Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 06:14 AM
mikefast2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
First of all I would suggest dumping the Apexi Neo. It's not a very good piggy back for this car. It works great on other cars, but just not on the GS.

1. Wiring diagram refer to my DIY website listed on the first post of this entire thread.

2. There is no golden number because every car will react slightly differently. I would suggest doing a linear increase. If you're on the factory fuel system then you want 7psi of boost to be around 30% fuel increase. Please verify with a wideband sensor that your air fuel mix is good before doing a extended pull.

3. With the Neo you will throw a CEL. I suggest you getting an AEM FIC or Greddy Emanage ultimate. Both of those units have a function called O2 skew. Basically it tricks the stock ecu into thinking all the readings are correct and you won't throw a CEL. The O2 skew function is for the primary O2 sensors before the cat. This is different than a O2 simulator. The O2 sim modifies the signal for the sensors after the catalytic converters. The use of a O2 sim is so you can remove the cats and prevent the CEL from showing up.

4. Every BOV is different. The way to adjust it really depends on how it's designed. I have a HKS SSQV on my car and it requires no adjustment at all. The Tial BOV you have to replace the bov spring to what your boost level is. There is a preload screw on most BOV's so you can dial it in to where you want. For yours you just have to adjust it until you get no more turbo flutter at low boost, and not so tight to where the bov doesn't vent correctly at high boost or leak out. It pretty much comes down to fine tuning it.

5. A turbo timer is nice, and I usually activate mine if I just had a spirited drive. If you run the car hard, it's not a good idea to shut it off right away because the oil will solidify in the turbo. Once you do that too many times the lubrication passages in the turbo get smaller and smaller and will eventually become completely clogged. Analogy: just like a heart attack, but oil is to a turbo oil like blood to is a heart.

Let it idle at least 2-3minutes to cool down right after a spirited drive. If you were driving extremely hard going ***** out to the wall then let it cool down for 5 minutes or so. Another trick is to just cruise granny style before you get to wherever you need to be. Typically I just cruise slow when I'm 1-2 miles away from where I need to be then I can just shut it off right after I park the car. Also, most aftermarket remote start alarms have turbo timer functions built in(I have the Autopage RS-1000 and it has that function). I usually still turbo time it for 30sec anyway just because it looks cool

6. The ECU in this car is highly adaptive and tries to adjust everything as close to perfect operating condition as possible. It's great because it is extremely good at doing it. The downside is that you don't want to be running factory tune under boost because it is WAY too lean and you will destroy the motor with the factory tune. What happens much of the time is that you will tune the car and everything will be peachy for about 50-100 miles. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere the tune will start going out of whack and you will have to retune it. That's why I suggested using the AEM FIC or Greddy emanage ultimate. They have the O2 skew function that tricks the factory ECU into thinking everything is working properly. That way the stock ecu won't keep fighting your tune. Without the O2 skew, you tune will keep getting messed up.

Anything critical...well it's an awesome learning experience. For me I've only been working on cars seriously for the past 2 years, and speaking humbly...I think I'm pretty decent at it now . For me, there was really nobody that could give a guiding or helping hand. I believe I was the first DIY NA-T pioneer here on CL. I pretty much had to figure out most of it by myself. I guess that's one of the reasons why I learned so much, because when you have nobody else to help you out...you have to learn and know everything and how it all works. Late nights of research and many nights spent in the garage is pretty much how I've spent most of the last year of my life. Don't even have money/time for a girlfriend lol

If anyone has questions, please read through this entire thread first. If you still don't find what you need to know, feel free to ask and I can be your guide.
thanks for the priceless info I hope I can pick your brain at some point before I dig in this project
Old 11-14-12, 08:00 PM
twoloose
Driver

JeffTsai I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. I wanted to see if you had any idea what could be causing my issues and how to fix them...

Hey bro I was wondering if you might be able to help me with an issue I've been having with my aristo swap. I know you've built some nasty gte GS's so figured I'd ask...My question is how can I eliminate the drive by wire on the aristo gte motor? I did an Aristo vvti swap to my 99 GS, running a 62mm turbo, all the bolt ons, AEM V2(honda box not supra, so it can't control the trans)..The AEM is controlling the motor and the aristo ECU is controlling the aristo 4spd trans. The problem has been that when I get on it the factory ecu is shutting down the throttle to 50% after the first shift and down to 30% after the 2nd shift.. Also I don't know if its normal for the aristo trans/ecu but when I get on it, right before the shift it cuts power to make the shift easier, I actually hear the blow off valve during each shift...I'd like to get it like the supra where power stays on through the gear and just shifts instantly you know...Anyways thanks bro for reading and any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 11-15-12, 02:31 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff will have the same question I did in your topic about this issue. Without knowing which inputs you have connected to the stock ecu, it'd be a crap shoot to guess how the ecu is responding.
Old 02-10-14, 05:22 PM
angelgs
Driver School Candidate

I have a 02 gs300 with 230,000 + am debating into either swaping to aristo or building it. I have search and I find Is the wiring would be challenging any input and advise would be appreciated I found places in florida I can get the swap for $1900 with driveshaft
Old 02-11-14, 11:53 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by angelgs
I have a 02 gs300 with 230,000 + am debating into either swaping to aristo or building it. I have search and I find Is the wiring would be challenging any input and advise would be appreciated I found places in florida I can get the swap for $1900 with driveshaft
the 1900 price is "okay" since you can get the swap for around $300-$400 cheaper if you search importers. Wiring isnt that bad with someone experienced with the swap. id budget around $4000 for a stock swap with maybe a front mount and fuel pump upgrade. old motor will need a "overhaul" with fresh seals, gaskets, water and oil pump, etc(same on the GTE). either way; its gonna cost a little bit
Old 02-17-14, 05:01 AM
angelgs
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info i did the fuel pump already in the car 255 walboro. So i got one less think on the list thank you.
Old 02-17-14, 07:00 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for bumping an old thread. Very useful info in here!
Old 07-03-15, 04:18 PM
Winh
Driver School Candidate

Is it too late to rebump an old, but very useful thread?

I have a jzs161 Aristo vertex

Im looking to put out atleast 450hp+
I have stock twins right now, with a FCD, their starting to go so its a great excuse to swap to a single turbo.
I don't really wish to go standalone as tuning is expensive in BC canada.
Is it possbile to reach my power goals and stay stock ecu, or maybe a reflash or something along the lines so i dont have to tune the ecu on a dyno?
If its doable what would it require?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-15, 08:35 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you wont get there with just a stock ecu. tuning is expensive everywhere
Old 01-24-17, 01:11 PM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have experience with ECUMasters DET3? Im looking to use it on my NA-T build.