Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ebay Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 02:27 PM
Split
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ with the equipment that companies like AEM & INJEN have at their disposal, it really is a one day process. The majority of the time, they borrow someone's car for an afternoon and that's enough time for them to make an intake for it! Rather than building a system from scratch, why not start with an ebay intake and modify it? You could lengthen the pipe to have it collect air from somewhere colder, or you could easily fabricate your own heatshield around it..
Old 03-10-10, 02:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Split
^ with the equipment that companies like AEM & INJEN have at their disposal, it really is a one day process. The majority of the time, they borrow someone's car for an afternoon and that's enough time for them to make an intake for it! Rather than building a system from scratch, why not start with an ebay intake and modify it? You could lengthen the pipe to have it collect air from somewhere colder, or you could easily fabricate your own heatshield around it..
You're giving them way too much credit.
Old 03-10-10, 02:52 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
i'm not here to argue with you, but i feel you're giving these guys too much credit for their hot air intakes. these intakes are for the "sound" crowd. not the horsepower crowd.

"there IS something that goes into designing an intake other than just bending pipes, slapping a filter on it, and calling it a day." their name. that's it.

"btw, these are not products that require multi-million dollar ad/marketing campaigns" yes they do. that's why you consider these name brands.

none of these are carb exempt, so not much R&D.
completely understandable. it's a difference of your perspective and mine.

as i can't attest to having any behind-the-scenes knowledge, i'm just speaking from personal observation and a few things i picked up along the way, nothing more.

and yes, these SRI's are indeed for the "sound" crowd. that's why i have the joe z pipe.
Old 03-19-10, 05:49 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So is this intake from "Racing Guys" on Ebay legit? Fits and everything with no problems?
Old 03-19-10, 06:11 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another side note....these things are super cheap for a reason: mainly that the maf sensor port is hastily cobbled together. I've purchased and hacked up 3 different intakes that were all very similar in apperance. Only 1 of them works as intended without throwing a cel code.

All three intakes are the same length and diameter (meausured with digital calipers) but some of the maf ports have differences in the welds and dont allow proper seating, I think.

At first i thought it was because the aftermarket tubes were slightly larger causing the maf sensor to run past its allowed values for air. But no, the aftermarket pipes are SMALLER than the stock intake at the maf port. SMALLER!!!! only by .07 of an inch but still smaller. There is also absolutely no way air was slipping past the sensor anywhere else. I quintuple x2 checked it.

So...any cel you get will probably be a lean code caused by improper maf sensor seating, angle, or location on these cheaper intakes.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 03-19-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 06:19 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I was looking at this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...ht_3073wt_1138

Old 03-19-10, 06:24 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

my work firewall blocks ebay.

I think there are basically two types. One type has a widened bell like mouth into a larger diameter filter. I dont recall ever having problems with that one.

The others were just a straight 3 inch tube all the way.

It's really kinda luck of the draw IMO on how well the guy welded the maf sensor regardless of design.
Old 03-22-10, 08:48 AM
Split
Rookie

^ once i get this intake install i'll like you guys know. sorry for the long wait, but i'm still waiting for the snow to melt, and i'm really busy too. Probably wont get to it until May. And MrHarris, that's the exact one I got.
Old 04-03-10, 09:25 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I've realized that one of my intakes doesnt allow for a proper vacuum tube connection. It places it far too far back so that the hose doesnt fit JUST right causing a *slight* kink in the tube.

I kept getting these p0101 errors codes over and over and NOTHING seemed out of place. But I suppose when the engine pivots on its mount EVER so slighty, that *slight* kink becomes a BIG kink and enough of a problem to throw the code.

Since I've replaced the hose with a longer one from the auto store, I havent had any codes come back. Keep that in mind.
Old 04-25-10, 04:14 AM
integlspwr
Pole Position

Dyno of my eBay intake on my IS350.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eo-inside.html
Old 04-25-10, 05:31 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see how you could go wrong with this intake. It's $20. I can't see how wrong they could make it as it's really just a slightly curved pipe.
Old 04-25-10, 08:24 AM
Split
Rookie

that dyno was pretty useless without the baseline.. either way its probably a non measurable difference.