Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!!! engine specifications on swapping

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 08:27 PM
rentaro
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! engine specifications on swapping

ok so for those who looked over my last post know that my engine is out, and i am trying to replace it. the engine i currently have is the stock 2Jz-GE for the 1992 SC300 4 speed auto with TRAC. i was wondering if the JDM 98 toyota 2JZ-GE sc300 engine is compatible as a completely matching replacement save for the cosmetics. i will post a link to the engine that i most commonly find on ebay for sale, but as it is for the later years, i am not sure if it will work. if anyone could tell me what differences, if any, are present when comparing my engine to the engine listed.
many thanks, rentaro

link A) NO EBAY (For Sale) LINKS ALLOWED

Last edited by gerrb; 01-02-19 at 09:16 AM. Reason: no ebay links allowed
Old 01-02-19, 06:00 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

98+ sc300 has a vvti, so you’ll need a ecu and wiring to make it run, it’s not going to plug and play, why would you do that anyway? Your 92 2jz rods are a lot stronger than 98+. The transmission wiring is a different story unless you’re going manual. You need to do more research before jumping into something you may never may be able finish!
Be patient and find a 92–96 engine, that way it’ll be less for you to do and it’ll be more of a straight swap mechanically and electronically!
And no this can not be a stickie thread
Old 01-03-19, 04:31 AM
rentaro
Rookie

the reason why i need a new engine is because there is a considerable knock and i only have so much time before it throws... at the moment i cant find the 92 engine anywhere...
@gerrb i thought i had said this but i guess i didn't, but i only posted tht link as a reference to what engine i as talking about...
Old 01-04-19, 11:42 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you checked a nearest pull a part or picka part junk yards near you to see if they have a sc300, is300, gs300?
any of those blocks would work, as long as you’re not planning on boosting it too much.
If you get a vvti engine, you might as well get a tranny, wiring ecu and cluster and all the wiring behind if you can, it’ll make life easier.
Old 01-04-19, 01:38 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it has a knock... And its already out why dont you just rebuild it? It'll cost a comparible amount to buying a used engine... Except its rebuilt and not used and "as-is" makes no sense to swap out over a knock if there isnt a window in the block yet.
Old 01-04-19, 06:06 PM
rentaro
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
If it has a knock... And its already out why dont you just rebuild it? It'll cost a comparible amount to buying a used engine... Except its rebuilt and not used and "as-is" makes no sense to swap out over a knock if there isnt a window in the block yet.
well you see my situation here is a very dire and not looking too good... as it is, I have everyone I know, including those closest to me, telling me to swap out the car for another, because of how much money it would take to fix this one... and while I did originally want to have it rebuilt, there are absolutely no places near by that either do it or are willing to do it...and I unfortunately only have a scarce amount of money to work with, (1000-500, decreases every day..) so to tow it out to someplace far out, have them rebuild it, pay for the parts, labor, and on to of that, the big *** towing fee that will accompany... at this point, I absolutely hate hate hate hate abandoning a car that I damn well know is repairable, but unfortunately I no longer have enough time or resources to be able to save this car... I know for a fact that once I do sell it, it will be parted out, in which case will be yet another Z30 lost to the SOAB called time... I honestly want to save this car, but i guess i cant. Swapping out a somehow next to free used engine and then actually finding somewhere to swap it out at, it just ain't gonna happen in time, even though it really was my last chance to keep this car going..
Old 01-04-19, 06:14 PM
rentaro
Rookie

Default Well on to the market she shall go...

Before I post this car as an up for grabs to whoever wants to part it out down to a bare chassis to be left to rot in some scrapyard, anyone in this thread want to take a gander at it? If you look at my posts, you can pretty much all what I have done to it, but since it will be stripped anyways, I will keep the rims, and the coilovers. I still have the stock rims and springs, as well as a new set of trunk struts not yet installed due to rear end collision damage... but if anyone wants to buy it to drive, my informations at my profile page... however I only will sell it if your gonna actually keep it alive.