Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

0 to 60 for IS250: Automatic vs Paddle Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 06:48 PM
CWIS250AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0 to 60 for IS250: Automatic vs Paddle Shift

I did a bit of searching and cannot find anything on this.

The 0 to 60 mark is listed as 8.X seconds for the IS250 AWD. If the Paddle shifter is supposed to simulate as close as possible, a real manual, then is the 0 to 60 time different if you use the paddles vs just the auto in the AWD?

Has anyone tried to test this ou or have info on this one?
Old 05-31-07, 11:51 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

you ever tried the paddle shift on our car?... i mean that thing cant shift for crap if your life were to depend on it..
Old 06-01-07, 02:21 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just put on the power ect and let it shift for you
Old 06-01-07, 09:12 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The "Manual Shifting" is marketing BS. It is worthless!
Old 06-01-07, 10:50 AM
mort
Lead Lap

All the best times for both the 250 and 350 are with the auto shifting for you. Pretty much use the S mode for downshifting and braking.
Old 06-01-07, 11:57 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sm0k3Diss
you ever tried the paddle shift on our car?... i mean that thing cant shift for crap if your life were to depend on it..
apparently we just have no clue how to use it.
Old 06-01-07, 08:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Maybe. I have my doubts about that. I really haven't seen any difference between the standard program, power, snow, and manual if I hold the accelerator to the floor (except the manual does ask you to upshift after 4th if you haven't downshifted to a lower range...)
Old 06-06-07, 09:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The power ect settings will change the shift points (up-shifts at different RPMs & down-shift at different throttle positions) when NOT at wide open throttle (WOT), Normal mode will up/down shift at RPMs that will provide a balance of smooth shifting and economy/power. Snow mode will up-shift sooner (lower RPM) and will not down-shift at the same RPM as in Normal or Power mode. In the Power mode the trans will up-shift later in the RPM range and down-shift with less throttle. When at WOT it will up-shift the same in all modes.

The paddle/S mode shifting is good for keeping the trans in a lower gear to provide quick power (don’t have to wait for the trans to down-shift) or to help shed some speed (engine braking). The S-mode will NOT control up-shifting, only throttle position will. The more throttle the later the up-shift. This is why some people think there is something wrong with paddle up-shifting. I use the paddles for down-shifting, to help shed some speed when I need to stop ASAP. I also use the paddles when I’m anticipating passing or the need to accelerate (like exiting out of a turn). For the fastest and most precise up-shifting possible use D-mode at WOT. It doesn’t matter which ect setting is selected. I use the Normal or Power ect settings with the trans in the D-mode to drag race. I use the Power setting with the paddles to road race. I keep the trans in the lowest gear that provides the best fast power (best RPM range) and as soon as I can WOT, I manually (paddles or stick) up-shift to 5th gear (5th gear will provide top speed (bounce the speed limiter), no need to use 6th). This will provide the best possible up-shift and you can concentrate on driving. At any point you can manually down-shift to keep it in the power band or shed some speed.

Koz
Old 06-06-07, 06:04 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better yet, why buy a lexus if you are interested in a "performance oriented" car? They are not meant to be, so why try to make it one. Hell I hate when I see all these people trying to make their lexus's wanna be sports cars. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche.
Old 06-06-07, 09:34 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

the only thing that "manumatic" crap is good for is holding a gear......
Old 06-06-07, 10:12 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it lets you hold a gear then you are right. I have not taken delivery of my car so I have not tested it out yet, so I don't know. Some cars shift for you even in Tip mode.
Old 06-07-07, 04:57 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Better yet, why buy a lexus if you are interested in a "performance oriented" car? They are not meant to be, so why try to make it one. Hell I hate when I see all these people trying to make their lexus's wanna be sports cars. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche.
My first car (at 17) had dual quad 427 (Ford) with over 450hp. I also had the fastest motorcycle made, at the time (Z1). Today I have 200 mph motorcycle. I've been racing (track and street) for over 30 years. I think, I can consider myself a person that can judge what a true performance oriented car is. I find the IS the perfect balance of luxury and performance (yes, performance). I have test driven every car in its class and I can honestly say that the IS350 can hang (and spank) with ANY one of the competitor, especially on the street. Yes, it is more luxury then sport but it can still hang. There is a reason why the IS is the MOST customer satisfying car, two years running. What I hate is when people compare apples and oranges. Comparing a Porsche to Lexus, please! If I wanted a pure performance car it certainly would not be an overpriced German car. The Z06 or the upcoming SS would be my choice.

Koz
Old 06-22-07, 07:51 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
My first car (at 17) had dual quad 427 (Ford) with over 450hp. I also had the fastest motorcycle made, at the time (Z1). Today I have 200 mph motorcycle. I've been racing (track and street) for over 30 years. I think, I can consider myself a person that can judge what a true performance oriented car is. I find the IS the perfect balance of luxury and performance (yes, performance). I have test driven every car in its class and I can honestly say that the IS350 can hang (and spank) with ANY one of the competitor, especially on the street. Yes, it is more luxury then sport but it can still hang. There is a reason why the IS is the MOST customer satisfying car, two years running. What I hate is when people compare apples and oranges. Comparing a Porsche to Lexus, please! If I wanted a pure performance car it certainly would not be an overpriced German car. The Z06 or the upcoming SS would be my choice.

Koz

Seriously. I have a friend with a new ZO6...Yea it's fast, I mean super car fast with a relatively low budget price tag. What's the first thing he says everytme he gets into my IS350? "Wow this thing is nice man". It's comfy, kinda quick for it's class and a pretty sporty for a luxury car...the paddle shifters arent complete crap, you can hold a gear in it and down shift when breaking. Accelleration is best at using the auto trans.
Old 06-23-07, 10:10 AM
GTMRS4
Driver School Candidate

So much bitterness towards german cars.

Japanese cars are reliable luxury and performance oriented. German cars are pure luxury or sport but never a balance between the two z06 is a beast with a low price tag, but I don't know if thats the car I would buy.