Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

newbie after advice and knowledge on 350 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 02:08 PM
jjj350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie after advice and knowledge on 350 tuning

I want to know everything

what can you get on these? are there many charger kits etc? what do you lot uses for ecu mapping? etc etc

I am all ears educate me
Old 03-13-09, 02:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj350

what can you get on these? are there many charger kits etc? what do you lot uses for ecu mapping? etc etc

I am all ears educate me
Pretty much? Nothing.

In the US at least there are 0 supercharger or turbocharger kits available.

The car has an 11.8:1 compression ratio so you'd destroy the engine with anything much above 5-6 lbs of boost anyway.

LMS made one for a while (5 lbs for boost for a $6000 kit) but they stopped because nobody would pay that much for that little.

If you're lucky enough to have a JDM (japanese) IS350 then you can buy TOMs supercharger kit, that costs $10,000 and adds 5.8 lbs of boost on 100 octane fuel.

There is NO aftermarket engine management available whatsoever.

A company called MHP claims they can reprogram the stock ECU, but AFAIK they've yet to actually do it on an IS350, and their normal price to do the ECU/TCU on a 350 would be $2800, and they think they might can get 15 horsepower out of that.

Nobody makes headers for the car either.

You can buy an intake, which will give you 5 horsepower tops. Joe Z is your best bet there, it's $109, so a mere $22 per hp.

For exhausts you have a ton of choices, all of them running $100 per hp and up (axle-backs which add 7 hp, or full exhausts which add 10-12 depending on if you remove or replace the cats... with pricing starting around $700 for axle backs and around $1000-1200 for the fulls).

Lighter wheels and tires are always helpful on any vehicle, but usually not cheap.

That's about it.

Oh, you can do nitrous. Jeremy has safely run both a 55 and a 65 shot. Do it wrong and new engine though.

If you bought a car to mod for speed you bought the wrong car.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 03-13-09, 03:15 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

^^^what he said nada!
Old 03-13-09, 04:18 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurtz, I am honestly amazed at how many times you will willingly post this information to people who ask the same question over and over without searching. Kudos to you for your patience, although it can also be a curse!
Old 03-14-09, 01:50 AM
jjj350
Driver School Candidate

well to be honest Ihavent bought the car, just looking at what option are there should I do that.

I did a bit of searching and found a 400ps blitz charger one, I guess that doesnt have standard internals.

Thanks for taking the time to post kurtz, shame there isnt more out there for it. but it does have a high compression ratio i guess.

Dam.

it you cant add much boost i guess the gains would be minimal? and figures on the LMS? surely they didnt use stock ecu?
Old 03-14-09, 12:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

well to be honest Ihavent bought the car, just looking at what option are there should I do that.

I did a bit of searching and found a 400ps blitz charger one, I guess that doesnt have standard internals.

Thanks for taking the time to post kurtz, shame there isnt more out there for it. but it does have a high compression ratio i guess.

Dam.

it you cant add much boost i guess the gains would be minimal? and figures on the LMS? surely they didnt use stock ecu?
They did use the stock ECU actually... 5 lbs of boost isn't much and the stock ECU can add enough fuel without any changes to handle it

Even the TOMs supercharger, which reflashed the japanese ECU, doesn't change a whole lot, since it only ups the boost to 5.8 lbs...

With ~12:8 CR you simply can't run much more than 5-6 lbs so there's little need or gain from changing the ECU really, or even add more fuel.

Now if you took the motor apart, had someone design custom low compression pistons, and various other things, you could probably run more than that... but you've still got a thin-sleeved aluminum block to work with... and you're going to spend more $ than it would've cost to just buy an IS-F with a full warranty.

The fact there's so little to gain from bolt-ons like intake and exhaust is, I think, a testament to how well Lexus engineered the car from the factory.

My last car was modded, massively... over 500 hp naturally aspirated... loud as hell, uselessly fast, terrible mileage.

The IS350 is still more than sufficiently quick, handles great (esp. with the F-sport sways) and has the nicest interior in its class IMHO... plus excellent mileage, fantastic resale, and unbeatable Lexus reliability... and I can hear passengers speak while driving too. It's a wonderful car and I don't regret for a second I own it... but as I say if you're specifically looking for something to drop a lot of performance mods into, it's not the right car for you.
Old 03-14-09, 10:13 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

get the is f mod....
Old 03-16-09, 07:15 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

The IS350 is truly a fast car already. I've driven one at the dealership and was very impressed. It felt faster than an ES350 even. I can understand people trying to mod the hell out of an IS250 because you can feel a "significant" difference in speed, but if you are still considering getting the Lexus IS, I recommend the upgrade to the IS-F or just leave it at the IS350 model if cost is an issue. The IS250 was designed for cost and maximizing fuel efficiency for people that are "gas" conscious like me, but don't mind the mild performance from it.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 03-16-09 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-16-09, 11:44 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
The IS350 is truly a fast car already. I've driven one at the dealership and was very impressed. It felt faster than an ES350 even.
lol........ its faster than a ES lol

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-16-09 at 12:48 PM. Reason: watch the language please
Old 03-18-09, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I am all ears educate me
Just get an IS-F
Old 03-18-09, 12:16 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS-F if you willing to spend that MOD $$$ on a 350
Old 03-18-09, 12:21 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Forget the tuning some how miraculously find a SC kit out there
Old 03-18-09, 12:34 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Forget the tuning some how miraculously find a SC kit out there
LOL funny guy! i wish there were more SC kits out there man! i wanna SC mine!
Old 03-18-09, 12:45 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I'm pretty sure it's going to be possible sooner or later
Old 03-18-09, 01:09 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I'm pretty sure it's going to be possible sooner or later
are you hinting at something?