Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 06:08 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was jbrady and I was doing this project to help the community, at this point I would have told the haters to go **** themselves and make thier own headers and thier own threads!

Some of you guys have gone too far and I dont think I need to point fingers.

People will be happy with the end results im sure, power and sound wise.

And GS430 stock is worse hahahaah!
Old 08-08-05, 06:29 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah no worries JBrady, you did a great job with the headers. A lot of people hear are just impatient and want quick results. Props to you man.

Hollywood did you get the headers for you 430 already?
Old 08-08-05, 06:29 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default whats all the yaking about

whens the next order available. I had something come up, and had to wait for the next go around.

I am curious as to why people are giving negative comments when all information isn't known? PM him if you have a question, or questionable negative opinions. We're all adults I believe
I personally have thanked jbrady for his hard work, and dedication and vision to bring this to a reality. In reality most would just talk the talk but he walked the walk.
Old 08-09-05, 02:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Again, TC does NOT increase horsepower. TC does NOT make the car faster. It does give the car the potential to run 0-60mph quicker due to the potential launch improvement. Fast is top speed potential. Quick is the rate at which any given speed is obtained. I understand these terms are often interchanged so it is worth noting the difference.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I know this isn't about TC's but I don't think either Cin or I said a TC increases horsepower. As far as quick vs. fast, mmmkay. So the TC makes the car quicker, ok. I guess the headers in theory have the potential to make the car quicker (e.g, 0-60), and faster (top speed) by your definitions.
You got it. Not necessarily quicker 0-60 for headers by themselves compared to a TC by itself but quicker than a stock car.
Also, believe it or not a TC actually makes more HP and TQ at the wheels at a given VEHICLE speed in 1st gear below stall RPM. In my first quote I should have stated that it does not increase engine power.

Also, changing the stall speed of a TC is something that Lexus could easily do at the factory for no change in manufacturing costs. They set it at 1800-2000 for a reason and changing that WILL affect gas mileage and drivability. Most performance enthusiasts are comfortable with this trade off but the opinion is not universal.
Right, and Lexus reasons aren't performance, they're keeping the engine quieter and improving gas mileage by keeping rpms lower by shifting gears sooner.
Correct plus there will not be any part throttle reving below stall speed as compared to the higher stall TC.

Neither Cin nor I are being negative. The availability of custom headers for the Lexus V8 is a great thing. How great and how good a value we don't yet know.
Well, Cin probably was not intentionally being negative it is just my experience that often neutral statements will be considered negative and actual negative statements will be remembered and given more weight by those without the resources or experience to judge for themselves. Here are a couple of statements by Cin that I consider negative. Please understand that I am not angry... I am just concerned and at the end of the day this makes more work for me. All that I ask is for NO unsubstantiated negative statements. I also do not want unsubstantiated performance increase claims as that can have a similar effect. Here are the 2 recent negative examples from Cin:
Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
...just another Mod that improves flow... although this has yet to be proven in our particular application... I am sure it flows better, but we don't know if our engine sees it as a good thing.
Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I guess the big question at this point is do the headers work well with our engine and it's fuel management / ECU or do they have no effect or negative effects.
Obviously we need more data but the data so far is positive and that would suggest the engine DOES like the headers.

Peace.
Thanks Back atcha.
Old 08-09-05, 02:18 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hollywood
If I was jbrady and I was doing this project to help the community, at this point I would have told the haters to go **** themselves and make thier own headers and thier own threads!

Some of you guys have gone too far and I dont think I need to point fingers.

People will be happy with the end results im sure, power and sound wise.

And GS430 stock is worse hahahaah!
Hollywood, thanks for the support but I don't see any true haters out there.

Regarding the picture you posted. That was taken and posted by gawd during his install. That is the drivers side which is actually the GOOD side as it has 2 decent runners and 2 horrible ones. The passenger side has 1 decent runner and THREE horrible ones. Here are pics of each side on an engine for comparison.

Drivers side decent runners are the front 2:

Drivers side back 2 runners are junk:

Passenger side front runner is decent and back three are trash:
Old 08-09-05, 02:20 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Last of the First Run

Finally got off my duff and called. Spoke to Betty - not sure how many were planned but I may have grabbed the final spot.
Old 08-09-05, 02:52 PM
beauphus
Pole Position

anyone have another dyno run planned?
Old 08-09-05, 10:35 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote from JBRADY: "Obviously we need more data but the data so far is positive and that would suggest the engine DOES like the headers."

Thanks Back atcha.[/QUOTE]

Right on John...I am absolutely impressed at how well you have handled this very, very long thread...Your patience and professionalism are impeccable... All this, and you do not even sell the headers, nor make a dime on any that are sold. This truly shows your dedication to the Lexus community, and your sacrificial attitude towards putting in so much time and energy...Props to you...

Although I understand the need to see positive "results" when investing money in a product, I personally feel that the amount of time that has been spent on this thread regarding dyno proof is absolutely absurd, especially when any competent person knows that Dynos are quite subjective, and very difficult to prove anything in this type of case... I am not one to be negative, but I again, feel obligated to mention my disdain for the number of members that have posted their complaints for the cost of this mod...it is the same tune on the many threads about the cost of FI, and almost any thread about improving performance...As it has been stated before, I will state again, "IT TAKES MONEY TO GAIN PERFORMANCE". There is no other way to do it. If you want to PLAY, you gotta PAY. I got into a heated discussion with Emerald on this a long time ago...Some of you may remember. I watch my money as closely as the rest of you, but if you want performance, don't bellyache about it, Just Do It!!! So, If you're unconvinced, then instead of posting a litany of unceasing negative comments, or repeated requests for proof, especially from JBRADY (Whom you should not be expecting the proof from, remember, he was doing this as a favor just so he could get a set made for himself), how about just watching and waiting to see the results of the 20 or so buyers that have committed. I am sure that several will post dynos...But remember, that still won't mean much, and you could possibly lose out if the manufacturer does not decide to build a second run, or if costs go up. But Gee Whiz, enough is enough!!

As for me, I am going to stop reading this painful thread, and read on Lextreme's site about it...On that Forum, all the members realize you gotta Pay to Play, and they do not waste time posting complaints about having to spend money to get performance. Most of them know that a set of well designed and made headers like these will perform...

Peace,

Ryan
Old 08-10-05, 05:44 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400T
As for me, I am going to stop reading this painful thread, and read on Lextreme's site about it...On that Forum, all the members realize you gotta Pay to Play, and they do not waste time posting complaints about having to spend money to get performance. Most of them know that a set of well designed and made headers like these will perform...

Peace,

Ryan
No offense, but the thread over there is a lot shorter and somebody still asked the same question that is being asked here.

JB,

Dyno figures please. Drag strip figures will mean more.
I never realized that their site even had a forum until now... very informative performance info over there.

Old 08-10-05, 10:12 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400T
I am sure that several will post dynos...But remember, that still won't mean much
It should mean lots IMO. Any well trained dyno operater with good dyno equipment should be able to provide a pretty accurate results. There are differences from dyno to dyno but there should be a close average.
Old 08-10-05, 01:15 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jbrady
I thought this was the pass. side stock header?? The runner 3 and 4 is totally different
Is that other one from a LS400?
Originally Posted by gawd
Here are some pics from the install, I'll have some more up tommorow...

JB vs OEM

JB Header in OEM heatshield

Old 08-10-05, 01:57 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Jbrady
I thought this was the pass. side stock header?? The runner 3 and 4 is totally different
Is that other one from a LS400?
???? I do not understand your question. The pictures above are drivers side. The pictures I posted show both drivers side and passenger side on an engine. Manifold design is identical between the GS400 and LS400. The 430 manifolds are different but it appears they may bolt up. This has been covered extensively.
Old 08-10-05, 03:18 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a link from an Aussie who built 1.5" tri-Y headers for his early model 1UZFE. These usually dyno at 175-180rwhp. With tuning, less compression, less intake manifold efficiency this car dyno'd 241rwhp That is a nice increase from basically headers and tuning.

Now, I am not saying that is the level of gains for our engines. Just showing that the 1UZFE enjoys breathing.

Sorry, the post is old and the picture links are no longer valid.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=headers
Old 08-10-05, 04:01 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

???? I do not understand your question. The pictures above are drivers side. The pictures I posted show both drivers side and passenger side on an engine. Manifold design is identical between the GS400 and LS400. The 430 manifolds are different but it appears they may bolt up. This has been covered extensively.
Sorry after a closer look the bottom header is just upside down. At first it looked like the pass. side exhaust header
Do you have a pic of the GS400 Y pipe so I can see how much different they are to he GS 430 Or are they basically the same ? Icould only find pic that you had of the GS430 & LS430.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 08-11-05 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 05:05 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Do you have a pic of the GS400 Y pipe so I can see how much different they are to he GS 430 Or are they basically the same ? Icould only find pic that you had of the GS430 & LS430.
The GS400 Y pipe is identical except that the GS430 has a monolith catalytic converter at the joining of the 2 pipes that form the Y. The GS400 has a resonator in this location except for California and Canada cars (any others?) that have the 3rd cat.

TXGS currently has a 1999 GS400 Y pipe bolted into his GS430.

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read