Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help DIY transmission fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 11:30 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pizdets17
thanks I'll take another look tonight, was too tired after installing my steering bushings while on Sudafed last night lol.
Hey man. Im actually about to do a drain and fill right now. I can snap a pic of the bolt and post it up if you want!
Old 10-01-10, 11:31 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a pic is worth 10000 forum posts, for sure thanks!

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey man. Im actually about to do a drain and fill right now. I can snap a pic of the bolt and post it up if you want!
Old 10-01-10, 11:33 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pizdets17
a pic is worth 10000 forum posts, for sure thanks!
No problem man. I'll have that up within the next hour!
Old 10-01-10, 12:00 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody else have a hard time considering other brand cars just because you'd have to leave the CL community? I love this place
Old 10-01-10, 12:01 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Heres the bolt. It's a 14mm, be careful when taking the bolt off as the fluid will come out with a little bit of velocity and on the nut there is a crush washer. Do not lose it! Wait till everything drains out. Put the bolt back on and tighten firmly. Then fill with 2 quarts of toyota ATF type T-IV fluid with a long funnel in the transmission dipstick. Pretty easy job. Repeat several times each a few days apart since all the old fluid will still be in the transmission lines. I just bought 8 quarts at the toyota dealership so i'm going to do 4 drain and fills. Good luck!

Also, put some newspapers under your catch pan since there will be some splashings. I found that the business section works best.
Attached Thumbnails help DIY transmission fluid flush-photo-1.jpg   help DIY transmission fluid flush-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by TLcoats; 10-01-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 12:28 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome! Thanks

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Heres the bolt. It's a 14mm, be careful when taking the bolt off as the fluid will come out with a little bit of velocity and on the nut there is a crush washer. Do not lose it! Wait till everything drains out. Put the bolt back on and tighten firmly. Then fill with 2 quarts of toyota ATF type T-IV fluid with a long funnel in the transmission dipstick. Pretty easy job. Repeat several times each a few days apart since all the old fluid will still be in the transmission lines. I just bought 8 quarts at the toyota dealership so i'm going to do 4 drain and fills. Good luck!

Also, put some newspapers under your catch pan since there will be some splashings. I found that the business section works best.
Old 06-27-11, 12:25 PM
Gdfela400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine for the first time, what a difference already. Thanks for the tips TLCoats.
I agree with jiBBel, why get another brand when you've got CL
Old 07-08-11, 09:36 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwdinAKZHE

video is worth even more.

btw i made a typo.. 14mm not 12mm. dunno why i put that o_O
Old 07-08-11, 05:55 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

just did a tranny D&R last night.. will do it again this weekend for the second time.. thanks for the all the post and information.
Old 07-08-11, 11:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
video is worth even more.
thats a good video vince but its NOT a complete flush....

although im concerned with banana's thoughts of doing a "complete" flush.

http://bananags.grantham-internation...completetrans/

i dunno how i feel about starting the car with the hose undone....even for 2-4 seconds

since i FINALLY got ALL my A.N. fittings sorted out, and im fixing to hook up my tranny cooler and remote mount filter i wanna do a complete flush and i dunno how unless i take it in....or do your method SEVERAL,SEVEREAL times, wasting alot of fluid in the process. i mean your flushing what maybe 2-4l out on a 16l capacity system....
Old 07-09-11, 12:07 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
thats a good video vince but its NOT a complete flush....

although im concerned with banana's thoughts of doing a "complete" flush.

http://bananags.grantham-internation...completetrans/

i dunno how i feel about starting the car with the hose undone....even for 2-4 seconds

since i FINALLY got ALL my A.N. fittings sorted out, and im fixing to hook up my tranny cooler and remote mount filter i wanna do a complete flush and i dunno how unless i take it in....or do your method SEVERAL,SEVEREAL times, wasting alot of fluid in the process. i mean your flushing what maybe 2-4l out on a 16l capacity system....
youre right Brian its a drain fill not flush

i would like to try that method of disconnecting the cooler and just having the fluid empty out n then refilling. Maybe this process is best with 2 peeps?

1). first person will monitor the fluid running out the hose and measure if its one quart.
2). second person will gradually pour T4 down the dipstick at the same rate as the draining fluid.

ive done drain and fill 7 times so far in my year of ownership of the Cinnabar GS... i turned the fluid from black to purpleish red.. not quite cherry red yet unfortunately 14 goddam QUARTS!!

but yea turning on the car on n off so many times... i can hear the starter scream bloody mary. lol
Old 07-09-11, 12:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

youre right Brian its a drain fill not flush

i would like to try that method of disconnecting the cooler and just having the fluid empty out n then refilling. Maybe this process is best with 2 peeps?

1). first person will monitor the fluid running out the hose and measure if its one quart.
2). second person will gradually pour T4 down the dipstick at the same rate as the draining fluid.

ive done drain and fill 7 times so far in my year of ownership of the Cinnabar GS... i turned the fluid from black to purpleish red.. not quite cherry red yet unfortunately 14 goddam QUARTS!!

but yea turning on the car on n off so many times... i can hear the starter scream bloody mary. lol
yeah i just bought a case of 12 from sewell the other day but with the cooler and the remote mount going on i may buy another case and try the complete flush. im thinking with my new setup i will probably hold about 20l

look at the last post in this vince....im retarded lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-the-2gs.html
Old 07-09-11, 09:46 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

yea i saw that. crazy stuff haha. try the flush method with a friend n tell us how that went
Old 07-11-11, 10:39 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To anyone else doing drain n fills... do not over-tighten the drain bolt. It strips VERY easily And then you buy a new tranny pan, and feel quite silly indeed.
Old 07-11-11, 02:24 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

yea i saw that. crazy stuff haha. try the flush method with a friend n tell us how that went
i will....

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
To anyone else doing drain n fills... do not over-tighten the drain bolt. It strips VERY easily And then you buy a new tranny pan, and feel quite silly indeed.
couldn't you just weld the OEM hole over and either bung the OEM pan in another location or rethread the OEM hole?

Quick Reply: help DIY transmission fluid flush