Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 1JZ Parts/Spreadsheet Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 06:29 AM
DaBwyan61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC300 1JZ Parts/Spreadsheet Feedback

Hello! I've been a Lexus owner before (2002 GS300 that I loved but was wrecked by my step-dad. That was a fun story.) and I've been wanting to get back into them as you honestly can't go wrong with them. After seeing a guy at our local C&C with a 470whp 1JZ Mk3 supra I knew this was the kind of swap for me. I've been researching a ton the past few days and I believe I have an idea of where I want to go with it. The swap seems straightforward (on a SC300, Mk3 guy recommended that was the better platform for reliability) and the results are amazing.

My original idea was to go the 1JZ/R154 route right off the bat. However, I've been researching and calculating and thinking about different approaches. The engineering student in me also wanted to keep things organized for planning, so I went ahead and created a spreadsheet of potential cars & parts, prices, and links to help get an idea of what I'm looking at. Some threads throw all kinds of names and parts around, usually without any links, so I decided to try and put together something where you can go and easily see exactly what each component is. And since this is 2017 hopefully the amount of dead links can be minimized. It is based off this old CL post by ConSynX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...parts-buy.html

Any feedback/general advice to give would be greatly appreciated. I know there are plenty of 1JZ threads on here, but I want to try and start going into detail and some hard numbers/providing examples. I am a visual person, so having the links and spreadsheet in front of me to look at each individual piece is very helpful for me.

SPREADSHEET: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This particular spreadsheet is based on the project idea of first starting with a regular SC300, putting a 1JZ-GTE auto in, and then somewhere down the road (with some extra cash as well) switch to the R154 (I have yet to include prices/links for general maintenance to do before the engine goes in). The car I've been daily-ing currently is a 1994 Z28 Camaro. I bought it with 89k miles and while it has been a blast to drive it is still giving me some headaches trying to track down strange problems and quirks (and before you ask, yes we did have to change the dreaded optispark). I want to move to a more reliable daily that some fun can still be had with and something that I can keep tinkering with for a while, plus I can't keep away from the allure of in I6 turbo. This leads me back here to the SC300/400. I wouldn't crank up the boost in the stock twins until the R154 + strong clutch go in, as I known the auto won't be able to handle it as well as the ceramic twins.

I have a few other ideas for projects to work in stages, Like taking an SC400 -> R154 -> 1JZ. There I would start off with the great 1UZ and play around with a manual in it. Further down the road or if the 1UZ were somehow to die the 1JZ could start to be worked in. The other idea similar to the 1JZ idea is using a 2JZ-GTE auto instead, however I'm still looking into 2jz swaps and I know they are obviously going to be more expensive than a 1j and probably not as straightforward of a swap as a Soarer 1J. Some people over in r/projectcars suggested going NA-T on a SC300, and while this isn't a bad idea I feel like these 1JZ and 2JZ (Ultimate Lexus TT Swap Guide) are far better documented and can have a more active community (ClubNA-T is a ghost town now).

And that's where I am currently at. I will appreciate anything you can contribute to the spreadsheet or my ideas in general.
Old 10-01-17, 10:18 AM
trdJunkie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done the swap, but like I am contemplating it. The only things I would *** would also be the 1jz complete gasket kit and power steering line from driftmotion. My sc400 has taught me not to trust 20 year old gaskets, and lines.