Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

oil leak problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 11:44 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak problem please help!

I have a 2002 gs300 with 45000 miles on it and I have been using mobil 1 since 10,000 miles and I do all the oil changes myself. Well last oil change I switched to mobil 15k and not planning on going 15k I changed my oil yesterday at 5,000 miles. Well everything went fine and I look under neat and now I have oil dripping from where the transmison meets the engine. At first it dripped fast and then it slowed down. I then look in the hood to try trace it and on the back of engine on the passenger side I see oil marks all over the top the transmison. So bascially it's leaking somewhere over there and then drips down the transmison. I never had any leaks until I changed the oil today. I don't get why it would start all of sudden. Any ideas on how an oil change can trigger a leak? I mean I am almost postive it wasn't leaking before I changed it because I have had no marks in my driveway. The only thing I could think of is when I drained the oil I usally get 5 quarts and the 1 quart in the filter to equal the I six put in. However this time I only got 4 quarts plus the filters 1 quart so I was down a quart. So maybe it started and never dripped. Now I was thinking could it be the rear seal or the value seal? Any ideas? I know it's still under warrenty but I like having an idea on what it may be. I just find it so strange that it started to happen as soon as I changed the oil I have checked the new filter and it's sealed and so is the bolt . Again the oil seems to start leaking on the back of the engine on the passenger side right above where the transmision meets the engine. Also it looks like oil its def not red but is there something else in that location that can be leaking? What about the 15k mobil1 could it be to thin? I have used it before in the car with no problem and it's in my 04 rx and my 91 ls and haven't had any problems with it, so I doubt it but just an idea. Thanks again guys I know you always have ideas .

Last edited by purebliss; 09-09-05 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-11-05, 03:44 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by purebliss
I have a 2002 gs300 with 45000 miles on it and I have been using mobil 1 since 10,000 miles and I do all the oil changes myself. Well last oil change I switched to mobil 15k and not planning on going 15k I changed my oil yesterday at 5,000 miles. Well everything went fine and I look under neat and now I have oil dripping from where the transmison meets the engine. At first it dripped fast and then it slowed down. I then look in the hood to try trace it and on the back of engine on the passenger side I see oil marks all over the top the transmison. So bascially it's leaking somewhere over there and then drips down the transmison. I never had any leaks until I changed the oil today. I don't get why it would start all of sudden. Any ideas on how an oil change can trigger a leak? I mean I am almost postive it wasn't leaking before I changed it because I have had no marks in my driveway. The only thing I could think of is when I drained the oil I usally get 5 quarts and the 1 quart in the filter to equal the I six put in. However this time I only got 4 quarts plus the filters 1 quart so I was down a quart. So maybe it started and never dripped. Now I was thinking could it be the rear seal or the value seal? Any ideas? I know it's still under warrenty but I like having an idea on what it may be. I just find it so strange that it started to happen as soon as I changed the oil I have checked the new filter and it's sealed and so is the bolt . Again the oil seems to start leaking on the back of the engine on the passenger side right above where the transmision meets the engine. Also it looks like oil its def not red but is there something else in that location that can be leaking? What about the 15k mobil1 could it be to thin? I have used it before in the car with no problem and it's in my 04 rx and my 91 ls and haven't had any problems with it, so I doubt it but just an idea. Thanks again guys I know you always have ideas .

Any I idea I see the transmission all covered in something now when I look from the top of the hood. Its the passenger side and it must drip down. However the oil level is perfect but it only drips so maybe thats why.
Old 09-12-05, 09:24 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

The only thing I can suggest is to clean all oil residue off the engine and transmission. Clean everything and you'll then be able to find where it is leaking. Let the car run and start spying. Good luck.
Old 09-12-05, 09:50 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

any pics?

my uneducated guess is a valve cover gasket?
Old 09-12-05, 11:27 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
any pics?

my uneducated guess is a valve cover gasket?
Would a valve cover gasket just leak from the back?

I just don't understand with such little miles on it how that would happen and why would it start to leak right after I changed the oil? Well I really apericate everyones advice and I will keep you posted on what happens when I take the car in this week. Thanks again and if anyone has anything to add I would I greatly appericate it. I am hoping thats what it is and I hope it's not that rear seal!

Last edited by purebliss; 09-12-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-18-05, 10:34 PM
enterconne
Driver

did you ever find out the problem?? i recently took my car to lexus to get an oil change and now it leaks. i'm taking it back tomorrow so they can fix whatever the problem is. i think they might of forgotten the oil filter gasket but who knows.
Old 01-16-08, 12:00 PM
Eric00GS3
Driver

Purebliss,

Did you ever figure out the problem?

I had the same thing happen to me. Got an oil change yesterday and the mechanic said while he was under the car, oil started dripping (in a steady steam off the engine bell). Now there is a drip that comes off the engine bell.

My take is it's either that too much oil was added, causing the oil to overflow, and the excess is draining out the back of the head (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=valve+cover) or my valve cover gasket has a leak.

It just seems too coincidental that the valve cover gasket would start leaking during the oil change, when the car isn't even running.

I'm going to monitor it the next couple days to see if it continues.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-08, 03:35 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Check your owner's manual for oil capacity. The 2JZ-GE should take about 5.5 quarts. 6 is too much.