Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

muffler choice - can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 06:36 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default muffler choice - can't decide

I am having a hard time deciding between two muffler choices. The magnaflow or an Apexi N1 knockoff. I am running a turbo so that will help quite it down a bit, what do you guys think. I have a 1993 GS300 and I still want it somewhat quiet, but also want a deep throaty sound instead of an airy sound that I have now. Both run a 4" tip

or

Old 11-15-05, 05:49 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the magnaflow, I dont like the canister style mufflers. I would go with the magnaflow.
Old 11-15-05, 07:26 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the magnaflows and i love them. They are not obnoxious and rather quiet with their deep throaty bass. You can barley hear them until you WOT. Even then they still sound bassy and like they mean business but in a nice way...

If your going to get them buy them from www.hottexhaust.com (Magnaflow's site) for $181 - shipped - for the pair. use the coupon code "hottsavings". It' s a great deal.
Old 11-15-05, 08:12 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Abear
I like the magnaflow, I dont like the canister style mufflers. I would go with the magnaflow.
Why not? This will help me decide.
Old 11-17-05, 01:30 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

I just dont like the way the canister style exhaust looks, just a personal prefrence to me. I like the way the stock exhaust is with the oval mufflers and then you can choose the size tip you want. If I was you, since your turbo, I would go with the mags, then I would get like a 4" or 5" tip, I think that would look hella clean. I think if you go to an exhaust installer shop, they will put it on for you and then they will let you see what the tips look like, you can just hold em up to the pipe. When I got turbo Im most likely going with mags and 5" tips. I have my resenators removed right now with stock mufflers and it sounds pretty good. Problem is I have a hole about the size of a pen, not the tip of a pen, I mean the whole pen. It makes a nasty *** sound lol, sounds like crap, I wanted to get it fixed, but someone told me if they tried to weld on the stock pipes they might melt. So since im tryin to save for my turbo, I said screw it, I can wait till I get my exhaust worked on. Im gonna redo it, pretty much just change all the pipes from the downpipe back. Give alot more airflow, know what Im sayin . Good luck!

just re-read your post. If you go to magnaflows website you can see they dont come with tips, so if you just buy the oval mufflers by themselves you will be able to choose your tip. Ive gone over this with my exhaust shop probably 3 times haha. I went there the first time we talked about it to get my res's removed but forgot my wallet and didnt have time to go back to get em taken off. Second time we talked about it and got em removed, third time was about the hole.

I'll get a pic and sound clip of my crappy exhaust hole and post it up tomorrow, also will let you hear how it sounds without resenators.

Last edited by Abear; 11-17-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 08:05 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

ok, so it is more looks than sound.

The price difference between the two is about $100, and you really can't see much of the muffler anyway. Grr, I still can't decide. But you said they don't come with tips. The ones I was looking at have tips and they run $100 from that www.hottexhaust.com website. Were you looking at others, how much were thay, and how much were the tips? My local shop wanted $190 for the same muffler.

Byt the way, my whole turbo setup cost me about $800, and that included, manifold, downpipe, wastgate, piping, turbo. Don't need a blow off valve with only 6psi and an auto, but add another $150 for that.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 11-17-05 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 12:08 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

If your worried about price more than looks, I guess go with the knock-off. I've never actually heard how either one sounds on the car before, so I couldn't help you there. Where did you get all your stuff, I know the mani, and downpipe came from ebay, and I was planning on getting that one, but since the manifold doesnt fit, I doubt I'm going with that. Where did you get the turbo and wastegate? You dont have an intercooler? As of right now, the total cost I'm looking at is 2600, thats for everything. It would be cheaper, but manifolds are so expensive.
Old 11-17-05, 12:47 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

I might cut the flange off on the manifold and rotated it slightly to clear the distributor...or just get rid of the distributor. I wish SSautochrome would have got their act together and matched this up to an actual NA non-vvti.

The turbo I have is a GT67 for my drag truck, but I probably will be buying a superT61 from ebay too. They seem to have a pretty good spool and are good for 500rwhp. But they can be had for $300 new. That is included in my cost...not the GT67, that was $900.

My wastgate is an HKS knockoff. Cost me $150. Seems to work great. Will know when I hit 15+psi

Intercooler just arrived today. Cost me $125 for a 24x12x3. I also have a 4" core, but that won't fit with a stock bumper.

Piping will cost me about $200 for all the silicon and t-bolt clamps. So add $325 to my overall cost.

So my grand total is $1125 for 325rwhp. Not too bad I think.
Old 11-17-05, 01:54 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

That sounds like a pretty good setup, most of the stuff I am buying I will be getting off ebay(intercooler, BOV, wastegate) I'm getting my turbo for nolimitmotorsports.com, the manifold I'm getting will be from turbo-kits.com they have the turbonetics kit but they sell just the parts. Also with the intercooler, is that the core size, or the overall size? Are you gonna do the piping yourself, I plan on having a shop do mine, it'll probably cost a pretty penny, but I dont know how to bend pipe. I would get a turbo off ebay, but I would rather have a Brand name, that xspower I really havent heard much of. After you get your intercooler installed, post some pics and show us how it looks.
Old 11-17-05, 03:09 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Default just installed Magnaflow muff

with so many CL member talking about and getting Magnaflow, I decided to get them to resolve my curiosity.

i just got 4X9 muffler with offset (resonator intact) on my 94 gs300 installed for $150 in East LA, CA. not the best installation but you get what you paid for. This is without pipe modification.

nice soft sound, and the owner said it will got a bit louder muffler "breaks-in." it may be psychological but car seems to travel smoother and accelerates better.

anyways, i am enjoying my new Magnaflow mufflers.
Old 11-17-05, 03:18 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Hey goldgs3, thanks, now we now how they sound. As for suprrunner, and anyone else that is interested, here is how my car sounds without the resenators and with a hole in the exhaust, also a pic of the hole.

Thats the hole, and here is a link to the video clip I just made, Enjoy.

http://media.putfile.com/Removed-Resenators-on-GS300

Also, check out my video on streetfire, hehe, I made it a long time ago and plan on doing another after I got turbo, the one after the turbo will be much better!

Click here to see Video
Old 11-18-05, 08:56 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflows all the way. Well constructed and the tips will make your rear look alot better than the canisters. my $.02
Old 11-19-05, 12:40 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would choose magnaflow they will see you but they wont hear you . It sounds low but niceeeeee

avoid unwanted attention
Old 11-19-05, 06:32 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Abear
That sounds like a pretty good setup, most of the stuff I am buying I will be getting off ebay(intercooler, BOV, wastegate) I'm getting my turbo for nolimitmotorsports.com, the manifold I'm getting will be from turbo-kits.com they have the turbonetics kit but they sell just the parts. Also with the intercooler, is that the core size, or the overall size? Are you gonna do the piping yourself, I plan on having a shop do mine, it'll probably cost a pretty penny, but I dont know how to bend pipe. I would get a turbo off ebay, but I would rather have a Brand name, that xspower I really havent heard much of. After you get your intercooler installed, post some pics and show us how it looks.
The intercooler turned out to be 24x12x3 overall size which is ok. Not much room up front behind the stock bumber.

I will be doing my own piping. I am not sure if I will do it from stainless or mild steel. I can have the steel HPC coated for almost free. I might even do aluminum, but I will have to check on pricing for the pipes and bends. I just bought a tig welder so I can do stuff like this out of stainless or aluminum.
Old 11-19-05, 06:37 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Abear, doesn't help much with that hole......GET IT FIXED!!!