Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AFE Air Intake Kit?

Old 02-23-11, 11:24 PM
SteemInjen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Just installed my AFE stage 2 (dry filter) a few days ago, great sound on the high end. Gains? Probably the same as other intakes. On the AFE site it says 15hp so me thinks that 50hp is a typo or bad info on that websites part.
Old 02-24-11, 06:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the AFE site is lying too, it's just not lying as badly as the other site
Old 02-25-11, 11:30 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had both the joeZ and AFE intake and honestly cant tell the difference in power when they're installed. If you want to get something close to stock, go with the joeZ. On the other hand, if you want to go for a great sound get the AFE. just my .02
Old 03-01-11, 01:41 PM
machefai
Driver

is this the intake you're all referring to: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...e=&&brandID=78

Are you sure it's not legit? I mean I know it can't add 50hp, but site says 16.....maybe? Or is 15+/-hp even too much for just an intake/filter change? Looks like it won a SEMA award in last years show? Not sure what that means, but seems like it's a bit more legit at the 15+/-hp?

I also just found this video of their intake on an is350(sounds way better than stock!) on a dyno showing +13hp and +11lbsTQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDE4...layer_embedded

I'm in the market for an intake too and would love to hear everyone's thoughts! Anyone have this one installed and dyno'd before/after?

As an fyi, you can find it cheaper than that first site by googling the part number.
Old 03-01-11, 02:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

First problem is they don't even know how to dyno a car properly- they run it in the wrong gear.

Which might explain why even their "after" number appears to be massively too low for even a stock IS350.

But yea, even 15 is a lot more than anyone has ever independently dynoed from an intake on a 2IS.

Like 3 times more.

And the pictures are very, very clearly showing a short ram, not a cold air intake, if they lie to you about that you can be pretty sure they cheat on the dyno too. It's funny they were dumb enough to include in the video they used the wrong gear though.

(oh, and their SEMA award? it's given out by journalists based on what "they thought would most appeal to consumers in their home markets")

They give out about 150 of them. Every year.

Makes for nice advertising though.
Old 03-01-11, 05:31 PM
machefai
Driver

^Thanks Kurtz, everything you mention makes sense. It's just that they have a ton of Dyno clips with results on their youtube page showing HP results in the teens! They also have hundreds of reviews on sites with 4 or 5 stars for BMW's, Infiniti's and others. There's no way it can all be a sham! Can it?

I'd be interested to hear from folks who've installed and dyno'd. I too think 15hp is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'd like to see how it stacks up to the JoeZ or F-Sport! Seems like it falls somewhere in between as far as costs go! If we find that it can come in over 5 ponies, might be worth considering, you know?
Old 03-01-11, 05:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

It sure can be a sham... I'd bet you 98% of folks who buy short ram intakes never dyno their cars for one.

I mean, it's not a "sham" in that you don't actually receive an intake... and it's not a sham in that it probably DOES flow more air than whatever stock intake any given car comes with... it's just that the results are exaggerated... and that's true of virtually every major aftermarket parts producer out there...

If you ever called em up and said "Hey, I only gained 6 hp and you said it can add 13!" they'll point out they say "Can add up to 13" and of course results can vary!

"up to" is a great phrase for avoiding lawsuits.

So it's not like they're charging $400 for an intake and sending you an empty box... you get an intake... and I'm sure it DOES make more power than stock... but I'm equally sure it doesn't make as much as they claim it does, and I'd be pretty shocked if it made any more than the $125 one Joe Z sells.

(and almost certainly less in "from a dead stop" launches due to sucking hotter air... but a dyno test won't show that since it's done with the hood up and usually a bunch of big fans blowing on the front of the car... which isn't at all how it'd be used in real life)
Old 03-01-11, 06:50 PM
machefai
Driver

Just came across a very cool article someone else posted on these intakes. Pretty interesting and goes in depth about these new Maf signal converters. After testing, they say they consistently get a 6hp increase over stock. See article here. Make sure to click on the second two pages as they show results of the dyno on page 3.

Nice lookin intake too, with a heat guard to boot! So torn now!
Old 03-01-11, 07:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by machefai
Just came across a very cool article someone else posted on these intakes. Pretty interesting and goes in depth about these new Maf signal converters. After testing, they say they consistently get a 6hp increase over stock. See article here. Make sure to click on the second two pages as they show results of the dyno on page 3.

Nice lookin intake too, with a heat guard to boot! So torn now!
So at 2-3 times the price they managed 1 more hp than the Joe Z tube gives you?

That's well within the margin of error of the dyno itself, so I'm gonna stick with their little "ETI" box is doing exactly nothing for you.

The other problem is a stock IS350 pretty consistently puts down about 265 rwhp on a dynojet.

Yet with their intake they claim 249.

Which again makes me think they have no idea how to dyno a car correctly, or they're simply cheating on the test to show a gain.
Old 03-02-11, 08:09 AM
machefai
Driver

Okay, crap, my bad. Just noticed that article link I posted above was for an AEM/ETI intake, NOT the AFE like we were discussing. Nonetheless, why is the dyno off and in line with the AFE dyno? Especially since that last link I sent was a completely separate third party (motoiq.com) reviewing a separate intake(AEM)! You'd think they would be unbiased since they don't sell either of their products? Bizarre, right?

At any rate, think I'm gonna hold off until I hear from some more folks who've actually installed. Looks like there were a few people who recently had one come in.

Also as an fyi, you can get your hands on an AFE from amazon w/ free shipping for only few bucks more than Joez's. So for an intake, a filter, better growl sound, a heat guard(not sure if this is better than stock box) and possibly more HP's, I'd say it def worth investigating further! I just would like to hear from more folks prior to purchase to make 100% sure. Although there seems there's such great feedback on the joez's, if there's something newer and better out, I'd love to know about it!! Like the other AEM/ETI too, that's a good looking intake in the gun metal color! But I don't care what it looks like if it doesn't perform!
Old 10-28-13, 04:44 PM
neilvosko
Pole Position

can anyone compare this to the AEM ETI ?
Old 10-28-13, 04:45 PM
neilvosko
Pole Position

what about the stock F Sport ?
Old 10-28-13, 05:54 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant believe people still believe this crap. Its been a while since someone has made a performance chip thread......
Old 02-25-14, 02:43 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the afe with joe z intake love it nice growl