Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best source for 3.76 LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 02:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Best source for 3.76 LSD

Where do you guys get them? There are a couple used ones on ebay in $800 range, is that what they go for? Is is possible to find them new, and how much do these go for?
Old 02-01-10, 06:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe that Carson Toyota/Lexus (L-tunedparts.com) sells them new for $1699. I got mine new from a CL member on here about 2 years ago for $1200/shipped and came with new rear axles. Look around and you may find a better deal. The unit you WANT is from a 93-95 Supra TT (automatic). This is the Torsen style 3.76 LSD that works best for the GS4XX. GL!
Old 02-01-10, 07:39 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, Rock, on a scale of 1-10, where would you put the diff upgrade? Say the torque converter is like a 9.

I always thought it was a HUGE upgrade, but then someone with a 3.76 told me "nah, don't bother".
Old 02-01-10, 11:55 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Hey, Rock, on a scale of 1-10, where would you put the diff upgrade? Say the torque converter is like a 9.

I always thought it was a HUGE upgrade, but then someone with a 3.76 told me "nah, don't bother".
It IS a huge upgrade ONLY IF you have a high stall torque converter as well! Or if you have forced induction (a lot more power). On anything less it will perhaps make your car slower (than stock) regarding various performance intervals such as 0-60 and 1/4 mile time; however regular driving acceleration will still be ALWAYS puinchier and quicker due to simply logics of the 3.76 ratio compared to the 3.23 ratio.

At certain performance intervals it may be slower due to the unit changing the shift speed points as compared to the stock 3.23 gearing.

IMHO the only and MAIN reason to get this is if you need more traction. Well, or if you do track courses...which I do NOT do.

I would rate this as an 8 only if more traction is needed. If it is needed and this is installed you will be happy on the straights...and the LSD also works great when powering around corners and tight curves.
Old 02-01-10, 01:27 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough -- thanks! I definitely think the LSD would be nice, but wasn't sure if the new gear ratio is worth the gas mileage drop...I've read it makes you a little slower to 60 because of one more gear change.

I think I'm going to look for just the LSD part. The low-end would be nice, but I'll get that from the torque converter.
Old 02-01-10, 08:27 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Fair enough -- thanks! I definitely think the LSD would be nice, but wasn't sure if the new gear ratio is worth the gas mileage drop...I've read it makes you a little slower to 60 because of one more gear change.

I think I'm going to look for just the LSD part. The low-end would be nice, but I'll get that from the torque converter.
...remember. It ONLY make the car slower if that is the only mod you have! Ex. a stock GS4XX will be faster (just to exactly 60mph) than a stock GS4XX with the addition of JUST the 3.76 LSD.

In race from 0-63mph the 3.76 LSD car will be faster because then the 3.23 car will have to shift to 3rd whereas the 3.76 will already be into 3rd).

Now, if BOTH cars are modded for power with intake/headers/exhaust/AF controller and a PI TC is added to car B then car B with the 3.76 gearing WILL be quicker than car A in this instance as well because more power will be put to the ground (traction) more effectively.

The addition of the LSD portion to the stock 3.23 gearing is GREAT only if you have a lot more power going into the car IMHO. A lot of FI guys like to keep the lower 3.23 gearing due to the fact that with all that power they don't want all of it off the line (more would be multiplied with the 3.76 gearing) as traction would then become a huge issue. Another added benefit of the stock 3.23 is that the top speed of 145+mph can still be attained.

For example. Let's say you had a 700whp supercharged vehicle with rather instant torque many would want 2.8X gearing to help with initial launching; it would help to sort of "buffer" all that power. On the flipside, if something such as 3.7X or 4.11 gearing was used in that application it would be near impossible for the car to hook up...EVER, especially off the line.

So for less powerful vehicles I think steeper (such as 3.76) gearing works better for all around drivability and performance. As more power is added one could/should go down in gearing. Think about this...a BONE STOCK IS350 utilizes 4.08 gearing and can achieve a 4.8 second 0-60mph time with just 306hp (crank)/250ish whp. This is what good gearing can do. The thing is, this gearing works so well for THIS particular car because it also has a 6 speed auto tranny whereas the older 2nd gen GS's only have a 5 speed auto tranny. The more speeds that a transmission can have the steeper the gearing can be without extreme MPG loss or top end loss. The IS-F is another GREAT example with an 8 speed auto tranny and pretty steep gearing for acceleration. the 7th and 8th speeds are strictly for fuel economy. That damn car can probably cruise at 2000rpms at 80mph in 8th gear while my car is at 3000rpms at 80mph in 5th gear; eating A LOT more gas. Just goes to show that technology is amazing...you can have the best of both worlds without any sacrifice...except for in the wallet. lol

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 02-01-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 09:49 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

note to the OP...the ONLY unit you can use is the supra tt auto LSD. you cannot use any other unit.
Old 02-02-10, 02:57 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the IS 300 LSD?
Old 02-02-10, 07:13 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...remember... (all data in between parsed for thread management) ...It ONLY make the car slower if sacrifice...except for in the wallet. lol

Rock thanks for clearing that up.. you answered alot of question's I had.
Old 02-02-10, 11:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...no problem man...that's what we are here for; to help others.
Old 02-05-10, 08:30 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

OK, another question for you Rock (or any other LSD gurus out there reading this)...

The Surpa (3.76) rear end is rare and expensive to say the least. But I want LSD and higher gearing... Well, the 2GS3's diff bolts up to the 400, doesn't it? And it runs a 3.92 I believe (a whopping 0.16 difference from the Supra)... Isn't there an LSD kit for the GS300's pumpkin? Wouldn't that be easier/cheaper to find?
Old 02-05-10, 10:41 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, another question for you Rock (or any other LSD gurus out there reading this)...

The Surpa (3.76) rear end is rare and expensive to say the least. But I want LSD and higher gearing... Well, the 2GS3's diff bolts up to the 400, doesn't it? And it runs a 3.92 I believe (a whopping 0.16 difference from the Supra)... Isn't there an LSD kit for the GS300's pumpkin? Wouldn't that be easier/cheaper to find?
If you want to retain the GS300 gear ratio, get an TRD LSD for an auto TT supra and swap the LSD in only but you retain the GS300 ring gear pinion. Of course, make sure to get all new seals and the back lash is in spec or else, premature wear.
Old 02-06-10, 02:20 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
If you want to retain the GS300 gear ratio, get an TRD LSD for an auto TT supra and swap the LSD in only but you retain the GS300 ring gear pinion. Of course, make sure to get all new seals and the back lash is in spec or else, premature wear.
Maybe its because I've worked all night and its 4am, but I have no idea what the hell you just said dude. Can you reexplain, but pretend I'm your kid? I.e., "Buy a GS300 pumpkin from a junkyard, buy Supra TRD LSD from ebay, take everything to a transmission shop and tell them to make the two pieces one big one."
Old 02-06-10, 05:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Frank,

Alexus 300 hit the nail on the head! There are a couple of LSD units sold out there...the three most common are:

1. the RMM 3.76 LSD (or otherwise known as the Supra TT LSD; they are BOTH exactly the same); complete pumpkin, direct bolt-on and ready to go ~ $1600 new

2. the TRD LSD; a drop in type LSD where you install it inside your existing pumpkin (differential) ~800 new but MUCH more labor is involved with this install

3. the Kaaz LSD; VERY similar to the TRD LSD as it too is a drop in type LSD ~$1000 new

Yes, you can buy an oem 3.92 open diff (from a GS300) and buy either the TRD LSD or Kaaz LSD; they both just drop right into that 3.92 pumpkin from what I understand; but verify when ordering of course. You RARELY see these drop-in type of LSD's used for sale on CL. So expect to pay the $800 no problem. For the 3.92 diff you could either source one from a junk yard and pick it up for perhaps ~250 or so. Or, you can try to find a person with a turbo'd GS300! %2

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 02-06-10 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 09:13 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Does the 3.76 lsd throw our speedo off? I just installed mine last night but have not had a chance to drive the car much.

Quick Reply: Best source for 3.76 LSD