Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Synthetic Oil - Change Interval

Old 07-05-12, 09:14 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow 122K...thats crazy! haha...but Im sure almost everyone thinks my 50K is crazy.

The think I wonder about, is if he ever had to add oil, or change the filter...

Thanks for the link :-)

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Check this out Dave, I got this news letter from Blackstone -- http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...m_medium=email
Old 08-28-12, 10:35 AM
gs400rpg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this thread was my first post a year ago lol.

so did you ever get the oil checked out? results?
Old 08-28-12, 11:11 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I just havnt put enough miles on my new oil yet to do the analysis. Im at 156,500 miles...so another 1500 an it will be 10K miles.

I just dont drive this car very often anymore. But I drive it at least once a week still...to stores, etc. Still running great, although my front leather seats are now trashed from the AZ sun and 255K miles. I park my truck in the shade...fell bad for this car, but gotta sacrifice one of em.

Once I do my next Oil change I may do the analysis since I will have oil in the filter to use...I DO NOT Plan on changing all the oil, I will add a quart or so and a new filter, and keep her driving it.

Originally Posted by gs400rpg
wow this thread was my first post a year ago lol.

so did you ever get the oil checked out? results?

Last edited by az-dave; 08-29-12 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 12:13 PM
execlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to add to this thread my point of view on the filters. I have personally seen almost every brand of filter on the market cut open to compare them all to each other. I am never going to use any brand of filter besides Toyota/Lexus OEM again. The OEM are far superior to any other filter out there, you name it.. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, K&N... they are all similar, but some have cardboard caps and OEM is a steel cap with more surface area in the folds. The holes for oil flow might also be in different places because the brands have to make them for more than one specified vehicle. If you drive a vehicle that is made by toyota or lexus, then go get a toyota or lexus oil filter. It will be the exact match the original engineers intended for the vehicle, and that's what it really comes down to. They didn't spend all the time engineering the engine for you to just slap on some random oil filter. There is a reason OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer, and a reason they still sell the vehicle specific filters at the dealerships. They're no more expensive (mine was $6), and sometimes more affordable than the "higher-end" filters that can literally look the same as a Fram internally (Fram are very poorly constructed with small surface area and a flimsy cardboard cap.) OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters are far superior than any other brand for your Toyota/Lexus vehicle. Don't be fooled by advertising gimmicks.. If you don't believe me go buy one of your favorite brand filters, and OEM one, and cut them open and compare.
Old 11-19-12, 08:01 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

I understand where your coming from, but something you need to consider is that most if not all "OEM" oil filters are Not made my the car mfgr, they are sourced-out from one of the large filter mfgr's. Toyota happens to source from a good oil filter mfgr - Denso, and has a large Surface area, but its not made by Toyota, and the parts inside of it are shared with other cars Denso make "OEM" filters for, such as Honda etc.

Here is a good link: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

And here is a good link where a guy spent lots money and time comparing filtering ability of the actual media: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Now as for EOM filters being "Far Superior" to "ANY" Aftermarket filter, Im not gunna agree on that fully, especially for other car mfgrs. Purolator PureOne Oil filters are exceptionally good, (different internal design, larger filter sqin and filter media, etc) as are the K&N. Ive seen them taken apart. Mobile-One is also a good filter, but due to the unique design Toyota specs Denso to make their filter, the Toyo Brand name filter is probably a little better.

Ive never been one to subscribe to the notion that OEM is better or worse, or I "Must" follow this or that rule etc...and the fact Ive got almost 260K miles on a Lexus not changing the oil at 5K intervals and NEVER using a Toyota filter...Id have to question the line of thinking that a toyota oil filter is going to make my Lexus last any longer than it is...

I mean seriously...How many people, especially Lexus owner keep any car must past 100K..and cars over 100K are usually bought by who?

I have more problems with my damned Leather seats finally crapping out last year and completely shot, than I do any serious engine trouble, and the fact that at 240+K miles running Oil "My Way" with non OEM filters and not having Any sludge at all...well, it kinda negates the notion that in order to have a good running car you have to run an OEM filter...???

Originally Posted by execlex
I just wanted to add to this thread my point of view on the filters. I have personally seen almost every brand of filter on the market cut open to compare them all to each other. I am never going to use any brand of filter besides Toyota/Lexus OEM again. The OEM are far superior to any other filter out there, ... and for your Toyota/Lexus vehicle. Don't be fooled by advertising gimmicks.. If you don't believe me go buy one of your favorite brand filters, and OEM one, and cut them open and compare.

Last edited by az-dave; 11-19-12 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 10:12 AM
execlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by az-dave
I understand where your coming from, but something you need to consider is that most if not all "OEM" oil filters are Not made my the car mfgr, they are sourced-out from one of the large filter mfgr's. Toyota happens to source from a good oil filter mfgr - Denso, and has a large Surface area, but its not made by Toyota, and the parts inside of it are shared with other cars Denso make "OEM" filters for, such as Honda etc.

Here is a good link: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

And here is a good link where a guy spent lots money and time comparing filtering ability of the actual media: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Now as for EOM filters being "Far Superior" to "ANY" Aftermarket filter, Im not gunna agree on that fully, especially for other car mfgrs. Purolator PureOne Oil filters are exceptionally good, (different internal design, larger filter sqin and filter media, etc) as are the K&N. Ive seen them taken apart. Mobile-One is also a good filter, but due to the unique design Toyota specs Denso to make their filter, the Toyo Brand name filter is probably a little better.

Ive never been one to subscribe to the notion that OEM is better or worse, or I "Must" follow this or that rule etc...and the fact Ive got almost 260K miles on a Lexus not changing the oil at 5K intervals and NEVER using a Toyota filter...Id have to question the line of thinking that a toyota oil filter is going to make my Lexus last any longer than it is...

I mean seriously...How many people, especially Lexus owner keep any car must past 100K..and cars over 100K are usually bought by who?

I have more problems with my damned Leather seats finally crapping out last year and completely shot, than I do any serious engine trouble, and the fact that at 240+K miles running Oil "My Way" with non OEM filters and not having Any sludge at all...well, it kinda negates the notion that in order to have a good running car you have to run an OEM filter...???
Let's not take things out of context here. What is said was "OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters are far superior than any other brand for your Toyota/Lexus vehicle."
Yeah, denso might manufacture them, but to toyota's specifications. I am repeating myself by saying other brands are manufactured for many many different vehicles. I have also seen those websites already, and personally have seen filters cut open in person.. I am following recommendations per the manufacturer, who I believe knows the most about what they have created. Sure you can the same results, but IMO (in my opinion, which is what my post is all about!) why stray from Toyota specs????
Old 11-20-12, 06:08 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The bottle of mobil 1 extended life says 15,000 miles so it should be good for at least that. People who only drive very short trips should get their gas from a gas station far away so you thoughtfully warm up your engine or you will get water in your oil over time due to condensation, or consciously drive it further every so often.

Last edited by sam12345; 11-20-12 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 06:28 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

This whole time we were worried about the oil but it's the filter that matters

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1622953

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1623685&page=1

Last edited by sam12345; 11-20-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 07:19 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Well the one thing I learned. Stay the hell away from fram filters
Old 11-20-12, 08:38 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

No reason to stray per se, im a big fan of high quality critical components, honestly I have a big aversion to the dealers, just really bad experiences here in town, and they all require me to take extra time because they are not close, but I can pick up the K&N 2 miles from home.

I agree with your analysis, especially with TOY's filter design, actually most TOY EOM parts are superior, look at how long the cars last. All my other stuff is OEM parts...the parts stores dont tend to carry too many TY parts which forces me to the dealer for stuff like Waterpump or Timing belt, Spark plugs etc.

I just wish my Leather wouldnt have decided to go bust this past summer...prior to that, it was damn near impossible to tell im pushing 260K miles. It sure doesnt drive like it. :-)

Originally Posted by execlex
Let's not take things out of context here. What is said was "OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters are far superior than any other brand for your Toyota/Lexus vehicle."
Yeah, denso might manufacture them, but to toyota's specifications. I am repeating myself by saying other brands are manufactured for many many different vehicles. I have also seen those websites already, and personally have seen filters cut open in person.. I am following recommendations per the manufacturer, who I believe knows the most about what they have created. Sure you can the same results, but IMO (in my opinion, which is what my post is all about!) why stray from Toyota specs????
Old 11-20-12, 09:13 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Ahhh...Finally someone taking note.

Mobile One is finally advertising it..and the kick is that they know its actually good far past 15K miles, but for liability purposes, and the fact that selling every 15K instead of 30, 40, 50K still makes more money, they say 15K "Guaranteed".

As long as you filter Synthetic Oils Good, and dont heat them past their thermal breakdown limit, they virtually last "forever"...But we all know fuel, exhaust gasses, and some of the oil in each change is exposed to the actual ignition chamber at temps over its breakdown limit...so after a while more and more of the oil goes bad, even with changing the filter every 5K and adding 1 or 2 qts of oil.

Filter Media is King...plus how well the internal construction prevents unfiltered oil from bypassing the media (think cardboard end caps...really)

Originally Posted by sam12345
The bottle of mobil 1 extended life says 15,000 miles so it should be good for at least that. People who only drive very short trips should get their gas from a gas station far away so you thoughtfully warm up your engine or you will get water in your oil over time due to condensation, or consciously drive it further every so often.
Old 11-20-12, 01:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I only run OEM filter on my Lexus. But I've been using Fram filters on my honda with no problems for years.
Old 11-20-12, 01:06 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Default Update

When I originally started this thread I had just completed an Oil change, at just under 248K (my record shows 247750)

Ive now got 258750K miles on it, thats 11K miles.

Did my last Oil change at 254K, getting ready to do another.

In that time Ive added 2.5 qts of Oil plus the 1 qt when I did the last filter, which Is well within the 1qt per 2000 miles Toyota says is ok - about 1 qt per 5000 miles, not shabby...actually on some of their newer cars such as Scion Toyota says they may consume up to a liter per 600 miles!!! Woooooeee now that would bother me.

Im still running on the original O2 sensors and Cat, and still passed AZ emissions last June, so I know overall the engine is running good. (My foot says so too when I merge at 85mph on the freeway!)

Anyway, The car is being driven daily now by my wife, no probs. Still getting 20-23 MPG, and other than the leather seats and fuel cap door which broke, its running fine.

Its getting close to that time where I may send a sample in for Analysis like I said I would...I just need to take the time.
Old 11-20-12, 01:48 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Its getting close to that time where I may send a sample in for Analysis like I said I would...I just need to take the time.
im getting close to sending in my 2nd one for analysis....i normally change at 5-6k and im about to hit 5k on my synthetic and they said that was fine last time but im not willing to stretch it yet without having another comparison of it
Old 11-20-12, 02:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Im still running on the original O2 sensors and Cat, and still passed AZ emissions last June, so I know overall the engine is running good. (My foot says so too when I merge at 85mph on the freeway!)

Does AZ do Tailpipe emission testing? Dyno or no dyno testing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil - Change Interval