Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Resonator removal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 01:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MonsterIS
hey guys, sorry to bring this forum back up but is that resonator a bolt on or a welded part? im thinking about ordering one to pair it up with my m2 exhaust to see what it would sound like! thanks!
Well, it's whatever you want really. Ideally one would weld on flanges onto the new res and install...but most probably hack off the flanges and just weld into place.
Old 12-20-11, 09:04 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remove mine but it sound about the same.. what really sounded good is after i put on my min pipe
Old 01-08-12, 12:31 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what would sound better, change the midpipe and no resonator or no resonator and magnaflow mufflers
Old 03-17-13, 07:29 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone ever replaced the resonator (not delete) with a tanabe medalion axleback ? Its a little too monotone for me , looking for a way to slightly increase volume and tone instead of it just being a low rumble.
Old 03-17-13, 11:31 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Has anyone ever replaced the resonator (not delete) with a tanabe medalion axleback ? Its a little too monotone for me , looking for a way to slightly increase volume and tone instead of it just being a low rumble.
I have considered replacing it with a shorter resonator (borla S-type or magnaflow) but never had guts to be the guinea pig. I have the F-sport axle back
Old 03-18-13, 08:19 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

For the cost of having a muffler shop cut out your factory resonator and weld in a replacement, I would recommend you just go with the mid pipes instead. I did the resonator delete and hated it (well documented) and went with the Invidia mid pipes as an alternative. I got them for around $310 and installed them myself. That was about a year ago and I still love them. I have the same axle back, btw.
Old 03-20-13, 10:14 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
For the cost of having a muffler shop cut out your factory resonator and weld in a replacement, I would recommend you just go with the mid pipes instead. I did the resonator delete and hated it (well documented) and went with the Invidia mid pipes as an alternative. I got them for around $310 and installed them myself. That was about a year ago and I still love them. I have the same axle back, btw.
Thanks Slammer. I would love to go with mid pipes but unfortunately am AWD thus i dont think they would fit. If someone has figured out what needs to be modified, or a mid pipe that fits AWD, that would be great.
Old 03-20-13, 10:18 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

Old 03-20-13, 05:49 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Nick, how do you like it? Any first impressions?
Old 03-20-13, 06:00 PM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

Nick, how do you like it? Any first impressions?
well i have m2 exhaust & when i got the res deleted it was louder , pedel feel was quicker :-)
Old 03-21-13, 04:58 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NickawdIs
well i have m2 exhaust & when i got the res deleted it was louder , pedel feel was quicker :-)
No its not

You hear a sound difference but your butt dyno thinks the car may be quicker or changes the pedal response
Old 03-21-13, 08:39 AM
NickawdIs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256
No its not

You hear a sound difference but your butt dyno thinks the car may be quicker or changes the pedal response
yes the pedal was easier to step on
Old 03-25-13, 05:45 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
I wonder what would sound better, change the midpipe and no resonator or no resonator and magnaflow mufflers
No resonator and magnaflow mufflers... Trust me
Old 04-28-13, 08:37 PM
sy02
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine i removed the resonator and i have aero muffler welded. It's too loud and a little bit of vibration inside the car, now I'm planning to install a resonator, so it would not be too loud and vibration.
Old 08-17-13, 01:26 PM
bruins678
Rookie

I have an IS350 that had a stock exhaust with a JoeZ tube/F-sport intake. I tried replacing the stock resonator with this Magnaflow version just like Srd555 had done, and I heard no noticeable difference (or the difference was so slight it's barely noticeable and not worth the money). The stock exhaust completely kills any extra sound.

So with the Magnaflow resonator still on the car, I decided to get the Tanabe Medalion exhaust installed. Now that was a noticeable difference. It basically fills in the sound from around 1000 RPM to around 4,000 RPM when the F-sport intake takes over.

I decided to try to tone the car down by reinstalling the stock resonator, and I can tell you first hand that changing between the stock resonator and a Magnaflow resonator WHEN you have an aftermarket exhaust on IS noticeable, but its not night and day. It might be good for someone who wants a Tanabe-plus sound.

My preference is the Tanabe with stock resonator, just the perfect of amount of deep sound to fill in the lower RPM range until the F-sport intake kicks in...

Last edited by bruins678; 09-04-13 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: IS350 Resonator removal.