Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharger or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 06:33 PM
liljungnam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo lag, overheating problems, running off of engine oil.
S/C builds power gradually. turbo just spikes up power when it strats boosting.
I said S/C ir overall more realiable. not that it produces more power then a Turbo.
Old 04-24-02, 06:49 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well a Centrifugal SC werks in the same way the TURBO works... and unless you have a self contained SC it also runs off of engine oil..... Centr. chargers dont have instant boost and can lag a liittle,overheating problems well no if you know how to take care of the turbo or havea turbo timer,,
Old 04-24-02, 07:01 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you were going to list reliability problems of a turbo. Not one of it's characteristics. Of course there is lag in a turbo! That isn't a problem though, it's just one of it's traits. Also having that lag doesn't cause the turbo to wear out any sooner.

Also if there was such a big difference between the two, you would see a lot less turbo cars from the factory. I think that in all there are more stock turbos than superchargers out there (not including aftermarket).
Old 04-28-02, 09:18 PM
Grey_is300
Driver

I woudl say do some researchon turbos and Sc's. Big thing is having a tuner close helps. I personaly am for the SC's What happens when a turbo goes quits working just curious?? The big thing as I always said is the right tuner. If you can not tune your car then neither are worth it. Also look at cost, and keep in mind the different stageds are different per cmpany . A turbo company might have a $$ turbo but the stage 1 might put more hoarses out or the sam could go for a SC company less $$ and the same power out of a Stage 2 as to a stage 1 it really is the companies rating not a standard.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger or Turbo-is300h.jpg  
Old 04-29-02, 04:25 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

What happens when a turbo goes quits working just curious
why would a turbo quit working?....this comment makes no sense....
as for turbo reliability....why do all the factory cars from japan use turbos and not superchargers.....think about it....toyota...nissian...mitsu....they make more power from less displacment and are more reliable that american V8 n/a motors.....i have never seen any problem with turbo cars over heating...i drive my car in miami heat with 600hp and the A/C on and never had a overheating issue....and even better is that my car wasnt factory turbo charged and has nothing done to upgrade cooling......so overheating isnt a real issue
for lag....depending on the size turbo....you get little to no lag...and on a centrifigal charger you do get lag too...
for power comming on hard...a turbo power curve is more sudden than an s/c but nothing like a shot of nitrous.....the turbo cars power curve is sharp but builds up....its not that stressfull on a motor......not very different than an s/c...
and for running off engine oil....i like this fact......this way every time i change my engine oil i know my turbo is getting new engine oil also....instead of a self contained s/c that keeps the same oil for god knows how long.....that s/c spins very high RPM and id like to know it has fresh oil keeping it cool......on my turbo i know its got fresh mobil 1 keeping it nice and clean and cool....

as for power made...i havent seen a s/c on a is300 make more than 250 to the rear wheels......grey is...where are your dyno sheets?....i see you have a stage 3.....have you gotten to ride in a turbo is yet?...you should try it out....alot of people are scrapping there s/c and going to turbo......you should consider it too Jeff
Old 04-29-02, 07:53 AM
farajfad
Rookie

GreyIS300, I was wondering how much hp your car produces. I know Mo told me his stage 2 would produce 240rwhp for $7000 +. How much does Stage 3 produce? For that same price, I could get a Turbo, and make my car in the 300's.
Old 04-29-02, 07:57 AM
Grey_is300
Driver

SC I was just curious I had hear if a turbo goes the car will not run but wasnt sure. I woudl think it would just with very low horse power.

The stage 3 is at about 325 with out the fules system mods that get done for a stage 3.
Old 04-29-02, 06:18 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well if the turbo doese take a crap on you so to speak.. the car will still run jsut slower...I will let jeff discuss the rest of it...
Old 04-29-02, 06:48 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by EmoDragRacer
well if the turbo doese take a crap on you so to speak.. the car will still run jsut slower...I will let jeff discuss the rest of it...
When a turbo dies, it's kinda a slow death. It's not as though you flick a switch off. It will slowly wear out, and eventually stop working. It will of course be slower than an engine w/o ever having a turbo installed simply because the engine will have less drag. My friend that has a WRX knows that his turbo will give out around 100,000 miles. He is expecting it. You can always go back in and replace the worn out parts, which will breath new life into your engine again.