Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

~ 01' GS430 with a 2JZGTE ~

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 08:15 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ~ 01' GS430 with a 2JZGTE ~

So I just got my motor for this project. I will be logging all my progress through this thread. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The 3UZFE is pulled out of the engine bay. The new engine sits while I gather the rest of the parts needed for the drivetrain. I'm going to be mating a W58 for the time being until I can get a V160 next year. I'm in the market for a clutch right now. I'm looking into getting an ACT rigid 6 puck. My question is:

When shopping for a clutch, should I look for a kit designed for a Supra 2JZGTE or a 2JZGE since I will be running a W58 on my GTE.
Old 05-25-12, 10:04 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You need to just order all clutch parts for a NA Supra GE model. As the GTE supras never came with a 5spd w58, they were auto or 6 spd v160 only. And the clutches are not the same for W58 and V160.

6-puck acts are good discs, but make sure you get a sprung disc cause it is way smoother to engage than an un-sprung.

What kinda power you looking to make, and you staying twins or going single?
Old 05-25-12, 10:12 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Oh and you will need a custom driveshaft for the w58, and if you swap to v160 later you will need a different custom shaft, as the w58 is a splined slip output and the v160 is a 4 bolt.
Old 05-27-12, 06:13 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Thanks 99 GS3! I'll be getting a solid rigid disc since I like the way it feels and I'm swapping out to single while the motor is out. I'm used to it already as I have been using it for a while on my brother's SC300. As for the driveshaft, I do have a couple shops in my area lined up who can whip up a single piece for me at a reasonable price. The clutch and brake pedal kit will come from drift motion since it's as complete as it gets. Designed for an MKIV Supra N/A. The only thing that boggles my mind right now is how I'm going to make my speedometer work with this older style W58 speed sensor.
Old 05-27-12, 09:52 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIP161
The only thing that boggles my mind right now is how I'm going to make my speedometer work with this older style W58 speed sensor.
No need to hurt your brain and loosing sleep over this issue, because luckily there is nothing to think about or even do at all for that matter. The GS speedometer reads speed from the wheels ABS sensors, it does not have anything to do with the auto trans. The 2 speed sensors on the trans are signals going only to the engine ecu and are used used for shifting gears. So you can remove every single wire going to the auto trans except the two wires for the reverse lights. And you just jump the neutral start switch inside the ecu box. The second good thing is that the top speed limiter is read from the auto trans sensors, so no auto trans and no more hitting speed cut..
Old 05-28-12, 09:09 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Awesome! Does the tranny subframe mount directly bolt on to the underside of the GS?
Old 06-02-12, 08:54 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Competition Flywheel is ordered. It's a forged steel flywheel that weighs in at 10lbs. That's less than a Fidanza two piece aluminum flywheel. I can't wait for it to come in. Next will be an ACT 6puck rigid disc with a heavy duty plate that will provide over 300% load increase.

What do you guys think about hydraulic throwout bearings? I'll most likely stick to the traditional bearing provided with the ACT kit but I came across one and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these.
Old 06-03-12, 08:00 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Your setup would feel similar to mine, I'm running an evolution 11.5lb forged aluminum flywheel, 6-puck act sprung, and act HD PP. The pedal is ok but a little annoying sometimes, it's a little hard to push down but not terrible, but it really springs back on you with some force, my knee stopped hurting after the first 3 days.

The engagement window is very short, in stop and go traffic defiantly sucks, but otherwise it's ok.. It's kinda slippable but you gotta make it quick..

I'm glad you got the HD plate and not the Xtreme as it would make the pedal pressure insane. The HD will hold plenty of power, it's not slipping on me any, and you can also cheat the power holding some by moving to a 4 puck instead of going up in PP strength.

The lightweight flywheel is ok, it's defiantly revs nicely and you can really tell how quickly it re-revs when you are idling and you tap-tap-tap the accelerator, it's sounds great. You do get a little chatter at idle but nothing major in my case anyway.

It's decent and I'm ok with it as it holds plenty of power, but I've already got an ORC TwinPlate clutch/flywheel/slave kit and another trans that is going to get built and cryo treated and hopefully in the next few months and I will swap it all out, I'm quite interested in feeling the difference in a twinplate compared to the current setup. I've gotten alot of mixed reviews on multiplate clutches, but I want to find out for myself...

I'm also running a 3.5" aluminum one piece shaft, which makes a big difference in rotating mass, so paired with a lightweight flywheel this can help acceleration quite a bit. But lighter isn't always better as I can tell on takeoff the car doesn't spool up quite like a 2jz with a bit more rotational mass, but once your moving game on.

Old 06-03-12, 08:04 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Oh and on the throwout bearing you'll just use the standard act bearing.

Are you referring to the hydraulic slave cylinder conversion kit? There are w58/154 kits to eliminate the external slave cylinder and shift fork and turn it into an internal hydro slave setup, but I don't see much benefit for the cost, as the fork setup works just fine.. But someone else may have input on this conversion.
Old 06-06-12, 07:44 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Thanks a million 99GS3! I'll take some pictures as soon as I get everything put together. I took off the center console so I can get the new tranny ready. I'm curious to see what you did for your center console. I'm looking into having a custom plastic bezel and shift boot made. Can I see what yours looks like? Thank you!
Old 06-06-12, 10:20 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, Im so jealous of you guys. Good luck dude!!
Old 06-08-12, 11:03 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

The day the motor arrived.
Attached Thumbnails ~ 01' GS430 with a 2JZGTE ~-vvti.jpg  
Old 06-09-12, 03:52 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice nice nice now the fun begins!
Old 06-09-12, 06:50 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

New set of wheels are on the way.

18x11 (Front)
18x13 (Rear)

The pictures on the bottom of the picture are of the actual wheels. The picture of the grey GS on top is someone elses GS. I just used it for comparison. The stretched wide rubber should be able to handle the future power of the 2JZ after Im done with it.
Attached Thumbnails ~ 01' GS430 with a 2JZGTE ~-vsxx.jpg  
Old 06-09-12, 07:51 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Lord!!

Quick Reply: ~ 01' GS430 with a 2JZGTE ~