Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Header and torque converter install - advice and install

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 04:49 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Header and torque converter install - advice and install

I wasn't gonna go ape this year on car mods cause I was kickin' around getting a different car entirely. But after realizing how close I am to paying the rig off...we're keepin it. 'Figured if I could nab a mod or two this year I'd be happy.

Anyway, so I stumbled on a used but cracked set of S&S headers and have since had them TIG welded the CRAP out of my a machinist. Just gotta buff a couple areas they should be good!

THEN I came across a good deal on a Lextreme torque converter. Uh, DUDE.

Just bananas. Arguably the 1st and 2nd bang-for-your-buck mods, and picked up pretty cheap, I'm excited as H-E-double hockey stick to install the stuff!! But, since I'm Kenny-on-South-Park poor, I gotta install myself. Which is cool, cause I enjoy knowing I did something I didn't think I could, and I know "I"s were dotted and "T"s were crossed in the process.

So I'll take a few pics of the process, and hope to add to the pile of great feedback from these mods.

Any advice that can be offered is appreciated. "Don't get yourselves killed" is probably a given. I've been searching off and on, but in case I missed something, lemme think aloud and please chime in if I missed/forgot somthing.
  • Headers:
    • Ordering new manifold-to-block gaskets which I'll port-match to the headers.
    • Bolt torque specs?
    • IIRC extra bolts are needed for the headers...qty/size known?
  • Torque converter:
    • Will have a fair amount of Toyota tranny fluid on hand (not sure how much) and a 5-gal Homer bucket to catch the old stuff in.
    • Ordering a tranny gasket at the bell-housing ("rear main seal", right?).
    • Bolt torque specs?
    • I'll borrow a ratchet extension from work for the hidden tranny bolts.

Geez those smileys are fun...just look at 'em all.
Old 05-15-10, 04:59 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.
What stall speed? Do you plan on an A\F controller and a tune?
Old 05-15-10, 05:08 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to be dropping my transmission tomorrow to rebuild it. I'll TRY to do a DIY on removing the transmission and installing the TC. I'll post it up on my website. I better be getting some donations on my website this time around or I'm never renewing the site ever again lol. It costs me $60 or so to keep the website up every year!
Old 05-15-10, 06:25 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

GSJake: 2800 RPM...I think. I still have a day or two to change my mind. NEO or AFC2 and a tune is definitely down the pipe (I'm'a race Rock-a-Lex one of these days!! Haha!), but its the wife's turn next so I gotta hold off a bit. And you know WI -- wish me luck finding a dyno much less a shop that knows anything about the 1uz! When I find one, though...

Jeff: That would be MUCH appreciated. What's the web address? (edit: jefftsai.com) You get 'er done and I'll donate. For the record, though, $60 for you is like one of your gear cog sprag spring nubber thinges, so I don't feel bad.

Last edited by Frankdorn; 05-15-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 07:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Jeff: That would be MUCH appreciated. What's the web address? You get 'er done and I'll donate. For the record, though, $60 for you is like one of your gear cog sprag spring nubber thinges, so I don't feel bad.
Actually the sprag costs more than that lol. It's a custom built billet piece.

But...I did the website for the benefit of everyone else here. I don't really have any need to have a website for myself since it's all in my head already. That's $60 out of my pocket to benefit everyone else that I could of bought some food and drinks with
Old 05-15-10, 08:21 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff as in the PM count me in for some web site contributions.
Also while you have the tranny out.. can you do a VB DIY. I am still considering this even though every one says its way harsh.

Frank.. Yea you will not find one in WI. You will have to go to Chicago and then you have AMS and a few others. I will keep you posted as I have my Neo.. saving for a boomslang on here and then I will be going for a few base runs with just a Injen and some Borla's.
Old 05-15-10, 11:14 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SS headers, I think you need an extra hand just in case you get frustrated. Find someone with small hands. GL
Old 05-15-10, 12:58 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'm going to be dropping my transmission tomorrow to rebuild it. I'll TRY to do a DIY on removing the transmission and installing the TC. I'll post it up on my website. I better be getting some donations on my website this time around or I'm never renewing the site ever again lol. It costs me $60 or so to keep the website up every year!
Dropping the tranny on a GS3 vs GS4 are virtually the same correct?
Old 05-15-10, 01:19 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Sam430, I use impact guns and a really long extension to get to the transmission bolts on top. You don't really need small hands as you don't ever really have to reach all the way up in there.

Vwynn, yes pretty much the same. Only difference is that the 400/430 has two headers that you have to disconnect the exhaust pipe off of.
Old 05-15-10, 01:55 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

dam a job to difficult for me :|
Old 05-16-10, 12:58 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I assume I need to remove my center console/shifter **** too, right?
Old 05-17-10, 10:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff, I was talking about the headers I just put on my headers a couple of days ago and it took me 8 hours due to allergy and the cat not lining up properly (took me forever bending, pushing, and pulling until I can insert the bolt).

It's very easy to take on and off the OEM headers (granted you've already removed the heat shield).

The SS headers is just a tad more effort to install one bolt on the bottom driver side towards to the stearing wheel. Make sure to put that nut in first before you tighten things down.

If you can find someways to cut the heatshield, you job would be easy. But use wobble extensions to take it off easily. Also remove the side plastic cover for the sway bar so it's easier to manuever your tool to get the other bolts.

I took a peak at the top bolt of the transmission, it's not so bad. But everything is easier said than done.

The effort pays off... I forgotten how much I enjoyed the extra power from the headers, I could only imagine FI LOL. With just a touch on the pedal, the car was eager to go.
Old 05-18-10, 07:55 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds great Frank
Keep us updated and looking forward to the progress

GL