Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ebay Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 01:17 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no I'm pretty certain it does not match up correctly

If I'm not mistaken the initial pipe bend coming out of the throttle body places the rest of the tube FAR left of the stock intake opening.
Old 02-25-10, 01:58 PM
Split
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt it, most intakes look like this:

this one looks identical to the fujita pictured above, just the filter looked different and there was no fujita sticker.
mine came in a polished finish, but i used heat resistant black bbq paint to make it look like this:
http://www.lextasy.com/is-ram-intake.htm
Old 02-25-10, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Why would you guys put knock off parts on a 40k+ car's Engine?
It's honestly a matter of opinion. You can't deny this is a deal + it's only $20. If he doesn't like it, it's easily replaceable.

The exhaust that Maxx250awd just got for $0.99 + $65 shipping (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ally-pics.html) is just as good as an equally equivalent Tanabe Exhaust, due to the quality of the welds and finish.

If you can afford more expensive products more power to ya. I myself prefer name-brand products but that's just preference as it seems to be yours too.
Old 02-25-10, 04:04 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

$300 for an intake that just make sound that gain no HP and just a pipe with a name or $20 one that does the same just a pipe with filter that sound like a deal plus when you get sick of it you can just toss it and not worry about all that money you lost and trying to sell it to not even get half the price back.
Old 02-25-10, 04:33 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Damn i feel attacked lol. Was just a simple question and i got my answers lol. I agree With hoovey that exhaust was a deal. I saw the quality of it and heard it on youtube... Usually with ebay if it sounds to good to be true it is.... I dont have anything against knock off parts exterior wise, but engine wise, if its not built properly i wouldn't take a chance...Not saying that there arnt good quality parts out there on ebay. Thats just MY opinion though... Congrats on the intake bro none the less... post up some pics once installed.

Oh and to the name brand thingy...i guess its just self assurance. Company's put there name on the line when it comes to quality and i guess in the case small gains. If there products weren't working or caused harm, they wouldn't be big named company's today . But everybody has to start somewhere right?

Last edited by JoshIS408; 02-25-10 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 07:39 PM
Split
Rookie

^ i'd totally go for an ebay exhaust, except i'm trying to keep the exhaust on this car as quiet as possible. with the money i saved on this intake, i can afford a fujitsubo legalis r! now if there was an ebay replica that was just as quiet, i'd be all over there.
Old 03-08-10, 09:33 AM
1995Lexusc
Pole Position

Basically you guys are paying for import over sea parts where you think you getting a good product, but in my opinion you can manufacture the same intake or exhaust out of good metal for a fraction of the price. Material aint much to make these items. It's the labor and engineering you paying for really. As you guys case, your paying a overseas tariff fee. Most intake i seen is extruded aluminum because its light weight and dissapate heat faster. The only difference is the thickness of the material they use. Same with exhaust mild steel or titanium? Again price difference. Want it quieter? Get a different resonator, again depending on what kind of internal material they use to muffle the sound in the resonator. What it come down to is a NAME you paying for. I'm sure if you made a identical intake as the so called high end name brand and did a lab test, you would find identical performance.
Old 03-08-10, 12:27 PM
mikemoto81
Rookie

Originally Posted by Split
So this ebay vendor wanted to give me a partial refund of $20 for something, so instead i convinced them to send me this intake instead. (makes me wonder if their cost on it is around $20!) Anyway, seeing as it was free-ish, i figured why not..
I've installed intakes in most of my previous cars from INJEN, AEM, FUJITA, SRT, and K&N. This looks like its probably similar quality to Fujita and is probably just a knock-off of it.
Even the filter itself looks decent.. not quite the same as a Fujita, but a good knock-off of an apexi filter.
I also happened to have a can of black spray paint, so I figured i'm going to spray paint it black since I think chrome intake pipes look kinda cheesy.

Here's some pictures:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7...1002242115.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6...1002242115.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3...1002242115.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/624...1002242114.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6...1002242114.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/425...1002242114.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/g/img00055201002242114.jpg/
http://yfrog.com/0eimg00055201002242114jx

Once I get it installed i'll let you guys know how it performs. I'm expecting a nice growl, with no performance gains (or losses). I'm not overly worried about hot air since i'm in Canada and its snowing half the year!
Whats the ebay sellers name? Im interested.....you have any problems so far??
Old 03-09-10, 03:13 PM
Split
Rookie

Exclamation

^ the ebay seller is racing_guys2002 i think and i haven't installed this yet so I cant tell you if there's any problems.
Old 03-09-10, 03:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

has the thought that the price premium for a branded product is to recover the amount of money these branded companies have spent for research and development?

and that these no-name brands are simply copying (or stealing, depending on how you look at it) the design of these branded companies have invested R&D money and time into?

just a thought.
Old 03-10-10, 09:11 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
has the thought that the price premium for a branded product is to recover the amount of money these branded companies have spent for research and development?
i think the price premium is to recover all the advertising and fancy boxing. what R&D has gone into these pipes, anyway? they may make 5-6 horsepower. they all use the same filter. it's all about pretty pipes and people buying for the "growl".
Old 03-10-10, 10:04 AM
Split
Rookie

Talking

there's less than a days worth of work going into these intakes.. i know because whenever these companies borrow a car they have an intake created within a day. i imagine this is how the process goes:

1) remove factory airbox
2) look for a decent spot to put a cone air filter
3) bend a pipe, put a filter on it, and test it out
4) if no check engine light appears begin mass production
5) if buyers complain about a CEL appearing, attempt to solve by with minor adjustments like straightening or lengthening pipe etc.. then release "V2" or "GEN 2" and charge more money.
Old 03-10-10, 10:51 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

point taken.

maybe reality sits somewhere in between, but there's no doubt that there IS something that goes into designing an intake other than just bending pipes, slapping a filter on it, and calling it a day.

btw, these are not products that require multi-million dollar ad/marketing campaigns or fancy boxing. last time i checked, i can't recall an aftermarket product that didn't come in plain-jane, not-so-fancy corrugated paper boxes.
Old 03-10-10, 11:16 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
point taken.

maybe reality sits somewhere in between, but there's no doubt that there IS something that goes into designing an intake other than just bending pipes, slapping a filter on it, and calling it a day.

btw, these are not products that require multi-million dollar ad/marketing campaigns or fancy boxing. last time i checked, i can't recall an aftermarket product that didn't come in plain-jane, not-so-fancy corrugated paper boxes.
i'm not here to argue with you, but i feel you're giving these guys too much credit for their hot air intakes. these intakes are for the "sound" crowd. not the horsepower crowd.

"there IS something that goes into designing an intake other than just bending pipes, slapping a filter on it, and calling it a day." their name. that's it.

"btw, these are not products that require multi-million dollar ad/marketing campaigns" yes they do. that's why you consider these name brands.

none of these are carb exempt, so not much R&D.
Old 03-10-10, 12:51 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im getting first hand experience in this right now and I can tell you one thing:
To build a system from scratch (and build it well) isnt a one day thing. There's intake length, frontal area, maf sensor location, stock mounting points, heat shields, etc.

Granted my project is a part time thing, but its been months for me and im just now making a dent.

Quick Reply: Ebay Intake Review