Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone with a PI TC & 3.76 LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 11:42 AM
shawnberry
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn dude you dont even know what pi refers too? haha

is that really your lexus in your sig?
Old 04-29-08, 07:16 AM
TactiCOOL
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAHAH...yeah yeah....
Its my GS4 but honestly didnt know what it was. I just been trying to figure out what all is needed to run a 13 and seems like this is what im needing. What can i say, i was a HONDA dude for so long where all i was ever worried about was blowing up my **** with high boost hahahahaah

This is my 1st Automatic so i never really looked into go fast. I intended on just looks and such but that's all changed

Last edited by TactiCOOL; 04-29-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 07:22 AM
shawnberry
Pole Position

hahahha i know i was from the transam crowd..with ls1 motors that were easy to produce power with...

lexus is alot of fun to mod, the torque converter and lsd 3.76...just wakes these cars up so much its not even funny.
Old 04-29-08, 07:33 AM
TactiCOOL
Pole Position

Just got off the phone with Precision Industries. $750 for the Dragon but with my Military discount. Its only $650
Old 04-30-08, 02:15 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
my best 60' times came when I did NOT stall up against the convertor.

our local track is pretty well prepped but I sit on the line at idle....give it about 1/2 throttle at the last full yellow just until the rear suspension sets, then I go to full throttle. It's only about 1/3 - 1/2 of a second in the throttle change.
Sixty foot times are about 1.9x on my 245 Pirelli's.
Interesting.Thanks for the numbers very useful.I think my prob. is driver error.Im done stalling the car.Alot of my prob. is self control when that light turns green I wanna go and end up roastin them off.I also feel like the track isnt prepped that well I feel like I have better trac on the street.Thats a pretty nice 60ft and 1/4. I run 275 Nitto rear and my best 60ft was 2.2. I know she can run a 13 I just need to work on my launch a little. BA do you have gears in your car?
Old 05-05-08, 09:18 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I am also currently in the market for a PI TC.

I think I have it all jotted down.

For the Tranny flush use Amsoil ATF

Tranny Cooler

Bring your rear tires to 36-38 PSI.

Leave your full spare in your trunk if you previously removed it.

Find something else that you can throw back there (maybe another 30-40lbs worth)

Check to make sure your Nittos are still good...they may be more bald than you think.

I have 275 Nitto in the Rear. They are at 90%...so they are pretty new.

My question is this. How will this change my engine in terms of what do I need to be careful for? My check engine light? I think I have it down for the Gas pedal on not to punch it directly off the line but ease it in to the PUNCH. Can someone sum this up for me. I tried my best to get down everything. One more thing how can the seller tell me what stall speed there TC is or do I set it at a stall speed. Where can a cooler be found and how much will that cost?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-08, 10:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nanotech
I am also currently in the market for a PI TC.

I think I have it all jotted down.

For the Tranny flush use Amsoil ATF

Tranny Cooler

Bring your rear tires to 36-38 PSI.

Leave your full spare in your trunk if you previously removed it.

Find something else that you can throw back there (maybe another 30-40lbs worth)

Check to make sure your Nittos are still good...they may be more bald than you think.

I have 275 Nitto in the Rear. They are at 90%...so they are pretty new.

My question is this. How will this change my engine in terms of what do I need to be careful for? My check engine light? I think I have it down for the Gas pedal on not to punch it directly off the line but ease it in to the PUNCH. Can someone sum this up for me. I tried my best to get down everything. One more thing how can the seller tell me what stall speed there TC is or do I set it at a stall speed. Where can a cooler be found and how much will that cost?

Thanks!
If you have a GS430 there is a 50% chance you "might" get a CEL. If you have a GS400 there is only a 5% (or less) chance that it "might" throw a CEL. I think there is ONLY 1 CL member that I have read about that has a GS400 and got a CEL from this mod...everyone else including myself was cool. The stall speed is pre-set by the manufacturer from the original purchasers request; however, it can be adjusted after the fact by the second owner by the manufacturer or a reputable tranny shop at a later time. The tranny cooler can be purchased from any on-line vendor. The most common used is a B&M supercooler (I forgot the model #) but it's around $60 or so. This is definitely needed for the PI TC mod otherwise it could possibly burn up your tranny. GL!
Old 05-05-08, 11:02 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
If you have a GS430 there is a 50% chance you "might" get a CEL. If you have a GS400 there is only a 5% (or less) chance that it "might" throw a CEL. I think there is ONLY 1 CL member that I have read about that has a GS400 and got a CEL from this mod...everyone else including myself was cool. The stall speed is pre-set by the manufacturer from the original purchasers request; however, it can be adjusted after the fact by the second owner by the manufacturer or a reputable tranny shop at a later time. The tranny cooler can be purchased from any on-line vendor. The most common used is a B&M supercooler (I forgot the model #) but it's around $60 or so. This is definitely needed for the PI TC mod otherwise it could possibly burn up your tranny. GL!
Thanks!
So how does the stall affect my car? Wouldn't the stall speed be good that was set by the original owner or should it be different for each car? I still am a little anxious to learn about that. I have searched and searched and still don't understand about the stall speeds. I mean it doesn't make too much difference does it? It might. Can someone shine some light on this matter..
Old 05-06-08, 06:52 AM
papachulo
Driver

Originally Posted by nanotech
Thanks!
So how does the stall affect my car? Wouldn't the stall speed be good that was set by the original owner or should it be different for each car? I still am a little anxious to learn about that. I have searched and searched and still don't understand about the stall speeds. I mean it doesn't make too much difference does it? It might. Can someone shine some light on this matter..
I'm a newb at this stuff too, but I just had a TC installed in my car.. this is the best way I can describe what it does...

Whenever you put a load on the engine (giving it a little gas) the tranny won't start to fully "catch" until it hits the stall speed. I got a 2600 stall speed on my TC. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in.. almost anytime I push the throttle down more than enough to just coast, the engine will rev up to the stall speed before the power is transfered to the wheels.

The most typical stall speed people choose to get on GS4's is 2800 from what I've seen. I wen't with 2600 because I'm a bit timid when it comes to running my car hard, but with my 3.76 gearing, it was plenty for me. I can light up my tires with no effort off the line so I'm happy i went with 2600 and nothing higher. With stock gearing I probably would have been happier with 2800.

Other than the awesome off the line performance of the TC... the other thing I love about it is having a little more control over the power you put to the wheels while moving. With the stock TC, I would always hate being stuck in a higher gear and wanting just a liiiittle bit more power, but then when I would give it just a little more gas, it would drop gears and give WAY too much power making me lose traction. With the higher stall TC, you have much more freedom in the amount of power you put to the wheels, instead of the stock "All or nothing" feel.

The only downside ... Gas mileage.
Old 05-09-08, 02:56 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I got the PI TC from a fellow member and it is 2800 stall speed. Now my question is this...How much Amsoil Transmission fluid will I need to get this job done. My mechanic said to bring all the parts and things Ill need and he'll do the installation. So I need to know how many quarts or gallons Ill need for the job to get done.

Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid : (1) quart bottle..........$9.55

Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid : (1) gallon bottle.........$37.10

Hayden #1677 Cooler.......$46.76

I think this is all I need so far. Can you guys tell me if anything else is needed.

Thanks,

Wassim
Old 05-09-08, 03:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Bring about 8 quarts. The TQ itself holds around 6 quarts. Can't hurt to have extra.
Old 05-10-08, 11:16 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

I would also have him change out your seals....front pump, rear main......and I think there is one or two more! might as well since you're already in there!
Old 05-10-08, 02:29 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
I would also have him change out your seals....front pump, rear main......and I think there is one or two more! might as well since you're already in there!
Great point! Do you know where these things are located. And where will I be able to purchase all those parts from? Local Autozone or ? Another question what all should I get him to change out considering I have a 98 GS400 with 150K miles now.
Old 05-12-08, 11:47 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

If I have a 98 GS400 and with about 150K miles will there be any transmission trouble if I installed a PI TC? My mechanic is saying that since the transmission is so old it might messup in about 6 months time....I wanna know more about that. Can anyone shine some light over this issue.
Old 05-12-08, 12:38 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't think it would make your trans go out! Now a valve body upgrade might! If it's in your mind just make sure to budget that in later on. I wouldn't see a stock trans lasting that much longer anyway! Especially if your doing performance mods! Peter Ferell Super Cars will rebuild it to race specs for about $1500(really cheap!) plus shipping and R&R you should be around $2K! Ask your trans guy. He should know exactly which seals to swap out. I would order them from the DEALER ONLY!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a PI TC & 3.76 LSD???