like stock. I didn't spend $300+ for my car to sound exactly like stock, same reason why I didn't want to spend $125 for a JoeZ pipe to sound and behave no different.

I put the whole system back in like how it was designed and I'm sticking with that, it might be in my head but the car feels the same or maybe even slower than stock, the sound on the other hand makes it all worth it to have the full kit installed.
Originally Posted by cdown007
I have the F sport intake (bought from sewell) and honestly I did it to stay with lexus parts, I am sure there are better options for the car if you don't care about warranty and lexus parts.

First off the Kit dosen't come with a CARB sticker! annoying..

I haven't seen a kit that is sold seperatly but I guess it could happen.

The box really is the same box with a F sport logo on it and a hole cut out of the bottom to pull air behind the passanger headlight, which is "colder".

I am always a big fan of improved filters weather its a K&N or not, to include the improved air movement, but whats really a benefit is the lifetime use of the filter as long as you take care of it.

The aluminium tubing is too improve the flow of the air and keep the air from getting hot.. weather its true or not, whatever.. It looks great when I open the hood up.

All and all you don't have to be good with cars to do this project, very simple and takes 30 mins tops.
It makes a throaty sound when you step on it and if you don't you will never know its there.

Good luck and godspeed.

On a sidenote, I don't notice any gains and I don't notice any improvements on mpg.. its a cosmetic thing and easy thing to do to please my car tuner in me since I upgraded to luxury.
Originally Posted by Ben250
Sorry if this has been asked or proven before - I searched and couldn't really find an answer on this.

From what I have read, the F Sport intake kit for my 2011 IS250 is basically a new lower box, air filter, and polished pipe. I also read that the F Sport air filter in this kit can be sold individually and fits the stock air box.

Has anyone installed just the F Sport lower box and F Sport air filter reusing the original rubber intake tube? I know that I can order the lower box by itself but I just want to see if this has been done before. I'm not too interested in performing the DIY mods that I have read, I would rather install the F Sport lower box.
basically it doesnt really matter how you run the intake setup, ulitmately the car is going to "behave/perform" the same. the biggest difference you will see is with the f sport setup you will really hear it over a certain rpm. just like with the stock airbox and the f sport pipe/joe z pipe, above a certain rpm is when you hear it.

any combo really is going to yield the same effect
Old 02-26-14, 06:05 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i made my own F-sport intake under 25 bucks.
Old 02-26-14, 09:05 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

I totally agree with you.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (10-01-23)