Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Here's an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 09:22 PM
is250awdnj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Here's an idea..

can we please get into more performance mods besides intake and exaust. We need to break free of the usual bolt on parts. But even though we have the intake and exaust part covered no one talks about headers, ECU (piggy-back systems), intake manifolds, ect. I think we should defiantely start searching and finding these things because everytime i look at the performance part of the 2is forum i see intake and exaust. It's boring the hell out of me!!

Thanks for reading my thoughts!
I don't mean to be rude!

is250awdnj
dirtyjerzey
Old 06-25-07, 07:44 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont think any of us are not searching hard for more aftermarket parts. Performance parts are pretty rare. A few superchargers are out, the IS250 has headers, but nothing like a turbo kit or cams/pistons etc etc. Given enough time some one at a R/D will develop something.
Old 06-25-07, 10:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be rude, but why would an IS250 AWD owner really care about such mods?

Secondly, there isn't much talk about them because few have been developed. If you look through the old threads, you'll see many posts asking for "better" mods, but they don't ever go anywhere (for good reason).
Old 06-25-07, 03:23 PM
is250awdnj
Driver

[QUOTE=Gernby;2719975]Not trying to be rude, but why would an IS250 AWD owner really care about such mods?QUOTE]

see, its this kind of bull that i hate hearing. Just because it's not a 350 doesn't mean its not worth modding. So don't even try that one. All people have in Northern Jersey / New York is usually an AWD, so you going to tell me that it is a waste of time modding a 250 becuase of hp differential?
Old 06-25-07, 03:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

No, not because of the differential. Because you bought the heaviest possible configuration with the smallest and least powerful engine. You value driving all four wheels over the 100 hp and 150 lb advantage of the IS350, so it would seem power is not your first priority.

Add to this there are any number of other choices that cost less, have four wheel drive, make LOTS more power, AND are much more easily modified, and you have the reasoning for why it's hard to take adding power to an AWD IS250 seriously.
Old 06-25-07, 03:40 PM
ndawood
Driver School Candidate

If there were more after market parts to talk about im sure they would be discussed.. but the options right now are pretty limited....

If you want to mod an AWD car the 250 is obviously not the way to go. Get a wrx.. Im sure you will have a lot more fun with that..
Old 06-25-07, 03:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is250awdnj
see, its this kind of bull that i hate hearing. Just because it's not a 350 doesn't mean its not worth modding. So don't even try that one. All people have in Northern Jersey / New York is usually an AWD, so you going to tell me that it is a waste of time modding a 250 becuase of hp differential?
Lobux said it well...

Actually, if you are really serious about it, the best mod IMO for you would be a 250 / 350 engine swap. Your tranny may not last, but the same would be true no matter how you achieve the power you are looking for. It would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution that will ever be available to you.

Last edited by Gernby; 06-25-07 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 03:48 PM
ndawood
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Gernby;2720981]
Originally Posted by is250awdnj

Lobux said it well...

Actually, if you are really serious about it, the best mod IMO for you would be a 250 / 350 engine swap. Your tranny may not last, but the same would be true no matter how you achieve the power you are looking for. It would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution that will ever be available to you.
At what it would cost to buy the motor and do the swap you might as well trade in for a 350.
Old 06-25-07, 04:41 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont mark my words but isnt a new engine like 12,000-15,000.... I wish we had more mods that were reasonable priced not 10,000 SC ( haha)
Soon though they will come
Old 06-25-07, 04:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The IS-F is going to put a damper on any development of the 4GR-FSE and 2GR-FSE. It will still happen, but with a 432 hp option for less money than modding your current car and losing the factory warranty, these platforms aren't likely to be at the front of the modification list.

Just like what I'm saying today - if you really wanted power, you bought the wrong car. I'll be saying the same thing to IS350 owners as soon as the IS-F is released. I learned a very long time ago (while road racing motorcycles) there is no reason to buy the class underdog and try to make it fast. You are forever playing catch up while the guys on the class leaders are doing the same stuff you are and beating you every week. Buy the fastest thing in the class, THEN spend your time and money modifying it to go faster. At least you stand a reasonable chance of winning at some point.
Old 06-25-07, 05:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Katin2
Dont mark my words but isnt a new engine like 12,000-15,000.... I wish we had more mods that were reasonable priced not 10,000 SC ( haha)
Soon though they will come
It wouldn't be reasonable to buy "new" components for an engine swap. It would make much more sense to look for a salvage motor from a wrecked 350.
Old 06-25-07, 05:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If the IS-F is a cheaper option than modding, then I guess I need to start following the news better. I thought it was projected to be a $20K upgrade...
Old 06-25-07, 05:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoa, wait a min. everything here is 250 talk, lemme put in a word for us 350 owners.

I totally agree with the OP. First lets look at the mods, filter/intake tube... uh huh, this does not address a larger MAF(MAS) calibrated for stock/or bigger injectors nor a bigger throttle body. Without those were not even doing a 'full intake' mod. Exhaust for the 350? catback exhaust only? Thats not even close to a 'full exhaust' mod. Im not even gonna bother doing any of these mods till 'full' systems come out, whats the point, its all about removing the bottlenecks. I understand our cars are new, i understand if i wanted a true 'sport' car i shouldnt have bought a Lexus, i also understand a MAF/tb/headders/xpipe may never appear for our cars....

err... what is the point im trying to make... umm... I do hope someone does make these parts in the future thou
Old 06-25-07, 06:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gernby
If the IS-F is a cheaper option than modding, then I guess I need to start following the news better. I thought it was projected to be a $20K upgrade...
How much do you expect to spend on getting an additional 126 hp from the 2GR-FSE while scrapping your engine and drivetrain warranty? That's a 41% torque increase on an NA engine unless you've figured out a way to raise the redline. I have no doubt the internals are rugged enough, but I seriously doubt the transmission will be happy with this, and to top it all off, you'll still have a 142 mph top speed unless you replace the OEM ECM with a standalone. You're not going to do all of this for less than $20k with any reliability at all.

IS-F - factory warranty, 432 hp with drivetrain designed to take the abuse.

IS350 modded to 432 hp. No warranty on engine or drivetrain, 41% torque increase, must have standalone engine management or must crack Toyco ECM encryption or must live with IS-F flying by past 142 mph.

Sorry, the IS-F is cheap compared to modding the IS350 to perform like an IS-F. This has been true with many cars for many years.
Old 06-25-07, 08:56 PM
fstrnldr
Driver

The parts are coming out, but you need to look in the right places. (and call the companies or email them w/ ideas, not just post about it on a forum)

If you are looking at the larger companies to release parts for the Lexus line up, its not going to be anytime soon, they will always concentrate on the more performance oriented platforms first.

Quick Reply: Here's an idea..