Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 07:24 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT

Out of the cars I have, my favorite car to drive is still the GS. I admit I was thinking of selling her. I have since reconsidered and plan on keeping her for a very long time.
I just hit 60k miles on the car....and while most cars would feel a little worn down, this cars still feels like its brand new. The engine still so smooth and silky and power is very nice.
Since I already put so much money in the car in terms of suspension mods and body kit....why not dump some more money and get the EDFC and torque converter.

I been holding out on these mods for a long time now. Since I now plan on keeping her for a while now, car is also out of warranty and I have no payments on her.....why not get some more serious performance mods. I mean cars now are coming out are packing a lot of HP/Torque in RAW stock form. I need to keep up with the Jones and still be able to crack the whip when need be and put these guys in their place. For that reason I am still running on the stock 17's which I plan on keeping but I am just barely able to spin the tires if I floor the gas. I know the TC will solve that problem and hopefully get me a .5 second advantage now to 60mph. The car should at least up shift and downshift through gears quicker. Thinking of installing the TRD LSD as well. But after speaking with Mo at SRT he suggest I wait and come back later if traction becomes a big issue for me. BTW, he suggested not to go with upgrading the gearing to 3.76. Therefore, I will hold off on the LSD for now.
Always wanted the EDFC as well. Expecting my first kid next month so need to have those automatic buttons programmed as soft, middle and aggressive depending on who is in the car.

I am heading down to SRT at the end of this month to have everything installed. They will be installing my TRD thermostat, changing out all the fluids, installing EDFC, TC with cooler and tightening/cleaning out my TEIN flex suspension/coils and regrease/lube the sways, etc.

Will definitely post up my reviews of all newly installed mods, and of course my experiences with SRT.
Old 07-14-04, 07:38 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good luck with everything !
Old 07-14-04, 09:04 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT

Originally posted by DrewGS4

I BTW, he suggested not to go with upgrading the gearing to 3.76. Therefore, I will hold off on the LSD for now.
im in the process of buying this mod

what did Mo have against it ?

johnny

Last edited by T.L.W.; 07-14-04 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-14-04, 09:14 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt get into any details, but he didnt recommend changing the gearing on the GS. Going with the TRD LSD would be better as gearing is not affected.
Old 07-14-04, 11:10 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Drew-did you already have the TC? I got a great price from JPI on the group buy for mine
Hope to installed in the next week or two with the B&M cooler
Interesting that Mo did not recommend the 3.76 LSD. I have had mine in for a few weeks now and love it! The lower gearing is a mixed blessing of course-nice around town and off the line, but the revs are bit high for fwy. cruising sometimes...
The main benefit for me is the greatly increased traction-no VSC kicking in when trying to put down the power around a tight curve. The Goodyears have awesome traction and with the VSC turned off and the Torsen LSD doing it's thing, my GS just flat MOVES out of the corners! Other members that have both the TC and 3.76 LSD report some fantastic performance results! Should get me down around low 5 second 0-60 I think...

Last edited by FutureGS400; 07-14-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-14-04, 12:41 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drew,
it would be nice if you could get some before/ after test results on the 0 to 60. It's been a while since anyone has reported results and I haven't seen anyone report a before/after 0 to 60 after doing ONLY the TC mod. Not to be rude, but I'm kinda tired of hearing the same "seat of the pants" remarks after people do these mods. The same thing holds true when people get sway bars, i.e. wow, rides like it's on rails, no lean, etc.

Being an engineer, the butt-o-meter doesn't cut it, I gotta have data !

Use or borrow a G-Tech or other similar device and do atleast 5 or more runs before/after so we can get an average.

My best 0 - 60 with TC, 3.76 LSD, valve body mod, NA was 5.2 sec., average 10 runs 5.4, but with more launch practice who knows.

Very curious why Mo is not for the 3.76. I think it is a better all around mod than the TC. Note: NO BOUNCE on the rev . limiter for me (just in case that's what he''ll say).
Old 07-14-04, 01:20 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I'd like to get some timed 0-60 runs with just the 3.76 LSD, and then again with the TC.
I was hoping to be around 5.0-5.2 so glad to hear you got there (or very close to it).
BTW, what size wheels/tires were you running for those times?
Old 07-14-04, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

drew, for you the problem would be your wheels. imho the stock 17s being so narrow it can't support the massive power drawn down by the tc at all. and in your case, of course the 3.76 gear will only make it worse

imho, if you have tc with the supra 3.76 lsd, it can only make the car better. of course if you just floor from stop madly it's not going to help, you just going to burn the rubber. but if you launch good it's only going to help the rev up and also the power. the 0-60 or even better the 1/4 would be very good

if you have fi that's another story, that's when you should lower the stall speed on the tc and also not going any higher 3.76 gear ratio

personally i would do the tc and the 3.76 in a heart beat. it's the best combo for NA imho
Old 07-14-04, 06:08 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by FutureGS400
I was hoping to be around 5.0-5.2 so glad to hear you got there (or very close to it).
At the time I had Pilot Sports 285/30-19 on 19x 10 rims, running 32 psi.

It will be tough to get down to 5 flat as much as I would like to do that with a NA set up.

We need a chip, headers and a bunch of weight reduction to get the times down further, but obviously those options are very limited.

Wider tires would help since I can still spin the tires for 10-15 feet with the LSD.

I know cheater drag radials on 17 in rims would help immensely, but that's not the set up I use on the street, so achieving better times through this method, is not what I'm after.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-14-04 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 08:14 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 225 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
My best 0 - 60 with TC, 3.76 LSD, valve body mod, NA was 5.2 sec., average 10 runs 5.4, but with more launch practice who knows.
It's comments like this that make me have second thoughts about selling my GS. Damn you Glen!
Old 07-14-04, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'd like to get some timed 0-60 runs with just the 3.76 LSD, and then again with the TC.
that's kinda hard man, like what rmmgs4 said. keep in mind he has valve body upgrade as well on the car, his car is freaking fast. if you put on super light weight 17s, with lsd and tc, and some weight reduction, now i think that might be possible
Old 07-14-04, 08:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sounds nice Drew, glad you decided to stick with the good ole GS boys. Off the top of my head, I would say Mo recommended you not get the 3.76 Gears due to your 17" wheels. That is a drastic reduction in gearing to maintain the same sized tires. As Future noted, he has higher cruising revs with 18" wheels so just imagine with your 17s. It would probably be about 400-500rpm higher in the rev range when crusing.

Now why he didnt reccomend the TRD unit with the stock 3.32(thats is right?) gearing, I dont know.

I really want the 3.76 gears to replace some the snap i lost with my 20s! Although the forged wheel is lightweight (comparitively) it still doesnt compensate for the taller gearing of the increased overall diameter.
Old 07-14-04, 08:56 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
that's kinda hard man, like what rmmgs4 said. keep in mind he has valve body upgrade as well on the car, his car is freaking fast. if you put on super light weight 17s, with lsd and tc, and some weight reduction, now i think that might be possible
Well, I AM on a diet...Oh, you meant the CAR!
I realize 5.0 is optimistic, low 5s is more realistic with the mods I have (after the TC install of course). My 18s are reasonably light too, but only one way to tell for sure.
Hmmm...maybe a CL night at a local track would be a possibility??
Old 07-14-04, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well, I AM on a diet...Oh, you meant the CAR!
I realize 5.0 is optimistic, low 5s is more realistic with the mods I have (after the TC install of course). My 18s are reasonably light too, but only one way to tell for sure.
Hmmm...maybe a CL night at a local track would be a possibility??
yeah, low 5 would be what i shoot for and actually that would be more than enough for me, in this car. i don't really drag my car that much anyway, i prefer to eat people on highway

oh, CL local track day? happened here in norcal before already
Old 07-14-04, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Sounds nice Drew, glad you decided to stick with the good ole GS boys. Off the top of my head, I would say Mo recommended you not get the 3.76 Gears due to your 17" wheels. That is a drastic reduction in gearing to maintain the same sized tires. As Future noted, he has higher cruising revs with 18" wheels so just imagine with your 17s. It would probably be about 400-500rpm higher in the rev range when crusing.

Now why he didnt reccomend the TRD unit with the stock 3.32(thats is right?) gearing, I dont know.

I really want the 3.76 gears to replace some the snap i lost with my 20s! Although the forged wheel is lightweight (comparitively) it still doesnt compensate for the taller gearing of the increased overall diameter.
yeah, tell me about it D. funny coz' my 19s were pretty heavy and now 20s are light, so i didn't notice much slow down. but i definitely felt that when i got to 19s it was a bit slower off the line compared to 17s. so i want the high gear to get back the speed

Quick Reply: Installing Torque Convertor and EDFC at SRT