Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TC void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 12:25 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TC void warranty

Considering getting the PI TC, will this void my transmission warranty if I get it installed at a Lexus dealer?
Old 09-10-02, 11:09 AM
JacobT

I doubt dealer will do the no-Lexus part installation unless you have a buddy there.

After the TC installed, if you have tranny problems, you'll need to remove the after market TC before you go to the dealer asking for warranty repair. That's what you have to deal with after market parts in your car.
Old 09-10-02, 11:41 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Thanks...think I'll hold off on the TC for now.
Old 09-10-02, 12:27 PM
RacingAristo

It doesn't matter where you install the aftermarket TC. Since it's not L-tuned, it will void the warranty.
Old 09-10-02, 12:34 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

It all depends on how "cool" your dealer is. I had my TC installed at the Lexus dealership where I had no friends (didn't even buy the car there). I talked to them about how warranty items would be handled. They seemed pretty cool about not immediately placing blame on the TC if some part of the driveline failed. Of course I haven't had to test that out yet so who knows the reality of the situation.

YMMV
Old 09-10-02, 05:59 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Mac,

You should do the LSD first since that is less harmful to your tranny..... I sat in someone else's GS430 with LSD.....I can feel the difference when launching the car.....

Let me know if you are interested, maybe I will going in with you on the buy and install. We need to call Steve G. again to ask him to give us a price break since we missed the group buy already.

Let me know......
Old 09-10-02, 09:17 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
Mac,

You should do the LSD first since that is less harmful to your tranny..... I sat in someone else's GS430 with LSD.....I can feel the difference when launching the car.....

Let me know if you are interested, maybe I will going in with you on the buy and install. We need to call Steve G. again to ask him to give us a price break since we missed the group buy already.

Let me know......
Roger, Sounds like a plan...I'll look into it and get back with you
Old 09-11-02, 10:27 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Both Dex and DaveGS4 had their TC's installed at their Lexus dealer. I'm not sure about the warranty issues, but at least it was dealer installed, so if something goes wrong, you have that fact to fall back on.
Old 09-11-02, 10:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Mumbles,

Sorry, actually Mo at SRT did mine almost three years ago (had it done at the same time I had the intake and suspension done). I'm 99% Dex had Mo put his on as well at the same time he did the intake.

We both had our LSDs (his is a Supra-type, mine is a TRD) put in at the dealer with no issue whatsoever.

edit - I also had the dealer stick on the tranny cooler to keep the TC cool!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-11-02 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 01:04 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Do you know the difference between the Supra LSD vs the TRD LSD. I have only sat in the GS430 with Supra LSD. I really like the way how it quickly launch the car. I can definitely feel the difference between his and mine.

okay, nevermind.....I just did a search on the forum. This topic has been beaten to death 3 times to hell and back.

However, I still cannot decide which one I want to get.......sucks.

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 09-11-02 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 03:09 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Roger - Same here...I've been searching the forum trying to decide which, if any, LSD I want to get. Still researching...I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 09-12-02, 01:58 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Mac,

Did you see RacingAristro's latest update on his engine check light on due to the TC..... One more reason that I am not getting the TC installed at this point. I am a pretty picky person, I don't think I can deal with the engine check light on all the time, even though there is nothing really wrong with the car.

If we are not going to install the TC, then I think we should look into the Supra's 3.72 ratio LSD (RMM LSD). If we are going to install the TC, then it seem that TRD LSD is a better bet.

After you do some research, we will hook up and talk about it. I may just give STeve G. a call and ask him for his opinion.
Old 09-12-02, 03:25 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Roger,

After giving it more thought and doing a little research, I've decided I'm not installing either, not anytime in the near future anyway. In fact, after I get my coilovers installed Friday I don't plan on doing any more mods for a while...gotta know when to say when
Old 09-12-02, 10:40 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Mumbles,

Sorry, actually Mo at SRT did mine almost three years ago (had it done at the same time I had the intake and suspension done). I'm 99% Dex had Mo put his on as well at the same time he did the intake.

We both had our LSDs (his is a Supra-type, mine is a TRD) put in at the dealer with no issue whatsoever.

edit - I also had the dealer stick on the tranny cooler to keep the TC cool!
DOH! Brainfart... I knew you guys had a tranny mod done by the dealer, just mixed up which one. Thanks for clarifying. By the way, feeling any better?