Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake with KN Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 02:07 PM
shawnberry
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Intake with KN Filter

Ive looked thru countless post looking to see if anyone has changed the AFE filter to a KN Filter...has anyone every done it? I have a GS430

thanks!
Old 03-12-08, 04:20 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I had this same question. I bought the recharger kit for my SRT, but it looks bad. So I was wondering what if I got a K&N from eBay instead.

Anyone ever try this or have insight as if this would be bad/good to the engine?
Old 03-12-08, 04:40 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to be an Internet ***** but....Search is your friend

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...SRT+Air+Filter

I was looking for the same thing too a while back, but instead I just went with the AEM Dryflow Filter
Old 03-12-08, 05:01 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Darn internet ******. always telling people where to go look for usefull information.
Old 03-12-08, 05:03 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Just Special Ordered the K&N RU-2990 from pep boys today. total cost was like 39 bucks
Old 03-12-08, 06:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys please stay away from the K&N filter. You're just sucking in gobs of dirt with that thing. It doesn't do JACK for filtration. Get an AEM dryflow iff you want better filtration and not have all that dirt go into the motor.
Old 03-12-08, 07:48 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Guys please stay away from the K&N filter. You're just sucking in gobs of dirt with that thing. It doesn't do JACK for filtration. Get an AEM dryflow iff you want better filtration and not have all that dirt go into the motor.

Werd up on that one, that is why I went for the AEM instead of the K&N Filter and AFE replacement filter, got tired of having to clean the Throttle Body so much
Old 03-12-08, 10:31 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to change the subject but I just bought the HKS drop in filter for the stock unit, how well does/will this product work? Any owners of this, or knowledge would be great. The reason I ask is because i always thought K&N made superior products and aparently others think other wise. My friend has an SC300 and he got the K&N drop in filter for his stock unit and it seems to work just fine? Any response to these claims of dirt on the t.b.? Why/how did it get there? Thanks
Old 03-13-08, 01:53 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

A K&N works so well because it does not filter as well lol. Yes contradicting but its true, heres why. The stock filter filters quite nicely but to do so, it requires the filtering media to be packed more densly so the little dust particles will be caught. The K&N works so well performance wise because its literally full of holes. I mean, a silk sock will probably trap more dirt than the K&N lol. Basically the K&N is just preventing the big stuff such as leaves and bugs from entering the engine, but the dust that can cause scratches on the cylinder walls and gunk buildup in the intake passes thru the K&N. So the question is are you willing to let your engine ingest more dust and dirt for the measly 2-3hp gain?

Hold the K&N filter up to a light and look thru it from one side to the other or inside to out. You will literally see specks and little holes all over the filter. Now do that with a factory filter and there will be zero holes. That's why I recommend the AEM Dryflow filter. It's packed pretty much as dense as a factory filter....BUUUT it's washable and requires no oil

The way around the restriction is to get a bigger filter. This only applies if you have an aftermarket intake. Stock intake box cannot fit a bigger filter. If you have a stock intake then I suggest you stick with a stock factory filter. If you have an aftermarket intake...lets say a K&N 4" tall filter will flow a good amount of air. Putting a similarly sized AEM filter will probably cause a 10% restriction in flow. Solution: get a 4.5" tall filter and problem is solved

Last edited by JeffTsai; 03-13-08 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 05:08 AM
shawnberry
Pole Position

whats wrong with AFE's dry filter? I recieved that with my intake from SRT.

Anyone have a part number? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-13-08, 04:56 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shawnberry
whats wrong with AFE's dry filter? I recieved that with my intake from SRT.

Anyone have a part number? Thanks for your help!
Dunno, my SRT Filter has the old re-oil filter, it was time to get it changed out, I searched to see if anyone has changed it out with a no need to re-oil dry filter and found that the AEM one was recommended
Old 03-16-08, 02:29 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Any info on the HKS filter?
Old 03-16-08, 08:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
Any info on the HKS filter?
Don't use it....lol
It doesn't trap dirt very well at all. I'd almost wager to say it's even worse than the K&N. It does perform well though since it's basically just a sponge filter that lets in a lot of whatever

The AFE dry filter is also a viable option. If I'd have to wager...I bet the AEM dryflow is made by AFE but just rebranded with an AEM label. AFE is a filter manufacturer, I don't think AEM actually manufactures those filters themselves.
Old 04-01-08, 08:45 PM
stayblaze
Driver

I love the search feature LOL