Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

any thoughts on this complete turbo/wg/mani/downpipe kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 08:49 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default any thoughts on this complete turbo/wg/mani/downpipe kit?

I have seen the other obx products for the gs and the other no-name turbo kits for the gs that say the exaust/downpipe doesn't fit and the air output elbow has to be modified/welded to the compressor housing, not much of a "kit" at that point.

But this is the first one that actually shows a downpipe that has a dual output flange that will bolt straight up to the gs exhaust.

It also seams that the turbo is under the manifold instead of on top? Haven't seen that before..

I know of the mixed feelings of OBX quality, but just wondering if anyone has any input or more info on this particular setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-T...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by 99 GS3; 11-05-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 11:02 PM
racerman33
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo kit

did you ever buy it...
how about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 12-11-09, 12:14 AM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think it will work.. just by looking at it.. the wastegate sits too high. i don't think the hood will close..i'm boosting and i wish that i piece my turbo together.. i regret buying the kit from clubna-t.com..the only thing i used from that kit was the turbo manifold and the down pipe...the rest was junk
Old 12-13-09, 11:27 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by racerman33
did you ever buy it...
how about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
No I didn't buy it. I know the obx turbo itself crap. I was more interested in the Log style manifold design if that was any good and that the Downpipe actually fit the car.

From the reading I done since then it seems the the Logs and not as good as a Tube manifold. I want to run a electric dump cutout so building a custom downpipe is gonna be the way to go anyway..

All the other low cost kits are for the is300 or supra and claim to fit the gs300. Like the one you posted the link to, look at the single output downpipe, it won't fit the gs and it says it in the auction..

Old 12-13-09, 11:34 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tommyGS3
i dont think it will work.. just by looking at it.. the wastegate sits too high. i don't think the hood will close..i'm boosting and i wish that i piece my turbo together.. i regret buying the kit from clubna-t.com..the only thing i used from that kit was the turbo manifold and the down pipe...the rest was junk
That's what I'm seeing, piecing it together yourself based on all your various personal goals like desired power, pipe routing, looks, budget, ecu management, and who's gonna tune it offers to many variable for any single kit "cheap" kit..

I'm getting close to begining ordering parts but want do as much reading as possible first.

Luckily Jeff and others have provided so much info to CL I think I'm starting to have a pretty good scope of what's involved.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 12-13-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 08:55 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. From the previous post......That wastegate wouldnt be close to hitting the hood.

2. Log style manifolds were the original style when the Gs kits had first started coming out, the advantage to them is they were compact and cost considerably less than a tubular manifold at the time but they didn't perform as well. These days tubular manifolds have come down in price so they are generally the way everyone goes.

3. You can pretty much plan on welding an elbow to the compressor housing, it's the cleanest way to run the piping. You can get a 90 and connect it with couplers but it looks ugly.

4. I'm sure you have priced stuff out but rule of thumb I would plan on spending about $5k on a decent budget kit.