Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 VVTi cam upgrade .....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 12:59 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 VVTi cam upgrade .....

this has been an on going obsession for me to get more power out of my IS300 w/ out going forced induction, and recently i got a set of cams to finally play w/ .... i am figured there might be a few GS owners out there that felt the same way and didn't want to be too stingy about this ..... here are my results: as copied from the my.IS site ....
okay guys here we go:

http://transonicracinginnovations.co...ms/ISdyno3.jpg full tune vs full tune cams are the only change

http://transonicracinginnovations.co...ms/ISdyno4.jpg

&

http://transonicracinginnovations.co...ms/ISdyno5.jpg

i played around a did a few 1/4 mile runs on the dyno ... that was the best of them. A few more runs i could get the shift point and launch point down better, and i'm sure at a good track i could launch quite a bit higher than i could on the dyno.

http://transonicracinginnovations.co...ms/ISdyno6.jpg last one for the day ... i did a VVTi vs no VVTi for everyone to see why i am so set on wanting to keep it rather than ditch it like some others have suggested.

Driving impressions have left me very happy w/ the set up, still streetable, w/ out being loud or loosing any power down low, which on a daily driver is pretty important to me. The weather conditions are about 99% similar between the base and test pulls, no other changes were made to the car, other than an oil change to get rid of anything that may have come off the cams. So the gains you see are 100% honest gains, this comparison is done w/ full load on the car, unlike the one i posted from yesterday. the dip i'm still not sure what is causing it, it's not an A/F thing, and doesn't appear to be an ignition timing thing either. I'll have to do some more playing when i get more time.

As far as me selling off the megan header and changing out to the Mazzuri, its not a matter of money or anything like that ... i have never wanted my IS to be loud, which is why i still have the primary cat in, and have chosen most of the mods i have. I will admit that the cams have made it louder and actually made it sound meaner, which i don't mind, but having a car loud enough to get pulled over because of is something i don't want out of this car, it is after all daily transportation. As i offered in an above post, if anyone wants to loan me the Mazzuri set up, i will dyno it, or if someone w/ the Mazzuri wants to purchase the cams, then i will do a before and after dyno for them, assuming everything works out where they have supporting mods.

Since most of the people on this site don't know me or my car......

2002 IS300
manual trans
Joe Z style intake stock filter
Megan header
stock Y
Tanabe cat back
phenolic intake spacers
and the emanage ultimate
Old 07-14-07, 01:47 PM
tuninghaus
Lead Lap

great post! congrats

what kind of cam (single?) are you running? i wanted to run cams on my NON VVTi head

i've had 264 jun cams in my supra before and that woke it up probably gained me 30+whp over all and the top end feel was definitely felt
Old 07-14-07, 10:06 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

they are LMS prototypes, and it is a PAIR of cams VVTi and all my only complaint is i wish i could go more but i like the stockish idle and drive ability. Hate to say it, but it makes me miss VTEC lol
Old 07-15-07, 04:35 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happen to have the specs on these things?
JPI
Old 07-17-07, 09:15 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

hows it going brandon, looks like your getting settled if your actually working on your car.

glad to see someone is getting some good use out of something from my car, since i'm not...
Old 07-19-07, 09:30 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

Originally Posted by Supraownzu
hows it going brandon, looks like your getting settled if your actually working on your car.

glad to see someone is getting some good use out of something from my car, since i'm not...

lol yep they are indeed your old cams .... your beast still isn't coming around? hopefully there isn't any new issues since last time we talked. as far as me being settled and working on my own car ... well sort of
Old 07-19-07, 09:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
this has been an on going obsession for me to get more power out of my IS300 w/ out going forced induction.
have you thought about a stroker kit i know they have them for the GTEs, not sure about the GEs or if they are the same. however; i bet that will bring out some power out of that GE block for an all motor set up.
Old 07-19-07, 10:10 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

The GTE kit would work, just have to make sure you get higher compression pistons to work w/ the all motor set up.

I have mixed feelings about the stroker kits though. while i like the added displacement, i am a bigger fan of a high revving motor, than a torque monster. the IS (what i actually have) suck for drag racing because of the suspension design, more power out of the hole probably wouldn't be the best direction, i would rather have the power towards the top of the power band. That and about 90% of the "racing" or whatever you want to call it that happens on the street playing around, is from a roll.

The other thing about opening up the bottom end is that i would like to have a final cam decision made by then as well, that way the cam overlap and compression numbers can work together.

I have a few more things i want to do, and then i am going to leave it alone until i'm ready to swap in one of them v8 things ... at least thats this weeks plan who knows in a week from now.
Old 07-26-07, 09:31 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

car is coming along, though ive been so busy i havent been putting much effort into it. engine is together, just bolting a couple things on to it and then slapping it in the car. not really much left to do, i just gotta get moving on it. i should have it done and out at the next import face off event, trying to regain my title
Old 07-27-07, 08:26 AM
fstrnldr
Driver

you must be having too much fun w/ the civic to think about that silly Lexus project huh?
Old 07-27-07, 04:16 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

essentially. should have it done in a week or two totally though.
Old 08-07-07, 10:24 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstrnldr
they are LMS prototypes, and it is a PAIR of cams VVTi and all my only complaint is i wish i could go more but i like the stockish idle and drive ability. Hate to say it, but it makes me miss VTEC lol
Wow I thought vvt-i could only run the exhaust cam gear. Any word if these prototypes are going into production?
Old 08-15-07, 08:45 AM
Donuts
Rookie

Amazing.. ! cams on a vvti.... ! i have on heard of one cam kit for the vvti well talking abou the 2jzgte vvti... which is the HKS Vcam kit.. or somthing like this.. !

i own a toyta ARISTO .. single Tubro.. auto transmission !.. i want to know which cam did you use?.. i am very intrested cuz of the vvti issue !

Thanks ! and Appreciated !