Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX Racing headers GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 11:54 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to update this thread, the part the OP mentions about the steering shaft being close to the driver side header - I found that mine has less than 3/8" clearance to the runner on the last cylinder.

I thought this was close but would be enough - but mine rubs on a hard right turn…

First thing I am going to try is adjusting the motor mounts as the holes in the crossmember are slotted ( I just dropped in the motor) if that does not work, I will need to remove the header and dent that runner in (it's right near the collector so I doubt it'll effect much.

I also don't think the QC on these headers are "perfect" and their jig may not have this clearance marked out as all that critical so most lily not everyone has this issue -

All in all, I am happy with the quality and for the money I don't even mind pulling the headers to "clearance" them.

I've seen $1000 headers for big block chevys that needed to be "clearances"

Also to note is that I also have the PPE headers on my other GS400 and they are a completely different design that totally avoids the steering shaft - but the OBX looks like it might be a better design.

Last edited by angus; 10-30-14 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-01-14, 12:53 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted to update the thread and say that I think a big part of my interference issue is the very soft engine mounts I bought - I used the beck arnley ones and they are SUPER soft - way softer than OEM - I just changed my PS pump and while doing it I noticed that torquing the bolts on the pump I was moving the motor a lot - so I compared it to my other GS4 which had the mounts replaced with OEM a while ago -

I can grab the front of the motor on this car and move the motor left and right about 1" or more and back and forth too!

On my other car, I cannot budge it more than maybe 1/4" (what I'd expect)

So I am going to order up the megan racing mounts and see - they are harder than stock, but a little vibration in a car that now has none won't kill me...
Old 11-24-14, 07:28 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone put a set of headers on a GS400 that just plain fit like they are supposed to, without any issues at all?
Old 11-27-14, 12:00 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Has anyone put a set of headers on a GS400 that just plain fit like they are supposed to, without any issues at all?
The OBX headers fit without issue - you do need to remove the tin shield on the steering U-joint but that's it.

My rubbing was caused by the soft mounts I had - problem is gone with new mounts.