Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another take on the engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 06:57 AM
Tendi23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a newb. But even I know it will never work. There are too many unknowns, other than what's listed above... It wouldn't be a Lexus any longer either. Sell and get an ISF. Or since it will take 40k to get it to work... Put that money down on a lfa
Old 04-09-12, 07:50 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Why would you want to put a crappy motor that consumes oil into an isx50 platform? Do you have a 350 or 250?
Old 04-12-12, 12:52 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, work on getting quals and progressing in the military. You're not fooling me by saying you're gonna take this over to the "auto skills center" on base with all the "right tools" and get this sort of swap completed.

This sentence proves it:
The big issues are figuring out if I need to swap out all interior components such as power seat motors, nav screen, back up camera etc. But I shouldn't have to. Besides the actual sensors, everything else just sends and receives uncoded data so it should be as simple as a few wire splices.

Swappin' out an ole "Ferd" motor ain't the same as the swap you're considering, trust me.

Last edited by four o two; 04-12-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 08:21 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Why not take that $950 (great deal, btw) drivetrain and jam it into a Cobra clone or Caterham? For all you'll be getting out of it, a simple badass 2 seater would be way cooler to cruise Bragg Blvd. in.

I'd take that route in a second if I had the same opportunity as you have now.
Old 04-13-12, 07:46 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ambitious to say the least, and I respect that. Don't really see the benefit (unless I'm missing something). An IS350 is rated at 306hp and my understanding is that a G37 is rated at 330. Unless this is going to allow you lots of other power add on options to boost that upwards of 400hp, I just don't see that it would be worth going to the amount of trouble that you are signing up for. If you were gonna try and squeeze a 500hp front engine Ferrari engine in an IS, I would be right there to see every step of the mod. Best wishes none the less, and keep us updated with your progress.
Old 04-16-12, 09:14 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Tendi23
I'm a newb. But even I know it will never work. There are too many unknowns, other than what's listed above... It wouldn't be a Lexus any longer either. Sell and get an ISF. Or since it will take 40k to get it to work... Put that money down on a lfa
$40k? Not even close, I have the engine out of the g now along with most of it's wiring harness and the components where the wiring terminates as well as the ecus.

Currently Working on mapping out the Lexus wiring harness and sensor types/numbers, ecus and control bodies and so far I've spent a little over a grand. As for it not being a Lexus...who cares? When I get this done I think I'm gonna call it an inflexus...yeah I like that.
Old 04-16-12, 09:18 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by four o two
Dude, work on getting quals and progressing in the military. You're not fooling me by saying you're gonna take this over to the "auto skills center" on base with all the "right tools" and get this sort of swap completed.

This sentence proves it:

Swappin' out an ole "Ferd" motor ain't the same as the swap you're considering, trust me.
I agree with your last point, but I've already done the simple ****. My 1000hp supra build is still up on thesupraforum. No, it's no where near the complexity or unknown territory of this build but that's sorta the point y'know? Plus...da **** else am I gonna do with a totaled g37? The vqr potential in it alone is worth the effort I think.
As for progressing in the military...I've got the only tab that matters man, it's
Not like I have to fight tooth an nail for rank or money or schools or...you get the point.
Old 04-16-12, 09:21 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Why would you want to put a crappy motor that consumes oil into an isx50 platform? Do you have a 350 or 250?
I have a 350. The reason for the swap
Is the potential for adde power with the vqr platform. Turn key kits for he engine boost it to 450bhp, a little more love and 600+ is doable.
Old 04-16-12, 09:24 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by mbeach
Why not take that $950 (great deal, btw) drivetrain and jam it into a Cobra clone or Caterham? For all you'll be getting out of it, a simple badass 2 seater would be way cooler to cruise Bragg Blvd. in.

I'd take that route in a second if I had the same opportunity as you have now.
Lol I'd feel sheepish next the the viper that likes to tool around Bragg on the weekends...then again up here at Lewis there's not one, not two, but three gt-rs used as dd's, one owned by an e-5 lol! That plus the lotus and the ten or so m-3's m-6's I'm not going to be wining any drag races. But I'll have the fastest is350 this side of...hopefully anywhere
Old 04-16-12, 09:26 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Ambitious to say the least, and I respect that. Don't really see the benefit (unless I'm missing something). An IS350 is rated at 306hp and my understanding is that a G37 is rated at 330. Unless this is going to allow you lots of other power add on options to boost that upwards of 400hp, I just don't see that it would be worth going to the amount of trouble that you are signing up for. If you were gonna try and squeeze a 500hp front engine Ferrari engine in an IS, I would be right there to see every step of the mod. Best wishes none the less, and keep us updated with your progress.
Boost potential is exactly the reason. That and I'm a huge fan of Nissan. Just not the g37, or m37...or 350z. The styling is jet WTF to me. I
Like my lex, she's got class, she's sexy...just needs a little more umph
Old 04-16-12, 01:06 PM
mbeach
Rookie

RLTW!
I'll be watching to see how this turns out.
I still say a VQ Cobra is overdue.
Old 04-18-12, 09:09 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Well...Update
So I'm staring disgruntledly at the engine and harness of the G last night when I get a call from a (sort of) coworker who offered me $2500 for the engine.
I guess a few people where I work knew I was messing around with an infinity engine and this guy wanted it.
He came by and checked the whole thing out and I talked him up to $2900 while we smoked outside in front of the gutted body of the totalled G because I did all the work of of pulling the engine and harness (which I don't think he needs but w/e).

But for having got the whole thing for under a grand I couldn't really say no could I?
bad news is now I have no engine with which to do my engine swap.
good news is I have a spare $4500 with which to start something else.

Since I made big promises and I couldn't deliver. I throw myself on CL's mercy and ask:

"What do you guys wanna see?"

Obviously there's another attempt at realistic, "cheap" FI, which I'm down for but I'll have to start my research train all over again.

But there's other stuff that could potentially be more beneficial to you guys like say, muleing my car on the low-compression pistons that are (so I'm told) being developed buy various companies at the behest of guys like lobuxracer (Not sure if he's still doing it) and others.

I'm interested in anyone's opinion though things that are going to severely detract from the appeal of my car (ie. "Gut your is350 to see how light you can get it!) are probably gonna get politely turned down.

So if anyone has something they've wanted to do but couldn't for lack of the cash lemme know.

thanks guys and sry again.
Old 04-18-12, 12:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We've been hearing "I've got someone making me some low CR pistons" for a few years now from one place or another, and we've yet to actually see any.

If you actually got that done and, between that and an HKS F-con or MAPECU3 (and some added fueling I imagine) were able to run an appreciable amount of boost... that'd be something.

Mind you, not something I expect you'd be able to do for $4500. $4500 won't get you much further than a used supercharger running stock-ECU boost levels (so 5-6 psi)....now add the cost of the custom pistons, any added fueling, and the piggyback unit, plus any labor if you can't do it yourself... and you'd be lucky to get it done for twice your budget.

At which point you'll need to be producing significantly more power than a stock IS-F to justify the cost.
Old 04-18-12, 01:42 PM
mbeach
Rookie

2JZ-GTE swap.
Old 04-18-12, 04:19 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
We've been hearing "I've got someone making me some low CR pistons" for a few years now from one place or another, and we've yet to actually see any.

If you actually got that done and, between that and an HKS F-con or MAPECU3 (and some added fueling I imagine) were able to run an appreciable amount of boost... that'd be something.

Mind you, not something I expect you'd be able to do for $4500. $4500 won't get you much further than a used supercharger running stock-ECU boost levels (so 5-6 psi)....now add the cost of the custom pistons, any added fueling, and the piggyback unit, plus any labor if you can't do it yourself... and you'd be lucky to get it done for twice your budget.

At which point you'll need to be producing significantly more power than a stock IS-F to justify the cost.
HKS350 was spitting that jazz a while back. I'm searching for any updatedes pertaining as we speak. He's also running what you described above man, minus the Low CR-pistons. He's spent a **** ton more than $4500 to and has yet to POST gains that even put him on the level with an IS-F....then again I hear HP gains by having a wing on your car are minimal no matter HOW big it is

I can go that rout though. I'll have to ask members who posted about Low CR pistons who they talked to and what came of it.
Outside that, if anyone could direct me to a reputtable shop who could produce I'll be all over trying to get some made.
I imagine just the custom piston design would take up most if not more than my origional $4500 but if it lowers of Compression into the green zone for real boost It'll really help out the community and possibly get our FI mod community off life support.

Quick Reply: Another take on the engine swap.